Author Topic: Gauging of interest on music review thingey  (Read 45001 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Gauging of interest on music review thingey
« Reply #500 on: July 01, 2016, 11:37:23 AM »
Tarja - I am unfairly biased on Tarja, so I am just going to not do much and really try and see what you guys think of this.

KHS, Sam Tsui, Madilyn Bailey, Alex G - wat.  Like I say that as someone that really likes weird instrument choices/home made/custom instruments, but just... wat?  It is good, but how much of that is core song writing of Adele?  Plenty for how good it sounds.  That says nothing for how much crazy effort is put into getting the sound they do have though.  That is an amazing amount of effort and really great piece of technique.  Like it could just be you do it to have done it?  But the end goal I don't think is much better than like singing over a really pared back percussion?  I am not sure its worth it as a song but as a thing in and of itself its pretty neat?  It also doesn't make for a super compelling video since while its clear that they are doing some of it there, the at bare minimum the vocals aren't done on location just bares the artifice of it.  I think it might work better just as a thing without the mics there?  But I also have 0 fucking clue how you mic up people playing patty cake on if you could do it out in an open field like that.

Lindsey Stirling - Steampunk competetive fight dancing.  I am fucking down for all of this.  Its a good Lindsey Stirling track which I don't have tons to add to at this point.  I love mashing up EDM/Dubstep with the classical violin, thats not shocking by now.

Can we talk about Mirror Ball Pauldrons for a moment though?  That's some Gaga shit right there and I can get behind that.

Just at a baseline knee jerk I would be expecting this to be my pick.

Headhunterz & KSHMR - This is pretty good and it is a mash up of a lot of differnet inspirations.  At its core it is a party track, but it is a good one, nice fun use of that bass tone.  It is super unfortunate that it invokes a previous track pretty heavily that we picked.  It hearkens back wayyyy too much to N.A.S.A.'s Meltdown with DMX and Priyanka Chopra.  Meltdown is a way better song with great use of two featuring artists and I still throw on every so often just on its own strengths. 

It sucks to be put up against DMX when you don't have anything to compete.

FEMM - This is pretty cool!  Second favourite so far.  A dance song all about dancing called Neon Twilight and has a film clip to match somehow neither has dancing nor seizure inducing flashing lights.  I... don't have much to say about it weirdly for how much I like it

Plastik Funk - Kind of eh.  I am not sure where this is set where low 20s is the heat you set to get all hot and sweaty.  Otherwise film clip about harassing service staff.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 01, 2016, 12:38:25 PM »
Tarja - A strong contender right out of the gate, this is like a hearty musical meal.  Incredible textures from the piano and strings layer themselves on a firm bed of crunchy drums and guitar and never let up.  I think the vocals are actually the weakest element - they aren't bad, not at all, but the lyrics are a bit bland and the singer's high choral voice feels exposed and like it doesn't quiiiite mesh together the way the instrumental parts do.  The songwriting seems to be aware of this too, giving more spotlight to the instrumental solo around 3-4 minutes than it does to the vocal sections.  The video contains some domestic abuse scenes, quite strikingly produced, which may add to the impact for some, but made it emotionally hard to watch for me.  Despite these qualms, though, I came out immediately thinking this would be a hard one to top.

KHS and friends - Well... what can I say about this, it's kind of a gimmick.  Well done, though.  They clearly rehearsed well, they have nice voices and really great post-production sound stuff.  Not to spoil the magic, but I can hear enough going on to be confident that that is certainly not unaltered audio from those mics in that videotaped session that we're hearing.  But this isn't a bad thing, it takes a lot of skill to give the impression as well as they do.  I think I actually appreciate it more being able to spot the tells.  I can't give credit for songwriting or lyrics since they didn't do anything of note to the song itself, just came up with the pattycake routine.  When all's said and done though, it's moderately ear-wormy and pleasant to listen to, but not earth shattering. 

Lindsey Stirling - It's bold, it's sweeping, clearly some inspiration from the Game of Thrones TV show and Fury Road here?  Amazing talent and production, sasuga Stirling-sensei.  The drums are super spicy for my ears and almost manage to steal the show from the violin.  The writing, on the other hand, is a little bland and falls back on "dramatic build into a sudden silence, then resume a softer solo violin line for a bit before the low end kicks back in."  Good on its own, but after hearing many Lindsey Stirling songs, it feels like a trademark that's beginning to be overused.  The last minute in particular is a lot weaker than the first three.  Still top listening quality though.

Headhunterz & KSHMR - I dig the fusion of the musical styles!  Not so much the video, that would've been better without the concert clips, imo, but whatever.  The emphasis here is very much on the instrumentation, vocals, and surprise factor.  If you strip it back and look at the writing, it's a pretty standard electronic track.  There's also a lot of reliance on being Loud to deliver impact - when I turned the volume slider about halfway down, the track suddenly became a lot less impressive.  I am still a sucker for the instruments and stylings, but... yeah second listen is confirming this wears out fast.

FEMM - I'm coming into this listening session right from a few hours of the awesome cyberpunk VA-11 Hall-A soundtrack, so my expectations for a track named "Neon Twilight" are high.  Unfortunately this track does not meet them.  There are no dynamics, in either the volume sense or the writing sense.  You can click anywhere on the time bar and the song sounds exactly the same, except for the first 10 seconds and a couple of very brief mini-breaks.  The heavy autotune might be a stylistic choice, giving it the benefit of the doubt, but it just doesn't sound good to me.  It does carry a vibe serviceably well, and is probably good for prolonged listening *because* of the flat consistency, but not really what I'm looking for as a "Song of the Week" thing.

Plastik Funk - The "this exists" track of the week.  "Paint by the numbers song, plus one unique or unusual instrument or sound" is a trend.  Good percussion, moderately cute video, s'about all it's got for me.  It does make an effort to sell itself on a "giddy first love" theme, I guess that's something, but I'm personally not much for that style of relationship so the theme just misses.

Yeah, pretty good week.  I feel like I'm being a bit snobby to some of the tracks, but still didn't dislike any of them, and the top two are indeed very strong.  It's Tarja vs Lindsey Stirling for the top spot, two very similar songs in a close race.  I think the instrumental sections of Tarja are, dare I say, even better than the Stirling?  But then the vocal sections drag it down a little...  but then that piano comes back in and makes my heart race.  But then the video is ugly and Stirling's is great... I think I'll ultimately go with Tarja here, with the big tiebreaker being the songwriting.  Tarja seems to know its own strengths and weaknesses well, whereas Stirling feels like it's just delivering a standard Lindsey Stirling track.  I certainly couldn't fault going the other way though.  Also it's hard not to type Tharja even though I don't even play Fire Emblem.

Tharja > Lindsey Stirling > Headhunterz > KHS > FEMM > Plastik Funk

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 02, 2016, 08:41:44 AM »
Yeah, Tarja was a pretty unambiguous first place for me.  Which...is this the first time a song has gotten 1st place from all three of us?  (Well, other than the part where Grefter recused himself from expressing an opinion on Tarja).

I think where I seem to differ a bit from Alex/Grefter is that they liked the Lindsey Stirling a lot better than I did (Lindsey was like...4th or so for me).  2nd/3rd for me were like Headhunters/KSHMR and Plastik Funk.  (Worth noting that my initial ratings are based almost entirely off of audio, though--sounds like both of these have kinda shitty videos).

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 08, 2016, 09:34:07 AM »
It has to be the Neo Magazon Royale right?  I mean that one is the only one that is a riff on Rammstein to say fuck off to Fascists.  I don't even know if anything else warrants discussion to be honest.

Edit - that might just be because we had an election and the socially right wing party are going to be in power again, even if it is in Minority government and they aren't full blown Fascists but they are still terrible and it was a piss poor election all round. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 09:36:31 AM by Grefter »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 08, 2016, 12:13:50 PM »
Royale with Cheese - I mean.  Yeah?  Yeah.  This is how you do a message song.  It's a lot of shock value and I don't know how it holds up after more than a listen or two, but it only needs one to be memorable.  It would take a long run of amazing stuff for this to not be a shoo-in.

One Republic - We had this song up already back in mid-May, with an amazing video.  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXWrjWDQh7Q)  This version has a much worse video, and inexplicably cuts out right at the last break.  Now I certainly didn't mind going back and jamming to the old version again, but, putting this up is kind of a stretch.

Harry Potter & the AK & Veela & Knuckles - Hmm, I actually enjoyed this quite a lot.  Can't really understand the lyrics beyond the general gist, but I love the echoes and the pitches on the vocals and background stuff.  It tickles my ears and brain in just the right way.  Also fits the dark city street imagery.  I dunno, it may be shameless personal preferences but I really love listening to these tones.

Zara Larsson - Typical "whoo summer!!111" pop consumerism thing.  Nah.

September Mourning - Typical metal thing.  Feels a little draggy.  The video gimmick is cool and good, would be better if the narrative was actually followable. 

Young the Giant - Typical guitar thing.  Well, that's a disservice, it's better than the last two.  The guitar is cool and it's well made and stuff.  Feels like a classic radio song.  Unfortunately those rarely connect with me, and this is no exception.  It's all right though.

Well, only one of these tracks features Glowstick Hitler vs the Gay Muslim Thong of Tolerance, so I think "The Pick" here is fairly clear.  Beyond that it is an average or slightly below week, with one track I personally liked a lot (Veela), a repeat from a couple months back, and some others that are eh.

NEO MAGAZIN ROYALE >>> AK and Veela > One Republic (with the old/good video) > Young the Giant > September Mourning > One Republic (song only/new vid/current link) > Zara Larsson

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 09, 2016, 04:33:10 AM »
Huh, yeah, I knew I had heard the One Republic song before, but I wasn't sure if it had been a video or a lyric video or whatever; good catch.

AK and Veela I think is pretty strong yeah.  Same with Young The Giant being pretty strong.

Neo Magazin Royale doesn't hold up as well as some of the others on repeat listening, but hm, fair points about this one being really memorable on a first listen; guess it is the pick.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 15, 2016, 08:04:57 AM »
Clean Bandit - Very neat song.  The first listen faked me out constantly, every new section was unexpected but welcome.  Video's neat too.  The vocals and lyrics are whatever, but this is about the musical playground anyway.  Tons of styles going on, and they all feel coherent even though they're rapid fired sequentially. 

Russian Pink Hair Guy - Textpad I do these in doesn't like cyrillic and I'm too lazy to change encoding instead of typing all this.  Also it gives a bit of padding for this song so I don't just say "generic party track," since, well, that's about all I got for it.  Much like the stereotyped women in its video, it's sufficiently bouncy without having much going on upstairs.

Twilight Force - Eh, dime store Dragonforce.  Still pretty good, it doesn't do anything poorly exactly, it's just really generic and doesn't do anything outstanding either.  Overstays its welcome a little too, for review purposes.  Although since it doesn't do anything wrong, I can see it being good on repeat listens, just to scratch the symphonic metal itch.

Chvrches - Video's fairly entertaining, song is... okay.  It's blandly positive and... wow, really bland, tabbing back through it.  To shamelessly crib from the comments, the whole song is the same four chords in the same progression.  Another one where I can definitely see jamming to it for a week, but doesn't work as well for me.  The repetition of "bury it" in the lyrics particularly doesn't sit well with my ears.

Elle King - Kinda confusing.  I'm not sure I understand what, exactly, the "things bad girls do" are.  Go to bars?  That's pretty normal.  Bust ghosts?  Isn't that a good thing?  Lyrical quibbles aside though, Elle King hasn't done much for me in the past (Xs and Os was impossible to escape) and Gariland was no exception either.  Country twang stylings, the vocals and the whole atmosphere are just not my scene.  I can kind of get into the groove on the "gonna go to hell anyway" chorus, but then the other verses sap my interest away.

Justice - Bass.  Strings.  Funk.  Bass.  Occasional solos.  Bass.  Vocal backing.  Bass.  The bass is very good.  Very, very good.

Interesting set.  I came out with a bottom four that are all pretty close, and then a big gap, and a top two that are also very close to each other.  The methodical purity of Justice's bass vs Clean Bandit's talented progression, mm.  They're very different, both great, both feel like good picks.  Justice is somewhat more to my taste so I'll put it first, but it's definitely close, and I can certainly see arguments from other tastes for the other four.

Justice > Clean Bandit > Twilight Force > Chvrches > Post Soviet Nihilistic Consumerism Fantasy > Elle King

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 15, 2016, 01:59:24 PM »
Um whoops forgot to post after I got home.

Clean Bandit is good in lots of ways and doesn't speak to me.  Clean by name, clean by style and clean delivery.  It is very tightly produced (not over produced!  Just very precisely done).  Its good and I could see picking it.  I have no idea what the fuck is going on in the film clip though.

АГОНЬ - Yeah it was a kinda catchy party track

Twilight Force - I think I rated this much higher than Alex.  I think this is way more honest about itself than Dragonforce is, but I kinda don't like Dragonforce.  I don't think its very good but I think it is very mc.  Not to be incredibly reductive, it is direct, says literally exactly what it is about explicitly and what it is about is wizards.  It also has the lines

For the fallen ones
We will ride into the sky
Riding over the rainbow's light
For the flames of magic
We will rise again
In the battle of arcane might,

This is the metroidest metal track we have had.  Even more so than Kawaiimetal tracks.  I could totally see picking this on those merits.

Chvrches is a band I just genuinely really like.  Repetition is a recurring element to the song with the crunchy drum line and rhythm section, so yeah it will take the chorus and run it into the ground.  It is also not the best Chvrches track off that album so eh I am not going to fight that one super hard (it is probably my second favourite of the set though)

Elle King I definitely liked a lot more than Alex seems to have?  SHe also hasn't been run into the ground for me.  I was confused why there was so much country imagery invoked in a rock song.

I could just be way too into the line "Three hits on a six is the number that you dial, you could be like me but I'm a real bad child" and it colours the rest of the track.

It does make me kinda hype to see Ghostbusters though.

Justice - Yeah this is the the best.  My favourite part is how much it evokes the 70s.  Not even the bass guitar line, though yeah it is, but Justice is ALWAYS funky as fuck and it is worth noting that they predate the Daft Punk album that spiked that style again for a bit.  It is how much the samples and the film clip even in its simplicity reminds me of 70s sci fi flicks.  The song wouldn't ever be on a 70s soundtrack, but the instrument choice and samples used totally would be. 

I love the bass line obviously because that's like literally 50% of what I post about in these threads. Justice are legit one of the most amazing things we have had in electronic music this decade.  It is all a lot of fun for a few minutes and then you realise holy crap I am only 2 minutes in and there is another 3 minutes.  Then it keeps slowly building on it.  You don't get any strings until then.  They take their time to piece together layers of style here.

Then you get to 3 minutes and oh my gods you have a solo. 

SO fucking great.  30 seconds of that and you bring back in all the elements and you have the song construction all done.  Instead of slipping into an outro each layer of the song gets one more moment to stand out.

I am so glad we have a Justice track that could be shared in this, since I don't think they have put out anything the whole time we have had this topic and I think it is definitely one of the strongest points we have an overlap on?

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 22, 2016, 06:24:28 AM »
The 69 Eyes - This strikes me as an extremely Grefterbait song.  I like the vocals and their pairing with the retro guitar, there's a really nice atmosphere going on here.  Not as much motion and development as I would have liked, the second half falls back into some heavy repetition, but it's not as bad as some songs I knock for that.  Overall a good song that doesn't hold much personal appeal to me, but... could?  It's in the neighborhood, at least, and I can respect that.

M.I.A. - Cool electrohouserap.  Strip Mine is not a particularly fair or balanced Magic The Gathering card.  I expected an environmentalist message, but couldn't understand most of the lyrics and the video... seemed more cool than condemning?  Just a nice piece of work.  The arabic style mixes really well with everything that's going on here.  I really like the sections where muted explosions from the video are mixed in.  Overall minimalist but... it works.

Avicii - Some sort of self referencing joke going on here?  Cool.  The front half of this had a lot of promise, development, good vocals and a diverse backing, and then it leads into a reasonable song, and then - it inexplicably transitions into a single repeating line for the last minute.  2:30 of awesome stuff and then a full minute of bland finish.  How do I even rate that?  With disappointment I guess.

Sabaton - Ok, I knew Sabaton was a top tier group but this is beyond expectations.  Upbeat bagpipe rock that I can barely even call metal, what is this?  Awesome is what it is.  Also topical.  For once I don't mind the stinger of another song at the end, because it illustrates how they changed their vocals and style for *this* song.  Really nice.

Katy Perry - Interesting song, it's a victory/empowerment anthem kinda thing but toned dark and loud on the chorus.  I can dig that, the musical parts are sweet, love the big breaks.  What I don't love are the lyrics, they're bland and overly direct, making my writer instincts cringe.  It's especially a problem at the beginning, though... it does get better later on as the music comes into gear.  Halfway through I was about ready to write it off entirely on the lyrics and vocals, but the instrumental side and strength of the chorus won me back to "above average" by the end. 

Laysha - Ok, I can't take this one seriously at all because the video is softcore porn.  I know I can be oversensitive to sexual elements but... geez, I couldn't be comfortable recommending this to MC's family.  Fortunately I don't have to because the music is generic K-hop, albeit with a good sax line.

Nice week overall, nothing really weak here (even Laysha holds up reasonably).  Nothing super standout either, fairly close field for me but it sorts out nicely.

Sabaton > MIA > The 69 Eyes > Katy Perry > Avicii > Laysha

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 23, 2016, 03:12:14 AM »
The 69 Eyes - Classic rock throw back like BRMC.  Lyrically feels kind of Doorsish?  Yeah Alex is right it is pretty me.

M.I.A. - I think this is my favourite, M.I.A. is just consistently great.

Avicii - Drop is literally at 1 minute.

Sabaton - Needs more bagpipe.

Katy Perry - If I was being more verbose today I am sure I would have lots of words to say.  I honestly find the video distracting from the song

Laysha - Yeah this is alright.

sorry running out of words, just really tired.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 29, 2016, 05:41:55 AM »
You know, there were some pretty comment-worthy songs that nearly made the top 6.  A duet between Melania Trump and Michelle Obama (spliced from their speeches).  A song with Justin Beiber (like...yeah, it was a Major Lazer song featuring Justin Beiber, but still; closest he's been to a top 6).  In the end they felt too weak musically compared to the 6 finalists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPVW2QpgWuY
blues pills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6CPFUhw1QY
Malinda Kathleen Reese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEFWES1hn1M
Tegan and Sara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32n4h0kn-88&t=3m26s
Last Week Tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aldkngvhH8
Don Diablo & Steve Aoki x Lush & Simon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUcXQ--yGWQ

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 29, 2016, 06:40:22 AM »
Blues Pills is one I enjoy a lot, but it is behind

Malinda Kathleen Rose, which even though I said I didn't think the gimmick had more in it is helped immensely by Amber Subdomain in this Veatles medley, but some of it could have been dropped which means it is number 2 behind

Tegan and Sara which is head and shoulders ahead of the rest and I even went in trying to make sure I kept an open mind after how much I liked their last single, but ultimately the delivery, the themes, the boots and how damn good they rock jackets with slicked back hair means it shits all over

Last week tonight but mostly because I couldn't watch it in Australia, but will try again in 14 hours as I expect it is better than

Don Diablo & Steve Aoki X Lush & Simon which breaks at 1:04 and is an okay dance track but is still weaker in the same genre than

MØ which is better just because I like heavier drum line and it breaks at like 1:10 after the intro

Edit this gimmick didn't work so well, now that I can see it my ending and connecting phrases are the same each damned time.  Oh well that's what you get while I wait for flight and only can do mobile.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 06:50:34 AM by Grefter »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 29, 2016, 05:36:18 PM »
Blues Pills - Not unenjoyable, but very basic.  Basic guitar, basic vocals, basic backing.  But this is Masterchef Canada, we're looking to *elevate* dishes!

Malinda Kathleen Reese - Very cool, but sort of wears out its welcome with medleyitis and a feeling of just watching to see all the jokes.  Clocks in at nearly 6:30, exhausting me after a single listen.  The production has a lot of variance too, some segments have multiple vocals and takes and others just a bare single voice.  This feels like it definitely could have been trimmed to be better, taking just the funniest parts and giving them a stronger vocal production.

Tegan and Sara - As Grefter said, strong production and delivery on the themes.  I don't connect with them as much as he does, but can't deny this is a slick package.

Last Week Tonight - I recognize one, maybe two of these artists without context, so the basic joke is lost on me and I had to read the comments to get what was going on.  The one segment where they actually explain things (Born in the USA being about Vietnam) is cool, the rest kinda eh for requiring so much prior knowledge.

DDSALS - S'okay.  Seems very self referential.  "They don't know who we are or what we do" but neither do I, who are you, and what DO you do?  Songs with a basic outline like this?  Mm.  For having so many names on it, it comes out really generic.

M0 - Slightly heavier drums yeah.  Still lukewarm to me.  I'm just not a fan of songs riding on the, what's it called, the popcorn style soundbank thing as their high end.

Basically agree with everything Grefter said this week.  Not a very strong week imo.  It is all stuff that is fine to listen to but not particularly outstanding, except for Tegan and Sara. 

Tegan and Sara > ... what is even second.  Is it actually MKR?  I guess it is.  > MKR > Blues Pills > M0 > DDSALS > Last Week.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 05, 2016, 04:39:48 AM »
Well...my picks this week are a bit more trashy and rap-y than normal.  (With a couple of exceptions)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok7WDyknTw0
Dillon Francis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUkc6QrP6sk
#Gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFIVtIlZC8k
Ali Brutofski

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdmFyyvJviw
luizy & flowsik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsA84bXrBZw
Kanye West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytMqO-WQpQ4
Lindsey Stirling

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 05, 2016, 06:47:21 PM »
Dillon Francis - The video was kind of neat?  Couldn't really get into this track, it has a good beat but the high pitched vocals are not my thing at all.  It's also quite short and doesn't develop much.  Just leaves me cold as a full package.

#Gun - There is a good rap package here, but unfortunately it's in Korean with no translation available.  Just listening to it without understanding the lyrics is kind of a hard wall for rap to climb.  The rapper's voice is good, but not great (watching Korean TV and old Sangmin songs has spoiled me). 

Ali Brutofski - As a cover of a recent popular song, a comparison to the original feels in order... I think I like the original better.  This version is cleaner and lighter, and probably easier on the ears for repeating, but I think, especially as we're moving into the Olympics time soon, the rougher version is actually preferable? 

luizy & flowsik - OK yes, this is what I wanted from K-rap.  Easily compared to #Gun and superior in every way, better backing, better beat, better vocals, super hot rhymes, good subtitles and video that knows to concentrate on the lyrics, and it even tucks in development and some slick symphonic tech.  The quality here is a solid level above.

Kanye West - I was really impressed by the opening minute or two, great atmosphere and acoustics going on there.  Unfortunately the backing becomes very muted after that and instead the song goes into heavily autotuned vocals.  It's cool to see a quieter, more downplayed form of rap, but the heart of the track is laid bare and... it's autotune. 

Lindsey Stirling - Exists.  Generic neo-Disney stuff singing about "home" with a chorus of "whoa-a-oh-a-oh-a-oh-a" doesn't do much for my cold twisted heart.  Lindsey is great as usual, but feels almost extraneous here, like the violin is clearly a background line dropped on top of the rest of the track.

Well, there is a clear winner for me on the rap theme this week.  It would be a simple decision, except that with both the Olympics impending and the DNC having featured it as Hillary's Theme Song, there's some zeitgeist incentive to feature a version of Rise (either one, though as mentioned I prefer the original).  No really wrong answers, seems like an MC call, what does the column audience want/what do you want the column to be about/etc.

luizy & flowsik > Ali Brutofski >>> Kanye > Lindsey > Dillon Francis > #Gun

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 06, 2016, 06:44:19 AM »
Just as a piece of outside information, there's gonna be versions of Rise for weeks.  (There's another Katy Perry version that was too late for the current week's finalists--just a new video I believe).