Author Topic: Good Morning, 2014! #firstworldproblems edition  (Read 18760 times)

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Re: Good Morning, 2014! #firstworldproblems edition
« Reply #325 on: December 17, 2014, 06:11:18 AM »
Snowfire:
Fenrir said it already, but there are *two backups* for FFT.  You shouldn't feel obligated at all if prepping FFT feels more like work than fun.

The issue is that the run should be of a certain quality. Part of my concern is that Chessjerk is just much more knowledgeable than me at FFT. I would feel less pressured if my teammate was someone else who knew FFT well but didn't have like a super crazy time to completely overshadow. Put another way,  if this was just FFT talk between other knowledgeable players like mc/NEB/Laggy, I wouldn't feel all that intimidated. But if I had elmagus or Claude as my partner, I would feel similar. I'm sure they don't, but its the personal aspect.

Also if you just want to go to the marathon on general principles, then you can always offer to run something else...

Just a correction. If you got to a marathon, and are running a game, they expect you to run that game. Like if I showed up and said, "Nah, I'm gonna do Wild ARMS XF" that's not gonna fly >_>. For good reason! I'll submit it the games to other events, but I mean given their length and popularity, I'm kinda putting high hopes on  things to happen. You are correct that a marathon run is typically expected to be slower though. Its basically a demo show and not a "reset until PB scenario".

Although, looking at the link...  no more Crystals4Life?  What happened, Poxnor just not want to run it again?

I had some links to it when it was in active discussion at SDA. To put a long story short, people weren't happy with Poxnor's management style (not getting confirmation on dates/hotels and stuff until like 2 weeks before the event) and he was being very immature on handling the criticism that he literally rage quit. Dead serious (like he was going around unfriending people on Facebook supposedly). So he eventually said that he was resigning due to disagreements. Puwexil took over and started this new one, which has more charity focus on and less showcase focus. Which explains partially why Wild ARMS 3 doesn't get in but Wild ARMS 1 will.

Hey now.  If you're serious about a good time (which I'd argue you shouldn't be, backup strats are interesting & amusing), just have a handy backup save that has good generics & high Chemist JP post-Gariland.

I do want to get a good time, but I'm not going to segment it out. I'll be satisfied with a 4:29:XX. But even now it looks like barely possible. So no, what you're suggesting unfortunately won't work.

just have a save handy at that point post-drop in case the game refuses to be cooperative.

I'll do that when I learn VP2. The game where you literally have a 25% chance of getting out of the first 4 screens, 6 minutes into the game. The best.

Grefter: Out of curiosity, what's the crime rate like in Aussie land? I was watching John Oliver talk about gun control laws and he mentioned that you guys have strict gun control and basically mass shootings and gun related deaths have plummeted. This in a way makes sense. My dad has always mentioned that most criminals are opportunist and are lazy as well. If it forces them to jump through multiple hoops to rob a house for example, they will typically look for other prey. I'm sure gun laws being stricter in Aussie land probably played on that as well, so while yes, criminals won't obey laws, they will sure look for other ways to accomplish their goals easier. And without guns, maybe that's just too prohibitive. He doesn't mention anything about other crimes though, so since it was brought up, I thought I would ask.

In other news, just did a 90 minute grind session on Boomerang to work out further kinks and test the No-Shining-Star strat. It works pretty well..probably better THAN the Shining Star strat, which is amusing. Waiting to do in an actual attempt and get wrecked once I get there though.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 17, 2014, 06:21:19 AM »
About normal for a first world country I think?  It is just less gun violence.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 17, 2014, 07:01:47 PM »
I did enjoy, in a schadenfreude kind of way, seeing the headline news on the Tube, stories like "Man stabs wife" instead of "Double murder suicide - the father used unregistered firearms."
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 18, 2014, 05:27:12 AM »
Just Bolt 3'd Agrias tonight during a run. I should quit FFT forever.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 19, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »
I got a great job far away.

I've never actually been to that city and I don't know anyone living there. I'm starting work in 15 days or so. Allright.
At least a train ride to Paris only takes one hour from there.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 19, 2014, 02:48:38 PM »
I am back in Brisbane for now and building myself a little PC.  I may be back in Melbourne next year.l

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 19, 2014, 06:16:26 PM »
I make my comment about knife violence vs. gun violence and then, today, I see a story about a family with 8 kids dead in Cairns after a stabbing.

It's kind of like joking about violence isn't funny. Way to be a buzzkill, universe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 19, 2014, 07:48:25 PM »
Yeah that shit is fucked up man, but it is also the reality of the situation.  I wouldn't take it to heart or impact your ability to make jokes.  Humor is one of th meant ways to deal with it.

I mean it isn't like you also didn't say it a few days after we had deaths by gun violence as well and look the ratios, knife violence was way more successful.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 19, 2014, 09:21:26 PM »
I accidentally ended up watching a video of a stabbing death. That looks like a horrifying way to die.

If you're wondering how one accidentally watches a snuff video, I was not given context and the camera was far away. It wasn't until the end of the video where I realized the jabs the guy was doing were actually stabs.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:45:25 PM by Lady Door »

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 19, 2014, 11:00:07 PM »
'tis the season...

So, after we just confirmed that DLCon is now the best dates for me to attend...my car dies completely.  Just dropped money on it.  I suppose the 12k$ I spent back in 2005 for the car was well-worth it, but it couldn't wait 6 more months to die? 

Yeah, I am probably out of DL Con just from a money standpoint (wedding in May, so all those expenses are building up now).  Motherfucker...

On a positive note, I like the new car a lot, and it's significantly safer/fuel efficient/longer-lasting, but I do still miss my old Taurus :(
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 20, 2014, 02:06:30 AM »
Turned 28 today. #old
<@Claude> yahtzee

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 20, 2014, 04:34:40 AM »
'tis the season...

So, after we just confirmed that DLCon is now the best dates for me to attend...my car dies completely.  Just dropped money on it.  I suppose the 12k$ I spent back in 2005 for the car was well-worth it, but it couldn't wait 6 more months to die? 

Yeah, I am probably out of DL Con just from a money standpoint (wedding in May, so all those expenses are building up now).  Motherfucker...

On a positive note, I like the new car a lot, and it's significantly safer/fuel efficient/longer-lasting, but I do still miss my old Taurus :(

My Jeep outlasts yet another car. Bwahahahha

E1:

Fenrir: Congrats! At least you found a job you wanted.

E2: Wisdom teeth still hurt like fucking crazy, this surgery has sucked real bad.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:39:12 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 20, 2014, 08:14:29 AM »
Finally finished a FFT run during my birthday. 4:43:03.
Now to cry myself to sleep
<@Claude> yahtzee

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 21, 2014, 04:19:58 PM »
I went out to the play The Glass Menagerie last night. Spoilers ahead! I didn't really know what to expect when I went in, didn't read up about it, it was just this spontaneous thing, but I was a little taken aback at how close to home that the whole thing hit. The story was about a family of two young adults who are living with their obsessive, controlling mother in the 1930's. The daughter is physically handicapped and possibly a bit mentally as well and the son works at the factory to help make a living but goes out and drinks in the evening. The mother is frustrated with the slow progress of her kids, but seems to do way more to impede their progress than actually help them by nagging them. You can see where she’s coming from, she doesn't want to see her kids end up with dead end jobs and/or homeless, but she has specific ideas about what she wants from them and she tells them. Repeatedly.

I laughed at its dark humor as I recalled my past of living with my grandmother who constantly berated me and nitpicked over minor things, and thought of my brother who became a drunk partially because of this abuse. I remembered the all-too-familiar feeling of anger in my heart over an ungrateful family member who you go out of your way to help... who chides you for your spending habits rather than being grateful for the money given to support the family (in my brother's case, he is chided for not being a good enough caretaker of my grandmother despite being the only person who was willing to actually be a caretaker). The ever present rattling of the mother's voice in the play after a while grates at you like sandpaper and I remembered how constant bitching and complaints and criticisms are just things a person has to eventually let roll out of their mind or they will descend into madness.

And then I saw the last scene about the male main character abandons his family, and I felt like I was punched in the stomach. I think there’s a lot of moral ambiguity over whether it was right for him to abandon his sister, but I sympathize with him a lot because it felt like a family situation that was never going to get better. Still… reading up on Tennessee Williams’ backstory, and how this was supposed to be semi-autobiographical, and after he ran away from home his sister was given a botched lobotomy(!). That’s a hell of a thing to have to live with.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 23, 2014, 04:55:33 AM »
http://www.twitch.tv/tideruglia/c/5736927

Just Flare'd myself twice during a run where I had only 1 encounter, no extra math turns in Chapter 2 and like a 5 minute advantage. Excuse me while I commit sudoku. Shameful Dispray.
<@Claude> yahtzee

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #340 on: December 23, 2014, 05:31:17 AM »
Woohoo! Winter vacation in Japan! It's cold.

Decided to hop an expensive bullet train to go see Zenny in southern countryside Japan. Spoiler: it wasn't as much Alabama as it was regular suburban seaside town. Kinda disappointed, but at least I didn't have to "rough it", I guess?

The first night was spent in the largest city on this island, Fukuoka, and was a respectable night of debauchery as could be expected from the combination of the DL's biggest drunkard and its biggest manwhore, plus a Tagalong named Charlotte, who can only be described as the best of both of those metrics.

The following days were spent on being hungover and playing RPGs, as you might expect from a DL meetup! Fenrir's recent talk of LISA had us both intrigued, so we literally marathoned the game to completion, stopping only to venture out to the various restaurants in Zennytown. (Where I was served raw chicken heart while Zenny pounded beers in front of his students.) LISA itself was a fascinating, uncomfortable, but kinda hilarious experience. Especially with color commentary from Zenny.

So, overall a great vacation: debauchery, video games, and good company! Also, Zenny gave me a disease. Dammit, Zenny!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 23, 2014, 07:10:11 AM »
I didn't have to "rough it", I guess?
... Zenny pounded ...

Also, Zenny gave me a disease. Dammit, Zenny!

Conflicting statements, does not compute.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 23, 2014, 09:08:02 AM »
djinns gaping asshole did not have to rough it for my tiny irish cock

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
<@Claude> yahtzee

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 24, 2014, 07:50:44 AM »
tied all i ask is that do you still think this is a good idea

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 24, 2014, 08:39:54 PM »
Yeah dude, I mean sure you made a "commitment" but the stress of this is probably taking years off your life...for what, exactly? It is ok to quit when it is this early and you aren't having fun anymore.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #346 on: December 26, 2014, 03:04:43 AM »
Laptop dead.  Fuck everything.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 26, 2014, 02:58:02 PM »
Yeah dude, I mean sure you made a "commitment" but the stress of this is probably taking years off your life...for what, exactly? It is ok to quit when it is this early and you aren't having fun anymore.

THIS.

Also, found out that dad has the flu this morning. If I get sick when I have to drive 200 miles tomorrow and work a eight hour shift after, I'm gonna be unhappy.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #348 on: December 29, 2014, 04:04:07 AM »
Anyone use iOS IRC clients?  Wondering which are most functional.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 29, 2014, 06:14:18 AM »
I use IRC999

I don't really like it much, but it is functional.  You have seen about how well it works for me when I am connected on my phone.  I think Ciatos uses it for her tablet with more success though?