Register

Author Topic: Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation  (Read 4663 times)

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation
« on: March 05, 2011, 03:20:51 PM »
So this isn't a very interesting duelling cast and not much has changed since the original besides the localizers renaming just about everyone and about five other people will care, but what the hell, as the resident DQ6 fanboy I'm making a stat topic anyways. Fortunately the lack of changes means I didn't have to do a ton of work.

Some quick notes:

-The main character has no default name in-game, but the manga adapation calls him Botsu/Botts/insert preferred spelling here. Meeple convinced me to go with 'Botts' for the DQ6o stat topic for reasons that I've forgotten by now, so in the spirit of SquareEnix/Nintendo changing just about every single character and town's name I'm calling him Botsu in this one.

-DQ6 has a class system, which it refers to as vocations. Terry joins as a Gladiator with the Warrior and Martial Artist vocations mastered already, while Lizzie starts off in the Dragon vocation. Everyone is stuck with their short level-up skillset only, save for arguably Botts. He can access the overpowered Hero class by mastering one of four advanced vocations (Gladiator, Sage, Ranger, or Luminary), while every other PC must master all four of those, which requires insane amounts of grinding. Since this is a rather significant judgment call, I'm listing Botts' stats both with and without the Hero vocation below.

-The six earliest joining PCs are taken at about 500K exp. Later joining PCs get exp penalities based on what they join at relative to the rest of the cast, although this is a really minor penalty (1-3 levels) for everyone except Lizzie.

-The Double Up skill is an initiative move that beats all other initiative moves (except for Kaclang, supposedly). Since that's a mouthful of a move explanation, I'm just taking a crib from Pokemon terminology and labelling it as a +2 initiative move.

-The Beastmaster class's (crappy low percentage) monster recruitment ability is gone in this version; instead, eight Slimes can be recruited by fulfilling certain requirements. 3 of them are gotten simply by talking to them after progressing far enough into the game, and they are included in this topic. 3 others require either tag mode (local wireless interaction with other players) or beating the game, and are pretty obvious omissions. The laster two require completing non-trivial minigames, so they're more ambiguous:

-Kingsley the King Slime requires beating level 7 in the Style Contest, which isn't hard per se but requires a lot of annoying faq-perusal for good style equipment, especially if you accidentally sell an earlygame equip with low defense but high style. No matter when he's recruited, Kingsley would be underlevelled with a bad duelling skillset and basically just lower all the averages.
-Goober the Slime is recruited by completing the A Rank level at Slimopolis. When this can be achieved varies dramatically depending on what slimes you use and what vocations they have learned, which makes it really hard to put an endgame level on him, except that he'll probably be underlevelled no matter what. He also has some Yamikei-esque aftergame skills that would impact his duelling abilities dramatically.

If several people ask for him I'm willing to put Kingsley up later, though I'll need convincing to include him in the averages. Goober feels like too much trouble to bother with unless he has significant demand, and even there I'll need help determing what sort of exp penalty is appropriate for him.

-It's not as clear in this version since they were all lumped together in the menu, but abilities are distinguished from spells in that they work when silenced and ignore Bounce and the enemy-only magic nullifying move, even if they have an MP cost attached.

-Moves in italics are useful in a team setting only. I'm listing them because I suspect these characters are far more likely to come up in RPGmon than the DL or any sort of board tournament.

DQ6 elements

Since elements in this game are convoluted and sometimes completely non-intuitive, I'm providing a full explanation here.

Note that the in-game description declares that equipment resists "Magic" if any of the first five elements is resisted, without any further context. For this stat topic, I'll be listing the exact elements resisted. I've grouped the first three elementals under the label of "Fire magic", as resists for the three of them are identical for all equipment. This is not true of innate resists for enemies and PC monsters, however.

There are ten lines of elements used for attack spells and abilities. They are as follows:

Frizz- Includes the Frizz line of spells, Big Banga, and the extra damage from Fire Blade and (I presume) Fire Claw.

Sizz- Includes the Sizz line of spells and Flame Slash.

Bang- Includes the Bang line of spells, plus the Lightning and Lightning Slash abilities. It makes no sense whatsoever for those two to be Bang instead of Zap, but that's Dragon Quest for you.

Crack- Includes the Crack line of spells, plus Kacrackle Slash and the extra damage from Blizzard Blade and (I presume) Icicle Dirk.

Woosh- Includes the Woosh line of spells, Tidal Wave, Stomp, and Pearly Gates. Consequently Woosh resistance arguably means resistance to Water, Earth, and Holy elements in the DL as well.

Zap- Includes the Zap line of spells, Gigaslash, Lightning Storm, and the extra damage from Sword of Ramias.

Flame- Includes all the fire-elemental Breath attacks, Magma Burst, Pyre o' Fire, and Magic Burst.

Blizzard- Includes all the ice-elemental Breath attacks.

Strike- Includes Knuckle Sandwich, Stone's Throw, Boulder Toss, and Multislice. This is a 'hidden' element of sorts, in that these attacks aren't obviously elemental like the above moves, but are resistable nonetheless because the developers deemed them too good to go completely unresisted.

Summon- Used for Call to Arms only, to my knowledge, and basically exists to render that skill nigh-useless despite the extremely high on-paper damage potential.

For the majority of damage-dealing attacks, resistance reduces the damage dealt. Two moves, Lightning Storm and Knuckle Sandwich, are in the unusual position of having their accuracy modified by resistance instead, for some reason.

With PC attacks, I've attempted to simplify things by listing every attack by whatever traditional element (i.e. Fire, Ice, Wind, etc.) the attack maps out to. The only exception is Strike-elemental, which doesn't map to any conventional RPG element, only esoteric ones from games like Pokemon. If people would prefer listing attacks by their precise in-game elements, I'm willing to switch everything other to that instead, however.

Resistances are unfortunately too complex to list like this with things like four separate fire elements and Woosh arguably covering 3-4 elements by itself, so I had to list them by specific elements.

Storebought equipment list

Instead of listing all the secondary equip options for each character up top, I'm just making a list of relevant storebought gear down here. Most of this is just minor resistence variations, which make little difference in practice but clogged up the PC info section in the DQ6o topic.

Weapons

Poison Needle [1 damage, chance of instant death] - Milly, Ashlynn, Nevan, Terry, Healie, Spot
Poison Moth Knife [+24 Attack, chance of paralysis] - Milly, Ashlynn, Nevann, Healie, Spot
Dream Blade [+65 Attack, chance of sleep] - Botsu, Amos, Terry, Goowain

Armour

Mirror Armour [+95 Defense, 50% of reflecting magic] - Botsu, Amos, Terry (ignored in stat topic)
Gigant Armour [+92 Defense, -15 Flame/Blizzard damage] - Botsu, Carver, Amos, Terry, Lizzie, Goowain
Flame Armour [+70 Defense, -20 Crack/Blizzard damage] - Botsu, Carver, Amos, Terry, Lizzie, Goowain
Flowing Dress [+65 Defense, -30 Fire magic/Flame damage] - Milly, Ashlynn, Nevan, Healie, Spot
Magic Armour [+50 Defense, -10 Fire magic/Crack/Woosh damage] - Botsu, Carver, Nevan, Amos, Terry, Goowain
Magical Skirt [+45 Defense, -20 Fire Magic/Crack/Woosh damage] - Milly, Ashlynn, Healie, Spot

Shield

Upgraded Ogre Shield [+65 Defense, -10 Flame/Blizzard damage] - Carver, Amos, Terry, Lizzie, Goowain
Silver Shield [+55 Defense, -25 Fire magic/Flame damage] - Hero, Carver, Milly, Ashlynn, Terry, Healie, Spot
Flame Shield [+40 Defense, -20 Crack/Blizzard damage] - Botsu, Carver, Amos, Terry, Lizzie

PC Stats

Botsu (Heroic Mime)

Sword of Ramias [+145 Attack, additional Lightning damage]
Armour of Orgo [+100 Defense, -35 Fire magic/Flame damage]
Shield of Valora [+65 Defense, -30 Crack/Blizzard damage]
Helm of Cebath [+50 Defense, resist Sleep/Confusion/Silence/Instant Death]

Level 38

HP: 303
MP: 138
Strength: 120
Agility: 92
Resilience: 52
Wisdom: 84

Attack: 265
Defense: 267

Physical: 102 Non-elemental + 51 Lightning damage (153 total)

Spells
Sap: -50% Defense (3 MP)
Zap: 70-90 (80 average) Lightning damage, MT (6 MP)
Heal: 30-40 (35 average) HP healing (2 MP)

Stats with G-Stone equipped

Level 38
Vocation: Hero

HP: 333
MP: 191
Strength: 132
Resilience: 52
Wisdom: 96

Attack: 277
Defense: 267

Regenerate 80 HP per turn

Physical: 108 Non-elemental + 54 Lightning damage (162 total)

Spells
Sap: -50% Defense (3 MP)

Abilities
Gigaslash: 350-410 (380 average) Lightning damage, GT (20 MP)
Meditate: 500 HP healing, self-target only
Disruptive Wave: Dispel enemy stat modifiers and buffs, MT
Lightning Storm: 210-290 (250 average) Lightning damage, MT, hit rate modified by target resist instead of damage (25 MP)

Carver

Blizzard Blade [+105 Attack, additional Ice damage]
Gigant Armour [+92 Defense, -15 Flame/Blizzard damage]
Ogre Shield [+65 Defense, -10 Flame/Blizzard damage]
Great Helm [+50 Defense]

Level 37

HP: 351
MP: 83
Strength: 151
Agility: 87
Resilience: 67
Wisdom: 47

Attack: 256
Defense: 274

Physical: 98 Non-elemental + 49 Ice damage (147 total)

Abilities
Knuckle Sandwich: 196 Strike-elemental damage, hit rate modified by target resist instead of damage
Double Up: 196 damage, +2 initiative, take double damage from all attacks for that round
Forbearance: Take all attacks targetted at allies

Milly

Sun Fan [+110 Attack, GT]
Flowing Dress [+65 Defense, -30 Fire magic/Flame damage]
Silver Shield [+55 Defense, -25 Fire Magic/Flame damage]
Hermes' Hat [+28 Defense]
Fishnet Stockings [+5 Defense]

Level 37

HP: 259
MP: 148
Strength: 83
Agility: 116
Resilience: 57
Wisdom: 104

Attack: 193
Defense: 210

Physical: 66 damage, GT

Spells
Midheal: 80-90HP healed (5 MP)
Buff: +50% defense, stackable to... +100% or 472 total defense apparantly (2 MP)
Dazzle: Lower accuracy to 5/8, GT, accuracy untested (5 MP)
Sleep: Inflict sleep (up to 4 turns), GT, accuracy untested (3 MP)
Squelch: Heals POIZN! (2 MP)
Bang: 20-30 (25 average) Fire damage, MT (5 MP)
Crack: 10-20 Ice damage (3 MP)
Kabuff: +25% defense, stackable, MT (3 MP)

Ashlynn

Gringham Whip [+145 Attack, GT]
Hermes' Hat [+28 Defense]
Fishnet Stockings [+5 Defense]

Level 36

HP: 199
MP: 183
Strength: 71
Resilience: 45
Wisdom: 92

Attack: 216
Defense: 198

Physical: 78 damage, GT

Spells
Dazzle: Lower accuracy to 5/8, GT, accuracy untested (5 MP)
Sleep: Inflict sleep (up to 4 turns), GT, accuracy untested (3 MP)
Fuddle: Inflict confusion, GT, accuracy untested (5 MP)
Sap: -50% defense (2 MP)
Drain Magic: Drain 14 MP
Kasap: -25% defense, MT (4 MP)

Abilities
Magic Burst: MP*2 damage, Fire-elemental, 366 damage at full MP (all MP)

Nevan

Fire Blade [+87 Attack, additional Fire damage]
Magic Shield [+20 Defense, -5 Flame damage]
Thinking Cap [+40 Defense, +15 Wisdom]

Level 37

HP: 276
MP: 148
Strength: 109
Agility: 88
Resilience: 75
Wisdom: 111 (+15)

Attack: 196
Defense: 200

Physical: 66 Non-elemental + 33 Fire damage (99 total)

Spells
Fullheal: (7 MP)
Whack: Instant Death, accuracy untested (4 MP)
Fizzle: Inflict Silence, GT, accuracy untested (3 MP)
Swoosh: 25-55 (40 average) Wind damage (4 MP)
Zing: 50% chance of reviving target at half HP (10 MP)
Tingle: Cure paralysis and sleep, MT (2 MP)

Amos

Great Helm [+50 Defense]

Level 34

HP: 281
MP: 82
Strength: 122
Agility: 88
Resilience: 93
Wisdom: 78

Attack: 227
Defense: 300

Physical: 83 Non-elemental + 41 Ice damage (124 total)

Spells
Heal: 30-40 HP Healing (2 MP)

Abilities
Megamorphosis: Lose control for remainder of battle, randomly using physical, Stomp (50-65 Earth damage), and Thin Air (118 Wind damage, MT)

Goowain (Slime Knight)

Great Helm [+50 Defense]

Level 37

HP: 273
MP: 108
Strength: 104
Agility: 110
Resilience: 87
Wisdom: 86

Attack: 209
Defense: 294

25% Frizz, Instant Death resistance
60% Sizz, Bang, Woosh, Zap, Sleep, Paralysis, Silence, and MP Drain resistance

Physical: 74 Non-elemental + 37 Ice damage (111 total)

Spells
Kabuff: +25% defense, MT, stackable (3 MP)
Heal: Heal 30-40 HP (2 MP)
Drain Magic: Drain 14 MP

Abilities
Focus Strength: Next physical hit does 2-2.5x damage
Falcon Slash: 55x2 (110 total) damage

Healie (Healslime)

Slime Helmet [+40 Defense]

Level 33

HP: 201
MP: 225
Strength: 65
Agility: 112
Resilience: 85
Wisdom: 58

Attack: 175
Defense: 245

25% Frizz, Flame, Silence resistance
60% Sizz, Bang, Sleep, Poison, Paralysis, Instant Death, MP Drain resistance

Physical: 57 damage, GT

Spells
Fullheal: (7 MP)
Omniheal (36 MP): Full heal, MT (36 MP)

Spot (Mottle Slime)

Level 36

HP: 291
MP: 52
Strength: 122
Agility: 74
Resilience: 53
Wisdom: 43

Attack: 232
Defense: 213

Immune to Silence, MP Drain

Physical: 86 damage, GT

Abilities
Double Up: 172 damage, +2 Initiative, take double damage from all attacks for that round
Follow Suit: Counter and mimic any attack used against caster for that round

Double Up does more damage so it arguably should be included in the average instead, but I'm hesitent to do so when it has such a significant drawback attached. I guess I could halve Spot's HP for that particular average to simulate the effect, but having a higher HP average and lower damage average feels like it makes more sense to me in this case. Your mileage may vary.

Terry

Great Helm [+50 Defense]

Level 35
Vocation: Gladiator

Stats in parentheses are after class modifiers.

HP: 267 (320)
MP: 100 (60)
Strength: 103 (138)
Agility: 118 (129)
Resilience: 61 (67)
Wisdom: 86 (68)

Attack: 208 (243)
Defense: 268 (274)

All damage numbers as of right now assume Gladiator-modified stats.

Physical: 91 Non-elemental + 45 Ice damage (136 total)

Abilities
Knuckle Sandwich: 182 Strike-elemental damage, hit rate modified by target resist instead of damage
Multifists: 45x4 (180 total) damage
Mercurial Thrust: 68 Non-elemental + 45 Ice (113 total) damage, Initiative
Gust Slash: 118 Wind + 45 Ice (163 total) damage
Boulder Toss: 90-130 (110 average) Strike-elemental damage
Wind Sickles: 103-126 (114.4 average) Wind damage
Hatchet Man: 243 defense-ignoring damage, 37.5% accuracy
Pressure Pointer: Attempt to inflict Instant Death, 45 damage if unsuccessful, ID rate untested
Focus Strength: 2-2.5x damage on next physical hit

Lizzie (Hackasaurus)

Great Helm [+50 Defense]

Level 14
Vocation: Dragon

HP: 317 (412)
MP: 97 (77)
Strength: 141 (189)
Agility: 87 (69)
Resilience: 150 (180)
Wisdom: 132 (118)

Attack: 246 (294)
Defense: 357 (387)

25% Flame, Frizz, Strike resistance
60% Sizz, Bang, Instant Death, Confusion resistance
Immune to Woosh, Blind, Sleep, Silence, MP Drain

All damage numbers as of right now assume Dragon-modified stats.

Physical: 117 Non-elemental + 58 Ice damage (175 total)

Spells
Kazing: Revive with full HP (20 MP)

Abilities
C-C-Cold Breath: 210-230 (220 average) Ice damage, MT
Scorch: 150-170 damage (160 average) Fire damage, MT
FalconSlash: 87x2 (174 total) damage
Hatchet Man: 294 defense-ignoring damage, 37.5% hit rate

Averages

Damage
[Hero Botsu (380)] > Lizzie (220) > Carver (196) > Terry (182) > Botsu (164) > Amos (122) > Goowain (111) > Nevan (99) > Spot (86) > Ashlynn (78) > Milly (66) > Healie (57)
Average: 126 [145 w/ Hero Botsu] {133 w/ Hero Botsu using Lightning Storm}

Adding three additional PCs really with dropping the Gigaslash average number down.

HP
Lizzie (412) > Carver (351) > [Hero Botsu (333)] > Terry (320) > Botsu (303) > Spot (291) > Amos (281) > Nevan (276) > Goowain (273) > Milly (259) > Healie (201) > Ashlynn (199)
Average: 288 [291 w/ Hero Botsu]

Agility
Terry (129) > Milly (116) > Healie (112) > Goowain (110) > Botsu (92) = Ashlynn (92) > Nevan (88) = Amos (88) > Carver (87) > Spot (74) > Lizzie (69)
Average: 96
SD: 18.4

Defense
Lizzie (387) > Amos (300) > Goowain (294) > Carver (274) = Terry (274) > Botsu (267) > Healie (245) > Spot (213) > Milly (210) > Nevan (200) > Ashlynn (198)
Average: 260
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:33:02 PM by hinode »

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:40:01 AM »
Worth noting that Double Up, in addition to going first, ignores evade/accuracy, can not crit, and can not be buffed/debuffed. Yeah. And I completely agree with ignoring it for a damage average purpose, since the penalty it carries is so significant and halving HP is just shifting the averages awkwardly.

I think the Armour of Orgo gives 35 Fire/Magic resistance, which means Botsu has a total of 65. That is quite a lot (treated as Mdef and factoring in everyone, that leads to slightly higher than ~200% magic durability)

I would suggest removing Lizzie/Terry's class stat bonuses to better reflect their worth, since the rest of the cast doesn't get access to class stat bonuses that they have in-game and it's perfectly fair to force them 'bare' for the purposes of a stat topic. I would also point out that Knuckle Sandwich is pretty much worthless against bosses (the game kinda treats it as a 'status') and I would tend to view this as carrying over to the DL (ignoring it for Carver's damage average contribution). Actually, Lizzie wouldn't be THAT bothered by losing out, as her speed goes back to 'slightly slow' instead of 'horrible'.

Also, Lizzie's top-end breaths aren't really something you're likely to nab by endgame as there just aren't that many battles before the end. I would suggest going with...
Freezing Blizzard: 130 Ice damage to all enemies
Inferno: 80 fire damage to all enemies

- Status effects are 95% accurate unless the target has Weak Resistance (75% accurate), Strong Resistance (40% accurate), or Immunity. So the base rates are 95% for all status magic, which is just sweet.

But anyways.

Kingsley: (Assumed to join around the same you get Terry)
Level: 15

HP: 199
MP: 147
Strength: 83
Agility: 85
Resilience: 84
Wisdom: 102

Attack: 193
Defense: 244

30% Resistance to Crack/Sap
60% Resistance to Frizz/Sizz/Bang/Dazzle/Sleep/Drain MP/Fizzle/Confuse/Paralyze/Summon
Immune to Death/Stop

Attack: 66 physical damage
Midheal (5 MP): 75 HP healing
Muster Strength: Next attack deals 2-2.5x (225% average) normal damage.
Body Slam: Deals 80% of target's HP to both target and Kingsley.

Comments: Yep. Lowers the averages.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:15:30 AM by Pyro »

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:39:30 AM »
I see DQ6 continues (started?) the tradition of the Hackasaurus being completely awesome.

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 03:34:02 PM »
When I said that the Armour of Orgo has -35 to Fire Magic, I mean that literally. The in-game resistence information is often less than helpful because it labels a equip as resisting "Magic" when it resists any of the game's six lines of attack magic, regardless of whether it resists only Crack-element like the Shield of Valora or the three Fire magic lines like the Armour of Orgo or everything except Zap like the Princess Robe. I need to edit a more comprehensive explanation of this along with the elements stuff later on, but I still have a few loose ends to chase down first.

Is there any sort of consensus on whether to factor in stat modifiers from non-unique classes/mediums/etc. in games where only part of the cast get DL claims to them? I can easily go back in and edit in non-modified stats for Terry and Lizzie, but I'm reluctant to multiply the quantity of averages further based on conditional interps. Having 6+ damage average numbers would just look silly. Now, if most people ignore those stat modifiers in the DL, I can just shift the averages over to the base stats version and keep things looking clean-ish.

I'm reluctant to penalize Knuckle Sandwich in the DL (or ignore it from the averages) based on enemy resists when we don't that as a rule for pretty much any other damage-dealing attack, and having the hit rate reduced by enemy resists isn't very different from having the damage reduced in the big picture. The extra 50% Blizzard Blade damage is Crack-elemental and resisted just as badly or maybe even worse than Strike-elemental attacks like Knuckle Sandwich lategame, for instance. Should that be ignored for the damage averages as well?

Scorch and C-c-cold Breath feel like another variation on aftergame skills, ala Yamikei or Terra's Ultima. Most people allow those, so it didn't feel worth noting for me... unless people consider aftergame via class system different from aftergame via levelling? Lizzie also gets Scorch at L30 naturally, for what it's worth.

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 05:12:37 PM »
Itemcasts

I don't allow them in the DL personally, on the basis that anyone can use them and you don't need to equip a weapon to use it, which is why these aren't listed in the main topic. Still, some people do allow them, so here's a list of relevant and sorta relevant ones.

Sword of Ramias - Oomph
Shield of Valora - Bounce
Sunderbolt Blade (Terry's starting weapon) - Zap
Staff of Ghent (Nevan's starting weapon) - Midheal

There are a couple of low level fire spells available from itemcast, but they're too weak to do anything but exploit Persona 3 weaknesses and everyone who can equip those weapons already gets a stronger fire attack from somewhere else. At least the Sunderbolt Blade's Zap would provide a new element for Terry.