Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 182747 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #2325 on: October 21, 2014, 06:53:06 AM »
Is that a vacuum cleaner?  And you know that keyboard is a Casio.

All this stuff, 100% less amazing than Maken Shao was though.  For real.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: October 21, 2014, 11:36:28 AM »
What the hell is that game.

Smash 3DS - Things I like: Mega Man's side smash, Kirby's side special, Peach's parasol. Things I don't like: Marth's moveset, Birdmen, Ness' moveset.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: October 21, 2014, 01:54:08 PM »
I want to play the game of UOM but it won't work on my Ipad.  Sad times.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: October 22, 2014, 02:36:54 AM »
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - No-reset run beaten. Six playthroughs in the books! Final death tally was Laura/Jill (1-E), Mist (3-1), Edward/Leonardo (3-6), Aran (3-12), Fiona (3-13), Rhys (3-E), Leanne (4-P), Nealuchi/Marcia (4-3). Did manage to avoid any deaths in endgame despite a few close shaves.

Endgame PC notes:
Micaiah - Capped everything but skill, used Fortify or made anything with less than 30 speed unhappy.
Ike - Kinda not great on speed for the most of the game which cost him some key doubles, but still solid due to str/def/Ragnell/Hammer of course.
Sothe - One of the better Sothes I've had, he actually felt useful in endgame! Kinda fragile but eh, doubled things reliably (not a given with him) and even hit 39 speed by the end, although I mainly had him hunt spirits.
Sanaki - Speed-screwed. Blah.
Rolf - Around mid part 4 he suddenly stopped gaining speed for a while which hurt him, but still, Double Bow is pretty great, and he did eventually gain some for the last couple maps.
Nephenee - The usual pretty much. She never felt dominant but she was always solid and quietly got lots of kills due to that availability.
Titania - Nice Atk/accuracy thanks to Urvan, and Canto. And hammers. Not much to say.
Elincia - Smash things, heal, canto, amazing versatility as always.
Calill - Also got to most of her caps. Had some filler staff use though was the worst of the three at it (I shoulda just given her two arms scrolls ASAP) but fling Rexflame/thunder tomes off enough speed to double spirits and indeed most other enemies was pretty excellent despite low defence.
Mia - Blah blah blah speed and decent enough everywhere else and Ike support.
Stefan - See Mia but worse at everything, still did fine with Wyrmslayer for the dragon map and speed everywhere else. Is it a coincidence I had as many sword-users as I had Wyrmslayers, and as many axe-users as I had Hammers? No.
Ulki - SS strike and is virtually invincible. With canto. Yeah his attack could be better and no turn 1 sucks (Laguz Gem of course) but man it's hard not to be impressed.
Naesala - Ulki with Formshift but who can actually die. This felt like a losing trade, but hey, it means we get cool Naesala boss conversations, so it's worth it.
Nailah - Capped everything except luck, highest Atk save Rolf + 40 speed + ridiculous durability = obvious best Endgame PC, even without Canto or 2 range.

Kill leaders were Nephenee (89) > Rolf (86) > Micaiah = Mia (78) > Volug (72) > Marcia = Titania (70) > Sothe (67) > Calill (64) > Ike (62) > Nailah = Haar (60). Marcia is notable because I don't think I've ever had anyone get that many kills despite dying before endgame before (although she did die on the second to last turn of 4-3, as I made the amazing strategic decision to attack the boss somehow forgetting she was at 5 HP. Player phase deaths are the coolest deaths.

I found myself kinda wanting to watch the story again this by the end this time, I'll have to do it someday. I do increasingly think it is probably the best FE plot, which doesn't say that much of course but eh it's been five years since I watched it last.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: October 22, 2014, 04:21:45 PM »
Let's be clear here, this game is not going to rock your socks. Amounts of socks rocked = 0. It is just kind of nice.

Didn't I introduce you to Maken Shao Gref?

FFX-2 Yattaf Solo: I'm basically done!

I could completely destroy the final boss. I'm like level 84 and have all the important abilites.

What's left doesn't look very fun:

- Unlocking that stupid chocobo dungeon and beating whatever is inside. To do that I have to do a stupid chocobo ranch sidequest where I catch chocobos, feed chocobos and send chocobos in various places, then heal them and send them back, reloading if they have fled, etc. The exact requirements for unlocking the dungeons are not known.

- Beating the level 60 via infinito boss. It's the one that does 60000 damage.
This can probably be done with Full Throttle, the Melfice-like class that I didn't want to use.

- Beating the Super Ultra Grand Cup for the 5th and 6th time to unlock the Omega Ubar Grand Cup. This is difficult because it is 100% sure I'll either run into Mega Tomberry (acts first, instant-kill) or Evil Orb Thing + Evil Mushroom (They can both cast Ultima). I need massive RNG luck, twcie. Ugh. This probably cannot be finished easily with Full Throttle either.

- Beating those big dragons in the final dungeon that appear if you screw up the weird synth puzzle thing (This is FFX-2, synths are involved in the final dungeon). This looks actually manageable, if difficult.

- Beating the desert super boss. I might have a chance at level 99 but not sure. He's a 3 part boss, always use an instant kill on turn 2, and can even cast it if one part is down. I'll try killing both parts to see what happens, but that's difficult. (They have around 6000 HPs each) Otherwise, I'll only be able to beat him with Full Throttle

- Grinding

It was a fun challenge even with all the FFX-2 bullshit; since solo challenges are always cool in games with job systems.
Except Dragon Quest games.

Here is my dressphere tier list:

OP International Tier
- Psychic: I ranted enough about this
- Festivalist (Paine): Available at the beginning, best stats in the game, knows basically every status, good healing too.

Super Awesome Tier
- Berserker: Obviously great in a solo with very high HP, high speed and attack, and counters.
- Dark Knight: Darkness + High stats. Wrecks randoms, bosses too. I saw a faq writer angrily rant about how everybody's strategy in every fight is "Use Darkness, GG" and how this isn't varied at all.
- Trainer (Paine): This class feels like a red mage of sort with incredible ID, the only source of Haste if you don't have Psychic. Would be only high tier, but its most important move, Carrier Flurry, has such an awesome animation that I'm putting it up there.

High Tier
- Gunner: Has all kinds of damage and a lot of speed, but not much defense. I think it's the coolest job. A gunner SCC would be fun.
- Alchemist: The mixes are not awesome this time around. It's the best healer class anyway, and it gets the best MP healing in the game.
- Gun Mage: As usual with blue mages, you get some excellent (but expensive) MT damage earlygame. Absorb is also really, really good, MP healing. I used 1000 needles once. The killer abilities could be useful... I guess.

Middle Tier
- Samurai: Weak-ish stats, but very high damage with Sparkler/Fireworks. Comes a bit too late to really shine.
- Thief: The items Thief can steal are not incredible until you're way late into the game, and I'm not impressed by any of its abilities really. Still, it has surprisingly decent stats.
- Warrior: Warrior is disappointing; its skillset would be very nice if the abilities didn't take so long to use.

Low Tier
- White Mage: Vastly outclassed by an alchemist throwing Potions / Hi-Potions
- Lady Luck: Err... Has Exp + / Gil + / Item + ? Slots are probably good but I hate slots.
- Songstress: Useless in a solo, but pretty worthless anyway; it's often not worth sacrificing one character to enhance the two others. (Blind is good though) The buffs take too long to use, on a class with abysmal defense.
- Black Mage: Does less damage than physical classes, more slowly, with an MP cost and with less defense. Has some weak use earlygame hitting weaknesses with MP absorption (until you get Absorb)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: October 22, 2014, 04:52:37 PM »
- Dark Knight: Darkness + High stats. Wrecks randoms, bosses too. I saw a faq writer angrily rant about how everybody's strategy in every fight is "Use Darkness, GG" and how this isn't varied at all.

It's pretty much the only reason I actually bothered to beat FFX-2. Can I roll over pretty much everything with the same boring strategy? ok let's do it
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: October 23, 2014, 01:13:01 AM »
Berserker was my favorite class in X-2 by far.
...into the nightfall.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: October 23, 2014, 01:36:31 AM »
In Case 4 of Ace Attorney Investigations 2.  I am in utter shock so far.  The first AA:I was my least favorite game in the series with its plodding pace and lack of court scenes, but this game has been magnificent so far.

Case 1 shakes things up even more than 4-1 and involves a great cameo.

Case 2 has a great set-up/location, more fun and unexpected cameos, and an ending I didn't see coming until late.

Case 3 was easily one of the best in the entire series, being a prequel to one of my favorite cases and providing Edgeworth with ample character development.

So far, Case 4 is interesting too.

Overall, I thought fans were being hipsters lording over people who hadn't played the game via translations, but now I'm inclined to agree this might be the best Ace Attorney game.  As long as it keeps up this level of quality, anyway.  Oh, and the fan translation is spot-on; feels like the official localizations of the previous games.  The only problem I have with the game is that the text speed is horrifyingly slow, so it's a blessing in disguise I had to wait and play this on an Emulator since I'm playing at double speed (still slightly too slow for my reading speed).

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: October 23, 2014, 01:45:41 AM »
I downloaded a completed save file almost immediately so that I could speed up the text (I guess frameskip would also work but I don't like what that does to the music). Why Ace Attorney games insisted on that glacial first playthrough text speed I'll never know; thank goodness Dual Destinies finally ended that crap.

I definitely disagree with placing it towards the top of the series but I can see it. In particular I agree that it gets rolling very well and the three cases you've completed so far are all very solid.

Maybe.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: October 23, 2014, 09:43:47 AM »
As always, multiple things on the go at once.

So, I remembered recently that I was borrowing a copy of Mana Khemia 1 for the PSP.  Now, this is a case of good news/bad news, with the good news being, Mana Khemia 1, it is an awesome game of awesomeness!  And the bad eing PSP port, it has the loading times of ultimate suckage.  Fortunately, the save was basically just before you get five people so there's an actual battle system as opposed to a game where you are expected to use MP like crazy, but you have no method of getting more.  Also, Roxis and his ability to play around nicely with the Time Card system.

Anyways, been making some progress with it, both as something to play on the move, and otherwise when at home.  Forgot about Anna and her awesomeness.  Seriously, when Flay eventually gets to the point of being He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, Vayne might be the one who plays the part of The Boy Who Lived, but it's gonna be Anna that gets the title of "The Only One He Ever Feared."  I mean, seriously, the guy has spent half his time running away from her.

Majora's Mask - Doing a replay of this because it is freaking awesome.  And because the other Zelda game I kinda want to replay will either involve me finding all the pieces of my NES and getting that operating, or trying to play Zelda 2 on a GC controller, which, no.  Just no.  Currently up to the boss of the swamp temple, after which I'll probably get me a Goron mask and then do some mask hunting around town.  Probably looking forward to that tower the most.  That place was nice and creepy.

My Life as a Darklord.  Like peanut butter cups, the mix of Final Fantasy and Tower Defense is a fun one.  And, oddly, I've never finished it before.  Regardless, I've made it to chapter 3 and am trucking along happily.  About to get Behemoths which will help to start leading to more choices about how to deal with annoying archers.  I hope they have Guard... because I want some way to deal with those annoying room destroying Thieves.

And then we hit the Intelligent Systems games.  Yup, two of them.  Both played on the Wii.  Both from different non-Wii systems. 

Paper Mario - Yup, the first one.  Played it for the N64 back in the day, but always felt kinda bad about it because the controllers for that system were, let's be diplomatic and say poorly designed.  So, whenever I did some of the action triggers it felt like I was destroying the poor controllers which, to be utterly fair, I was.  Hell, the N64 is practically junk these days because the controllers have been wrecked by the process of using them.  The GCN controller on the other hand, is beautifully designed for this.  And if the years (almost a decade...  damn does time fly) of using them for Blue Sparking and Smashing haven't wrecked 'em, Paper Mario won't even phase them.  Just wrecked the "invincible" Tubba Blubba and need to move on to Chapter 4, so making good time.  Kooper has been invaluable as a sidekick and easily got the first power up.  Goombario got the second, and those two are basically by power duo, though Bow the Boo has taken a good third place due to her badass slap.  Even though she does fear defense like nothing else.  Having played a lot of Fire Emblem since this came out, it's easy to see that this game was made by the same guys.

Speaking of Fire Emblem.  I've been playing Path of Radiance, because I kinda want to go over the story of the Tellius games again.  The moral of the early game was a party wide aversion to gaining strength.  I mean, a point was gained here or there, but Ike managed to hit Level 14 with only 8 Strength to his name.  I mean, a few people were blessed with Strength.  There was Gatrie, who cut and run, and Boyd, but that was about it.  On the other hand, Ike has also been averaging 4 point levels.  Specifically, he's been Averaging Speed and three other non-Strength things.  So the guy capped Speed at level 17, and is otherwise accurate and durable.  Also, after I gave him a Energy Drop, he seemed to get the hint and started gaining Strength, so after promotion her was sitting at 16 Str.

So, mid game, starting with hitting the shores of Begnion is where the core of my team started developing.  I mean, Rolf is turning out great, Nephenee is being quietly competent in pretty much every stat.  Boyd is a solid member as always.  But the real star at this point is Jill.  Remember how I said my early party seemed to have issues with Strength?  Well, that's because everyone's strength growth seemed to be funneled into Jill.  The girl has only three stats she gets with any regularity, but as they are Strength, Speed and Defense, there is little else to say.  She also has been getting timely crits, so she's been doing a lot of hopping out of unhittable locations off of ships or from the other side of trees, murderkilling dudes, then darting back out of reach.  She's kinda been benched since reaching Daien, not because of keeping her from murderkilling her countrymen, and more because I need to cut someone from the team to make room for thieves or people to talk sense into Crow Kings, and because she just has that huge a level lead at the moment that I want people to catch up to her.

Also, special mention go to the less good members.  Oscar is one of the few people on my team who rarely doubles people.  And who rarely kills even with that.  Guy is just lacking anything that isn't defense, really.  But, easy and early Earth/Earth with Ike, plus bonus crit for Rolf/Boyd and potential for Triangle attack means he gets to stay on.  Meanwhile, Kieran got his final chance in Chapter 17.  He got a level, great!  It was a 0 point level.  He is benched indefinitely.

Of course, now all of these games have an insidious and invasive competitor.  I got the new Smash.  Already unlocked Gannon and Pittoo.  Sadly, Marth lost to a little kid.  And Ike was bested by some kind of ridiculous Space Falcon Laguz.  But they will lose sooner or later.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: October 23, 2014, 03:29:15 PM »
Devil May Cry 1 - Just got through the horrible underwater section. Are games contractually obliged to have the most drunken fridge underwater experience possible? Other than that the game has been enjoyable. Grenade launching puppets is my new favorite thing.

As for bosses, I'd say Nelo Angelo 2 and Griffon 1 are the ones I found most challenging after Phantom 1. So far. I assume some hateful bosses are coming in my future. Nelo 1 and Griffon 2 were both rather embarrassing. Honorable mention for the scissors miniboss, who is a giant asshole.

Stage design is kind of like 3D Megaman. The big spike room was entertaining. Who the hell sets up their elevator to be activated by a skeleton hand and to immediately activate a deadly spike revolving room? Asshole.

The game aesthetically reminds me of Resident Evil with more camp. And Resident Evil (1, aka the one I actually played) was already fairly camp. The game feels pretty disjointed storywise, you just travel from area to area without rhyme or reason. "Get artifact, put artifact in artifact holder, kill douchey boss and/or miniboss."

Smash - Haven't been playing as much lately for whatever reason, but I've mostly settled into using six characters; Palutena, Zelda, Dedede, Lucina, Bowser, and Bowser Jr. I like Robin but she doesn't seem all that great so I stopped using her.

Hyrule Warriors - Bought the DLC, currently hacking through the villain campaign. Cia is quite enjoyable to control, whereas Wizzro is too slow for me.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: October 23, 2014, 05:30:28 PM »
Bravely Default: Why did no one hype boss Chocolina yet?!  I got owned in the face by 'em repeatedly until I gave up and moved on to the final boss sequence.  Suspect more DK hax is required for that fight; Firaja is good & all, but mages get wiped too reliably when not Defaulting by Blade Waltz, which is quite spammable thanks to doge.  Relentless MT offense to lock more turns into resummoning is probably the right way to go, but I just don't have it.

The game aesthetically reminds me of Resident Evil with more camp. And Resident Evil (1, aka the one I actually played) was already fairly camp. The game feels pretty disjointed storywise, you just travel from area to area without rhyme or reason. "Get artifact, put artifact in artifact holder, kill douchey boss and/or miniboss."

You probably know this already, but Devil May Cry was in fact Resident Evil 4 before they decided halfway through development to throw out limited ammo, add more badass, and make it its own game.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:32:05 PM by SnowFire »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: October 23, 2014, 05:34:19 PM »
What on earth is boss Chocolina.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: October 23, 2014, 05:38:20 PM »
Boss of Dimensions' Hasp on F10.  (The Adventurer & his dog.  Look, they're both traveling salespeople stalking you with deals...)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: October 23, 2014, 07:01:50 PM »
Oh right. I read about that. Anyway I suspect the reason nobody talks about it is because it's obscure (I did Dimension's Hasp and missed it entirely) and lots of people are pretty done with the game by that point, so very few DLers have actually fought it.

Hyrule Warriors - Playing this on Hard Mode, I've done the first four chapters and the first Skyloft one. I'm not really a DW expert so this makes the game pretty legit. Game's a lot of fun, which isn't really news at this point, and I did the aesthetics.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: October 23, 2014, 07:19:45 PM »
I was pretty done with the game in June, hence the long break before finishing it, but fair enough.

Dreamfall Chapters: This exists!  Just started it, though.  Amazed it finally came out.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: October 23, 2014, 10:36:18 PM »
DOS: Confound your toll, troll!

So I'm futzing about outside town and come across a bridge warded by a troll. Talk to him, he grumbles a bit, and we get the general impression he wants money. He gets exploded instead, and then my PCs are all, "We killed an innocent soul, we're such awful people." Bwuh? Oh, I see, there's a book in my inventory that would've translated everything he said and apparently that encounter could've been handled completely peacefully with minimal cost. BUT WAIT I hadn't actually read that book so how did my party know what the hell he was saying anyway, game? Apparently it assumes if it's in my inventory, they've read it, even if I haven't.

Anyway, I have a fullish party by this point (you get four characters at a time). Recruited 1x viking chick raised by bears and 1x swordgranny. The alternate option in town was a mage who at first looked more useful than either, but every other sentence out of his mouth was "Oh every human on Earth is conniving backstabbing scum, animals are much more noble and honest and I want to live in the forest" and barrrrf. So I kicked him out almost immediately and went all-girl party despite misgivings of swordgranny being an obvious schizophrenic and viking chick being all of a dust cloud away from Pigpen. I probably should've picked the cool mute rogue bro instead since I don't see any immediate way to solve the mystery I was sent to town to investigate without stealing underwear from people so I can have a talking dog smell it (I wish I was making this up). But by the time I found him the old Baldur's Gate syndrome of hrrrrng can't let those XPs go to waste by ditching a party member was kicking me in the ass hard and I'm probably just sticking with who I have indefinitely. So the rest of the group will just have to pick up rogue skills somehow.

Game throws some fairly mean fights at you relatively early (you're free to wander all sorts of places you're not ready for almost immediately) but team's working out well enough. Both of the fighters have Battering Ram and it is great--warp across the field doing damage in a line and knocking down everyone in your path. Extreme cooldown time, but good for getting the slow bruisers into action immediately. Mage girl hastes, sets people on fire (occasionally allies, this is a risk with haste status in this game), calls spiderrrrrs. Viking chick's running as an archer and is pretty obviously the weak link here. Ricochets are awesome when you have a mob of squishy dudes to hit (I still have no AoE magic), but earlygame is full of skelemobs so piercing damage not necessarily ideal here. Probably not using her optimally, I should be spamming specialty arrows like the computer (at times infuriatingly) loves to do against me. But you know, give me an outstanding but apparently finite resource and I'll just never use it at all because what if I run out when I really really need it?!

Game also really likes environmental effects and really wants you to pay attention to them. (Protip, poison is incredibly flammable for some reason. Fire/poison magic combo chosen at chargen accidentally an excellent selection.) Continues to be mostly generic fantasy romp and talking to the animals is more fun than talking to the people*, but battles are tense enough that winning them feels satisfying. Encounters are pretty much all planned setpiece fights so far as I can tell; if anything respawns, it takes longer than I've spent in-game so far for it to happen (which yeah kinda solidifies that I'm probably never changing the party again just because I'm not sure getting a new PC caught up is remotely feasible even relatively early into the game).

(*I've decided that knight girl spends so much time talking to animals that she must be a vegetarian and will never eat any of the meat recovery items clogging up my inventory. They're kind of useless anyway!)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:39:59 PM by El Cideon »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: October 23, 2014, 10:54:03 PM »
I hope the irony of you not liking the hippy Mage and running your own hippy Mage was not lost on you.

Really you just want all mages to be Xan right?  At first hearing complaints about how the city is terrible and overwhelming only to go to the forests and hear about how the wilderness makes you feel so insignificant.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: October 24, 2014, 12:03:32 AM »
Man I really want to Yattaf this as a mage.

FFX-2 Yattaf Solo: Yes the final bosses were indeed very easy.
I also beat the uber enemies in the final dungeon. They weren't so bad with a little strategy, just time consuming. They mostly use a very damaging, fast physical attack, they also use an attack that does 50% mHP damage every 10 turns or so, and they automatically use a magic spell that dispels and does around 56% mHP damage, at 75% HP, 50% HP, and 25% HP.

It turns out the songstress defense song is very effective after being used 10 times (As it should be. It reduces damage to 10% or so), so I Just spammed that after using Psychomancer's physical immunity. Then switch to Samurai for Protect, and switch to Berserker for damage. Use a potion everytime he does the mHP move, and start from the beginning everytime he uses Dispel.

This strategy could also work for the annoying Via Infinito boss, we'll see.

Gods will be watching (dogs): I haven't even gotten past the first scene!

It definitely looks interesting but I feel that the high difficulty sabotages the game itself.

This is supposed to be a tense, nervous experience, and it is at first, but then you die over and over and begin to see the exact mechanics at work. (Negotiating with the cops always gives me 3 turns, etc) At this point the game isn't a psychological experience anymore, but a math problem to solve, and not an especially fun one.

PERHAPS THE SAME COULD BE SAID OF ALL RPGS but here this really doesn't work for me. You're supposed to reflect on the fact that, for example, you've hurt hostages, but the game only keeps track of the 657th try, the one where you did succeed. So there's no emotional impact.

Also I have already seen one thing that makes no sense whatsoever. When you have no hostage under control the cops throw a grenade and you die. BUT when they come close, even if you have still hostages under control, they also throw a grenade, killing the hostages. -> ???

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: October 24, 2014, 02:28:13 AM »
I hope the irony of you not liking the hippy Mage and running your own hippy Mage was not lost on you.

Really you just want all mages to be Xan right?  At first hearing complaints about how the city is terrible and overwhelming only to go to the forests and hear about how the wilderness makes you feel so insignificant.

I wouldn't know! I never used Xan because BG PC recruited halfway through the game.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: October 24, 2014, 04:27:51 AM »
If you did Nashkel mines in the "Middle" of Baldur's Gate then you really need to do it earlier on a replay.  It is just kobolds bro.  They are meant to be beat at level 1.  Given that you will probably be level 2 just from the walk there the place really isn't that bad...    (And more Cid replays and posts about BG I wouldn't knock)

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: October 24, 2014, 04:48:47 AM »
I can never get the hang of playing BG. I have it, but I always end up dying within the prologue. I'm really not certain what I'm supposed to do at any given point. >_>

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: October 24, 2014, 04:58:39 AM »
You are supposed to put up with 2nd Edition being really stupid.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: October 24, 2014, 11:03:58 AM »
So Grefter if I decided to run a bard in BG how bad an idea would that be.

(I'd guess Very because Haer'dalis.)