Register

Author Topic: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!  (Read 129243 times)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!
« Reply #700 on: October 05, 2011, 03:50:45 PM »
Finisher can yield far more dramatic results than Dance, and good equips...yep.

I'm trying to figure this comment out. Dance can do 9999x2, Finisher can not (at least, I don't remember it working with Dual-wield, and a quick search seems to support this. Provided you're in Freelancer, Dance's damage output is clearly higher, both peak and on average. Unless by "dramatic" you meant "flashier animation" in which case yeah sure.

(If I'm wrong and Finisher can do 9999x2, then I underrated the ability and it is indeed better than Dance against Enuo.)

Actually in general all this Gladiator hype feels wrong to me. Hyping Gladiator's good equips feels off when, this late, you're pretty much competing directly with Mime and Freelancer. Hyping their str... Monk's is just as high, and both take the same AP to master. At least Oracle genuinely offers +3 mag over Summoner... and it literally takes less AP to master Oracle than it does to gain just the one last job level of Summoner (y'know, the otherwise useless one). Sure Gladiator's better to be in (than both Oracle and Monk, although the latter you've had all game to build AP in, and it was better for quite a while...), but it's still not great to be in and both frankly represent investments of "be less awesome now to be more awesome later".

I guess I'm objecting to:
-Gladiator > Dancer
-Gladiator = Monk
-Gladiator >>> Oracle (I can see it being better, just not by that much)
-Oracle = Necromancer (c'mon dude, Necromancer is just totally useless, while magic mastery has a clear use)

This may convince me to give scores to Necromancer, Oracle, and Gladiator though. (No idea how I feel about Cannoneer, feels like I'd need to refamiliarise myself with aftergame randoms.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 05, 2011, 04:42:24 PM »
Gladiator's Finisher also has Critical which can do a lot of damage as well (albeit it not as much as Sword Dance), though thing is, Sword Dance kind of requires building around it.  Finisher can be given to any job and doing big damage.  True, Chicken Knife exists, but that can only go to one PC.

Finisher at its best is 25% chance of Critical, 50% chance of Elemental Attack (which basically OHKOs most randoms, so 9999x2 only really matters vs. Bosses), and 25% failure.  Dance is 50% of Mystery Waltz (who cares?) and Jitterbug Duet (this late, its really not worth it IIRC) 50% chance of Sword Dance.    They feel comparable, but Dance requires specific equips, Finisher does not.  That's why I respect it more.

Worth noting that Sword Dance Up comes from Lamia's Tiara only as far as Non-Dancer Specifics go (doesn't matter in the case of Freelancer who would just use Rainbow suit anyway), and fighters can't use that (closest is Blue Mage and Red Mage), so physical jobs are stuck with 25% chance Sword Dance.  Finisher at level 2 (when you learn it from Gladiator) is roughly 33% for each results (with Critical being slightly higher), so ts just that much more reliable on fighters.  Granted, Rapid Fire could be argued as making both obsolete, but Finisher requires much less AP to gain (only 100.)

The equip thing is mostly there for when you're using Gladiator, illustrating its not painful.  Having a job with High Strength who can use, say, Yoichi Bow with 0 Penalties is not a bad thing for example.  Plus mastering Gladiator gives you Ninja speed and game best strength.  Blade Blitz exists too, though its not really that good (75% MT Physical damage; basically FF7 Slash All.  I'd respect it more if it worked with Blood Sword!)

Gladiator also gives Long Reach though unsure if that transfers directly to Mime/Freelancer or not like Dual Wield does.  My respect for that hinges 100% on that really.

There's actual reasons to invest in AP beyond Finisher for Gladiator.  Dancer...only if you really want Equip Ribbon.

I suppose I should give Oracle a higher rating than Necromancer thinking about it granted.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:50:52 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 06, 2011, 01:08:49 AM »
The thing is, this is the FF5 aftergame (or at least very late maingame). "Building around" Dancer isn't exactly much effort, seeing as the Rainbow Dress is one of the game's best armours anyway. True, Mimes can't use it, but they can't use Ribbons either so the Lamia's Tiara is actually one of their best headgears. This really isn't much of a building effort at all. By the time you have the final jobs, we don't care about non-Freelancer/Mime jobs as carriers, so the fact that e.g. Knight can't use Dance that well is irrelevant (and I don't understand why you bring it up... what setup are you thinking of that would realistically go Gladiator -> Knight/etc. in the aftergame?). The building that Finisher takes to reach the numbers you cite (requires a mastered Gladiator, though it's admittedly not -that- much worse at lower levels) is substantially more of an issue if anything. The only reason to use Finisher over Dance is because you're spending time in Gladiator -anyway-.

On the 2x9999 point... There are certainly monsters with more than 9999 HP (Iron Giants, King Behemoths, Great Dragons, Crystal Dragons... I don't have aftergame specifics in front of me but I'm sure there's more!) And against anything with notably less, we're just going to gun them down with MT anyway. Actually chances are we're gunning just about everything down with MT (Odin makes short work of even the aforementioned tanky enemies, after all). As such, neither Dance or Finisher is something I'd hype much for randoms, but Dance deserves substantial hype for Enuo, which alone eclipses everything Gladiator does in my eyes.

Long Reach is not innate, for the record. As such I see very, very little worth mastering Gladiator for. Basically it has stats... kinda. Assuming you care about your physicals, you're much better off mastering Ninja for speed (since it grants Dual-Wield, which most physical setups will want) and something else for strength (since you'd get vit at the same time, something Gladiator notably lacks). If you don't care about physicals, then there are many cheaper options for speed: Thief, for instance, which has the side benefit of back attack immunity. Or Mystic Knight, which has the same speed for the same AP, but -also- comes with decent vit, which could be helpful if you can't be bothered to have your mage spend time in more than one non-mage job.

I mean, let's compare Gladiator vs. Monk, to beat in what a difference there is. Yeah, both lead to game-best strength at the cost of 700 AP, but Monk's comes with game-best vit while Gladiator is merely one of ~5 options which provide high speed. And you can get started on Monk way earlier. And Monk is a really good class to actually be in for most of world 1 (but especially pre-Karnak) due to great HP, amazing physical damage, and innate counter. Gladiator is merely a tolerable class to be in lategame (but really, way behind Freelancer/Mime so it's hardly worth caring about except maybe in a head-to-head comparison with Oracle or something. Monk provides plenty of useful abilities for other classes to set: Counter is nice on knights with cover, Barehanded instantly gives everything high physical damage for world 1, Buildup has uses as a damage booster; Gladiator's abilities are all highly questionable due to the point of the game you get them.

Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 10, 2011, 12:05:29 AM »
Freelancer: N/A
Black Mage: 6.05
Blue Mage: 6.60
Knight: 6.03
Monk: 4.04
Thief: 4.11
White Mage: 7.13
Berserker: 1.44
Mystic Knight: 5.26
Red Mage: 4.50
Summoner: 8.96
Time Mage: 7.91
Beastmaster: 5.49
Geomancer: 3.48
Ninja: 7.29
Bard: 5.29
Ranger: 5.25
Chemist: 6.29
Dancer: 3.53
Dragoon: 2.29
Samurai: 5.26
Mime: N/A
Cannoneer: N/A
Gladiator: N/A
Oracle: N/A
Necromancer: N/A

Best rating of session: Summoner w/ 8.96
Worst rating of session: Berserker w/ 1.44 for FF5o
Freelancer and Mime were not ranked due to DNRs.  The Advance Only classes all did not get rated due to lack of substantial votes.

Top 20 Ratings:
1t. Ryu (BoF3) 9.80
1t. Yuna (FFX) 9.80
3. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SH1) 9.53
4. Hyuga "Citan Uzuki" Ricdeau (XG) 9.46
5. Souji Seta (P4) 9.44
6. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SHC) 9.25
7. Blue (SaGa) 9.28
8. Cecilia Lynn Adlehyde (WA1) 9.20
9. Haar (FE10) 9.17
10t. Deis (BoF2) 9.11
10t. Reyson (FE10) 9.11
12. Lenneth Valkyrie (VP(:L)) 9.02
13. Ephraim (FE8) 9.01
14. Summoner (FF5) 8.96
15. Elincia (FE10) 8.85
16. Tibarn (FE10) 8.83
17. Rena Lanford (SO2) 8.75
18. Tana (FE8) 8.73
19. Purim (SoM) 8.70
20. Maria Traydor (SO3) 8.68

Top 20 Failures:
1. Tree (FFT) 0.50
2. Rei (SaGa) 0.67
3. Karla (FE7) 0.77
4t. Red Turnip (SaGa) 0.8
4t. Slime (SaGa) 0.8
6. Chu-chu (XG) 0.85
7. Silence (SaGa) 0.92
8. Marlboro (FFT) 0.93
9. Uribo (FFT) 0.94
10. Maria Balthasar (XG) 1.00
11. Malak Golthana (FFT) 1.03
12. Byblos (FFT) 1.06
13. Douglas (FE6) 1.10
14. Skeleton (FFT) 1.13
15. Goblin (FFT) 1.20
16. Astrid (FE10) 1.20
17. Squid (FFT) 1.25
18t. Mime (FFT) 1.28
18t. Lyre (FE10) 1.28
20. Yunno (FE6) 1.35

For those wondering, Substantial Votes = 5 or more ratings that are something not DNR or Abstains.  I have a limit of 5 minimum for this just cause I said so.

That said, MOVING ONTO SOMETHING I WILL HATE MYSELF FOR...and one standard game...

Grandia 2:
Ryudo:
Elena:
Millenia:
Roan:
Mareg:
Tio:

Suikoden True Runes and Ilk Characters:
Tir McDohl-1:
Ted-1:
Luc-1:

Riou:
Jowy Atreides:
Luc-2:
Tir McDohl-2:

Hugo:
Chris:
Geddoe:
Sasarai:
Luc-3:
Yuber:

Lazlo:
Ted-4:

Freyjadour:
Lyon:
Zerase:

Like in Fire Emblem, characters have numbers by their names to help distinguish what game they're from.  And no, I don't care if you agree with how I split characters up, I am NOT taking a character off now and putting them later just cause you think its unfair where they got put.  When we rate them shouldn't change how you rate them, and we are rating them eventually anyway and I am NOT doing it later.  Also, don't think you're being cute with this stuff either.  Its when I list the characters or not at all.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:18:36 AM by Meeplelard »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 10, 2011, 12:46:41 AM »
Grandia 2:
Ryudo: 4.5/10. Gut says his stat distribution is a bit worse than Roan's, and I don't think SDS quite makes up for this.
Elena: 6/10. Stats are all a bit shaky (outside MP I think?) but Nightmare Ball is amazing.
Millenia: 8.5/10. Speed can be worked with, durability doesn't matter too much in Grandia 2. Game-best magic is great, skillset is just broken.
Roan: 5/10. Pretty much average.
Mareg: 2.5/10. Kinda suffers in the way the archetype so often does.
Tio: 7.5/10. Fast and usually has the highest magic, plus MT cancel. Not much to be unimpressed by here (well, raw physical damage is on the low end), but she doesn't feel worth a higher score to me. EDIT: Apparently does not have the highest magic, so lowered half a point.

Tir McDohl-1: 8.5/10. Only flaw is that he can't equip other runes to have e.g. damage pre-Black Shadow, or healing. Great stats, great true rune (instant death spells are great), halves all elements, etc.
Ted-1: DNR
Luc-1: 6/10. S1 has so many scrubs that even someone like Luc, who has pdur of paper that has been soaking in water for two days, is a worthy choice. Magic is the god stat and he's decently speedy, and can equip any rune you want.

Riou: 7.5/10. Good overall stats, and Bright Shield is certainly solid, although not quite as potent as the Soul Eater.
Jowy Atreides: Not sure if this is DNR or not. May decide later. He's actually around enough to potentially matter, and has good stats, a good unite with Riou, and one shot of awesome damage against Double Head at least. 7/10 is my kneejerk for his score.
Luc-2: 6.5/10. Durability is a bit better than S1, and rune affinities make him relatively better at magical mayhem... but magical mayhem is less dominant than last time out.
Tir McDohl-2: 8.5/10? Y'know what? Same score as S1 works. In some ways he's even better (wtf S2 Black Shadow, can equip other runes), in other ways he's worse (speed, annoyance of getting him).

Hugo: 7.5/10. Gets plenty of swings at a high critical hit rate, can use a true rune. Probably the weakest of the S3 mains but still good.
Chris: 8/10. S3 defence is awesome, and she has the highest offence of any heavy armour type save Borus, and high MDef to go with it. TWR is great during the brief window exists.
Geddoe: 8/10. The weakest of the mains when true runes aren't available, the best when they are. Although has to watch out for lightning spoiling of course. Just all-around solid.
Sasarai: 5/10. True Earth's attack spells lack any real use, but lots of shots of Canopy Defence help out in the final battle even though his durability does him no favours.
Luc-3: DNR. Luc chapters feature a lack of real fights generally.
Yuber: DNR.

Lazlo: 6.5/10. I dunno. His overall stats are decent but less good than most of his type (HP's the only standout), his unique rune is pretty trashy. Eternal Ordeal's domination of a stretch of the earlygame is the main reason he's this high.
Ted-4: 8/10. That damage is just insane on the S2 damage scale. A bit limited, though, and he lacks the instant death.

Freyjadour: 7/10. Reminds me of Riou a bit, but he's slightly worse: no RH rune slot hurts in a few places (such as locking out Magic Absorb), and his speed could be a bit better.
Lyon: 7.5/10. Lyon kinda lacks the two main problems Freyjadour has. The speed/power make her good for a while early, then she starts to fall off... then leaves. Then is pretty much uber in most ways endgame.
Zerase: 9/10. Y'know what? Yeah, I think she does break the game more than any of the other true rune users. Horrific GT/MT death off great speed and crazy numbers of spell charges. Probably one of the two best PCs in the game if you don't twink at all remains one of the best if you twink like crazy due to eternally powering her fast magical doom with Magic Absorb.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 06:06:51 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: October 10, 2011, 05:06:49 AM »
Grandia 2:
Ryudo: The game's whatever boy.  4/10
Elena: Nightmare Ball's enough for a 6/10, sure.
Millenia: Overall pretty great.  8/10
Roan: He's alright enough when he's around.  5/10
Mareg: Not very good.  2/10
Tio: Good but didn't really feel like an 8.  7/10

Tir McDohl-1: Well having his rune slot occupied hurts him about as much as someone with good stats can be hurt by forced Soul Eater.  Which is to say not much.  8.5/10
Ted-1: boo temp that sticks around for like zero time. DNR
Luc-1: Well he's a douchebag but he's still an alright PC.  6/10

Riou: Pretty versatile, Bright Shield's not too bad to have forced, really.  7.5/10
Jowy Atreides: Abstain
Luc-2: Still a douchebag, still an alright PC.  6/10
Tir McDohl-2: Abstain

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #706 on: October 11, 2011, 04:49:54 PM »
Grandia 2:
Ryudo: 5/10 - Feels like a textbook average main to me.
Elena: 6.5/10 - Being a good mage/healer/Nightmare ball feels like a 6.5 here.
Millenia: 8.5/10 - Awesome, availability hurts a bit, though she's around for bosses and is a pretty awesome boss-fighter.
Roan: 5/10 - Slightly better than Ryudo, but less availability, evens out here.
Mareg: 2/10 - Meh tank.
Tio: 8/10 - Speed Speed Speed breaks G2 harder than it already breaks itself.

Suikoden True Runes and Ilk Characters: Best ranking present ever~
Tir McDohl-1: 9/10 - Breakin' the game~
Ted-1: 4/10 - lots of good going for him while he's around, but...
Luc-1: 6/10 - Compared to the rest of the scrubs, he's got good availability and Magic. Also awesome in war battles.

Riou: 7.5/10 - Hey look, a good main, but actually kinda balanced b/c S2 tried to do that.
Jowy Atreides: 6/10 I guess
Luc-2: 6.5/10
Tir McDohl-2: 8.5/10 - Break the game, but lots of hassle to get him.

Hugo: 7.5/10 - Availability, Magic stat, starts with good runes, Speed! All the things a solid Suikomain needs! Option of all three True runes!
Chris: 8/10 - Not a standard Suikomain, but one of the best tanks. Phoenix Rune is a good finisher, especially early on when options are low.
Geddoe: 8.5/10 - Magic Smash, decent Physical Smash/Durability. Probably the best combination of the main 3?
Sasarai: 7/10 - Best Mage in the main game, but such a late joiner, it hardly matters...
Luc-3: 5.5/10 - Sure he's awesome, but during his section of the game, he's just average due to being with Sarah and
Yuber: 5/10 - Just average in their section. Too bad that they couldn't be used main game.

Lazlo: 7/10 - Lots of meh characters in S4, and Lazlo is the only one who can use the team Rush ability.
Ted-4: 8.5/10 - Break break break~

Freyjadour: 7/10 - Average for a Suikomain.
Lyon: 8/10 - So many ways to break S5, but Lyon's a good one. Too bad about that stretch of availability where she's recovering in a bed.
Zerase: 9/10 - Break break break!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: October 13, 2011, 05:04:02 AM »
Grandia 2:
Ryudo: 5/10.  Ryudo's fine.
Elena: 5/10.  Good specials, bad stats.  (Seriously, compare endgame Elena to Roan.  He has better stats *everywhere*, including Magic.)
Millenia: 8/10.  Broken abilities, mildly suspect durability doesn't matter in G2.  Gains minor points for the fact that your average "challenge" runthrough makes Millenia even better, since she has no choice but to gain said broken abilities.
Roan: 5/10.  Roan1 is a 4/10, Roan2 is a 6/10.
Mareg: 3/10.  Warm body in a game where you don't have party choice, and it's not like he's terrible, just the Grandia system rewards speed.
Tio: 8/10.  Instant Line Cancel off good speed?  What.  Is fine outside of that too.

Hugo: 7/10.  Relying on dodge means there's more room for things to go horribly wrong, but still pretty good.
Chris: 8/10.  Tanks like a champ.  Totally defeated the Water Rincar with Chris / Nash solo once IIRC.
Geddoe: 7/10.  Good mage.
Sasarai: 7/10?  Strong but you have him for the final battle and that's almost it.
Luc-3: DNR.

Freyjadour: 7/10.
Lyon: 7/10.
Zerase: 8/10.
I think we bothered doing a full ranking of Suiko V in-game in the last topic, and from hype I apparently didn't uber my team very well, and it didn't matter at all as Suiko V makes you feel like you've ubered your team no matter what.  Pick whatever selection of characters you want and watch things explode.  As such, apathy.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: October 13, 2011, 05:46:38 AM »
Hm, are Roan2's stats that much better relatively than Roan1's? The main thing I remember is that Roan2 loses Snowball Fight, which was probably his best SP move, in favour of some useless singletarget tech (Ice Prison?).

Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: October 13, 2011, 08:21:04 AM »
I doubt there's any statisical difference, but he does have King's Pride, which is more effective than the storebought booster at increasing tech damage. Not sure that's worth 2.
...into the nightfall.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: October 14, 2011, 05:42:36 AM »
I've forgotten the details.  It's mostly that I recall Roan1 being okay but worse than Ryudo, while Roan2 had weirdly good stats at everything and was the best mage (at least when Elena was in the party not Millenia).  If I felt vaguely threatened by endgame randoms he could blow them up with magic, pretty much, and True Dragon Rise / more magic was fine for bosses.  So steady offense of all types compromised slightly by suspect durability but who cares this is Grandia II.

...which reminds me, I should totally do a challenge replay of G2, if I can find my copy of the PC version that I won for free.  G2's difficulty curve is such that I think an initial equipment / refuse to spend skill / magic coins playthrough might well be viable, if requiring a wee bit of leveling toward the end.  I know that you can at least deal with the first third of the game as such.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: October 14, 2011, 05:56:35 AM »
I remember Roan having the best magic outside Millenia earlygame too. Honestly, I remember having a higher opinion of Roan1 because he doesn't compete with Tio, who has almost as high magic and considerably better speed.

Although Roan1 is kinda crappy when he first joins IIRC, but by the time he left I don't seem to recall having any doubt that he was better than Ryudo. He has less physical damage but better magical damage, and the latter is worth more.

I know that you can at least deal with the first third of the game as such.

Well it's not like any of Grandia 2 past the first third is actually worth playing anyway. </rimshot>

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #712 on: October 14, 2011, 07:37:03 AM »
Hey, Millenia keeps showing up until at least the halfway mark!

Grandia 2:
Ryudo: 5/10.  I admit, I want to give him higher, but because I never use Impact Bomb so Tenseiken Slash is rather inflated in a typical playthrough >.>
Elena: 5/10.  Elena's magic score actually sucks!  Anyway, she can rush to an MT move quick-like if you want, otherwise not really different from Ryudo.
Millenia: 7/10.  Hello best move set.  Goodbye best move set.
Roan: 6/10.
Mareg: 4/10
Tio: 7/10.  Lotus Blossom being her only worthwhile move is a pity, but hey stats.

Tir McDohl-1: 8/10.  There's some definite lag in the Soul Eater.  Deadly Fingertips is your only move for a long time, and you get Black Shadow slightly after it's good damage.  Tir'd be much better in a suikoden where he could equip a backup rune for bosses.
Luc-1: 6/10.

Riou: 7/10.  Well balanced, but there's definitely better characters in the game.
Jowy Atreides: 6/10.  I think he'd be the best character in the game if you kept him, naturally.
Luc-2: 7/10.  Thanks to affinities, Luc's damage is actually better than fighter-mages rather than just having a couple gratuitous MP.  Still, there's some competition for his position.
Tir McDohl-2: 8/10.  The point he won for starting with all hsi spells and being able to equip another rune is lost due to the stupid recruitment scenario.

Hugo: 7/10.  I guess Hugo never really gets a chance to shine.  He takes a while to get his skills rolling, the endgame likes to punish dodge-whores, and he's always going to be stuck with a rune he's not very good with.
Chris: 8/10.  Tanky healers are always good meanwhile.
Geddoe: 8/10.  Electric death mage.  If you could ever USE him with the TLR I'd consider bumping him a point, or if making him the FC didn't make the TLR useless, but so goes.
Sasarai: 5/10.  He's alright.
Luc-3: DNR
Yuber: DNR

Lazlo: 6/10.  There's definitely points Punishment is good, and the stats aren't bad, just... anyway.
Ted-4: 8/10.  I'll never understand why they turned the ID spells into pansy ass parasitic healing.  Hades is like the worst True Rune spell in the series.

Freyjadour: 6/10.  There's definitely points Punishment Dawn is good, and the stats aren't bad, just... anyway.
Lyon: 7/10.  Reminiscent of Riou in overall build.  can float a physical or magical build and the other stats are quite solid.
Zerase: 8/10.  Hmm.  even among the ready-built characters Zerase has a little too much competition to rate a 9 I think.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: October 21, 2011, 02:19:32 AM »
Grandia 2:
Ryudo: 6/10.  Yeah, he's not BAD or anything, but he lacks anything that really makes him stand out. 
Elena: 6.5/10.  Similar to Ryudo, though I guess more MP for magic is a plus, even with game worst Int.
Millenia: 8/10.  Good early game, amazing after that...except that she's often not around to the point where I can only give her so much.
Roan: 5/10.  Remember him just being a worse Ryudo overall, and is not around much.
Mareg: 4/10.  Yeah, sort of just a warm body when he's around.  His turns aren't a total waste or anything, but man does he lack anything careworthy in terms of decency.
Tio: 8/10.  Lotus Flower is just that damned good.

Tir McDohl-1: 9/10.  I win Rune.  Yeah, ok, so he lacks damage with it pre-Black Shadow, but during that stretch your MP is so low that you're doing a lot of damage via physicals anyway, and he's still a hell of a magic tank with decent physical durability.
Ted-1: DNR.  Exists just for some early game shenanigans that are too easy to care.
Luc-1: 6/10.  Good mage but even he can run out of resources and he's completely useless in randoms once he does.

Riou: 7.5/10.  Healing, Buddy ATtack for early game stuff, good stats overall, in a game where rune slots can help cover his flaws...yet he still never felt quite Tir's level.
Jowy Atreides: 6/10.  Buddy Attack for when he's around, rune is decent but outside of Piercing One it feels replaceable early on, and he's not around later to make you care about Hungry Friend.  Availability means this is the best he'll get.
Luc-2: 7/10.  Luc 1, except in a game where the damage advantage is more notable due to Rune affinities, but physicals aren't a total loss.
Tir McDohl-2: 7/10.  He's...arguably better than he was in Suikoden 1...just doesn't exist for half the game, and is a pain in the ass to recruit every time your party disbands, so yeah. this is the best he'll get.

Hugo: 7/10.  Solid overall.
Chris: 7.5/10.  Tank w/ good damage.  I'd hype the healing more if, you know, she actually got to use the True Water Rune for a notable stretch of the game, and she's awful wtih the True Fire Rune.
Geddoe: 8/10.  Worst Main pre-True Runes, best post?  Yeah, I'll buy that, he also gets his True Rune notably before the other two regardless of path, and dear god is True Lightning wrong.
Sasarai: 5/10.  You know, on paper, he should be a good solid mage...especially with True Earth...oh wait, he joins AT THE VERY END OF THE GAME and the only opponent left flies.  He still makes a good user of Flowing Rune and Canopy Defense isn't bad, I guess.
Luc-3: DNR.  Luc's quest really doesn't count.
Yuber: DNR.  See Luc.

Lazlo: 6.5/10.  Eternal Ordeal is good, Double Sword Attack is nice with Kika, and the whole "only character who can use the big awesome limit unite move" thing is nice.  Yeah, really wishes there was more to say about his True Rune other than "Decent Level 1".  Everlasting Mercy is good I guess if worse than Shining Wind in every-way that matters.
Ted-4: 8/10.  So...you know Suiko 2 Luc?  Take him, give him more HP, physical that isn't complete garbage, and a "WHAT THE FUCK?" Rune, and you have Ted.  If he joined earlier, I'd be giving him higher.

Freyjadour: 6.5/10.  Rune has issues early on, but he has physical twinking to make up for it at least.  Yeah, feels similar to Lazlo so same score.
Lyon: 7/10.  Good early, slowly gets worse to the point of being kind of unimpressive, disappears, rejoins, and is completely awesome when she does...yeah, 7/10 works.
Zerase: 9/10.  Fast, nukes things, is in a game that lets her recharge her magic points easily?  Yeah...

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: October 31, 2011, 12:40:21 AM »
Hey, Millenia keeps showing up until at least the halfway mark!

Grandia 2:
Ryudo: 5/10.  I admit, I want to give him higher, but because I never use Impact Bomb so Tenseiken Slash is rather inflated in a typical playthrough >.>
Elena: 5/10.  Elena's magic score actually sucks!  Anyway, she can rush to an MT move quick-like if you want, otherwise not really different from Ryudo.
Millenia: 7/10.  Hello best move set.  Goodbye best move set.
Roan: 6/10.
Tio: 7/10.  Lotus Blossom being her only worthwhile move is a pity, but hey stats.

Tir McDohl-1: 8.5/10. 
Luc-1: 5/10.

Riou: 7/10.
Jowy Atreides: 6/10. 
Luc-2: 5/10. 
Tir McDohl-2: DNR

Hugo: 7/10.
Chris: 8/10. 
Geddoe: 8.5/10.
Sasarai: 3/10.

Lazlo: 5/10.
Ted-4: 8/10.

Freyjadour: 6.5/10.
Lyon: 7/10. 
Zerase: 9/10.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: October 31, 2011, 12:47:19 AM »
Grandia 2:

Ryudo: 5/10
Elena: 6/10
Millenia: 8/10
Roan: 5.5/10
Tio: 8/10

Lazlo: 7/10
Ted-4: 8.5/10

Freyjadour: 7.5/10
Lyon: 8/10
Zerase: 8.5/10

"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: October 31, 2011, 12:56:49 AM »
Grandia 2

Ryudo: 4/10. Whatever boy - sub-Elena at magic, and that's not a good thing. His skills are otherwise unimpressive as well.
Elena: 6/10. Below average magic! But goddamn Nightmare Ball rules.
Millenia: 8/10. Availability costs her half a point, but otherwise golden. Game-best magic and cool skills too.
Roan: 5/10. He's the best non-Millenia mage, but his skills otherwise kinda suck, especially late. Average works, I guess.
Mareg: 3/10. Emphasizing physicals and durability in Grandia 2, great idea.
Tio: 8/10. Best mage for most of the game, best speed and MT cancelling. This is how you rule the game.

Suikoden True Runes and Ilk Characters

Tir McDohl-1: 8.5/10. The score works, sure. The lag period is pretty noticeable, but he's otherwise amazing.
Ted-1: DNR.
Luc-1: 6/10. Magic being the god stat just makes Luc so much more viable, especially considering the sheer level of scrubbiness floating around S1.

Riou: 8/10. No single poor stat, has twinkability on both physical and magical ends at a reasonable time and has a very solid unique Rune? Just covers all bases.
Jowy Atreides: 7/10. He leaves before he starts getting -notably- good, but he's always very solid when he's around. Were he available for the whole game, he'd probably be among the top five PCs.
Luc-2: 7/10. While magic isn't as dominating in S2, it's still likely the most efficient way to go in S2, and Luc's affinities are so good that he'll always have something solid for both crowd control and bosses for the whole game. Durability is problematic, but he's fine.
Tir McDohl-2: 8/10. Availability and stupid regarding having to get him back dock half a point there.

Hugo: 7.5/10. The worst main, needing some time to come into his own, and always being stuck with a Rune that doesn't suit him very well. However, he has a great mix of stats and skills and he's still finely twinkable.
Chris: 8/10. Low twinkability, but the durability is amazing and she has very solid offense for most of the game. The ten seconds you get TWR are also fun stuff.
Geddoe: 8.5/10. Honestly feel Geddoe and Chris are roughly in the same ballpark in theory, but I gave that extra half-point to Geddoe due to him also making the strongest Flame Champion. TLR is the TR you get to use the most, too. Less impressive at base than Chris, though.
Sasarai: 6/10. Great, great mage, but you get his True Rune for like one fight and S3 mages need a bit of work anyway.
Luc-3: DNR.

Lazlo: 6.5/10. He's okay, but really doesn't really impress. A few unique tricks, a solid unite and uh a solid L1 on the True Rune. But eeeeeeeeh.
Ted-4: 8.5/10. Ridiculous damage with Judgment and Black Shadow >>>>>>>>>>>> randoms in S4 like little else (that 400 damage figure, which is even below the DL average, doesn't really note how frail S4 randoms are, does it?). The parasitic healing replacing the ID could be a point against, but it's honestly so -academic-, and the L3 also functions as crowd control. And Ted's even fast, which pretty much closes the deal.

Freyjadour: 7/10. Honestly feels better than Lazlo, mainly because it feels like, even though his Rune has -issues-, his bases for twinking are notably superior. And, like Riou, he does well both as a physicaller and a mage in a game where both are viable. Could be faster, but oh well.
Lyon: 7/10. She starts great and steadily decreases... until she gets taken away for a long time. Then, when she returns, she's uber. 7/10 works for me.
Zerase: 9/10. Mauls things for the whole game and has infinite resources with startling ease. Zerase is likely one of the PCs who mauls the game the most with the least effort. Even Miakis needs more work (though she mangles the game a bit more). Yeah, works out.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: October 31, 2011, 03:50:31 AM »

Grandia 2:
Ryudo: 6/10
Elena: 6/10
Millenia: 7/10
Roan: 4/10
Mareg: 3/10
Tio: 6.5/10

Tir McDohl-1: 8/10
Luc-1: 4/10.

Riou: 7.5/10
Jowy Atreides: DNR
Luc-2: 8/10
Tir McDohl-2: 8.5

Hugo: 7.5/10
Chris: 8/10
Geddoe: 9/10
Sasarai: 4/10

Lazlo: 5/10
Ted-4:  8.5/10

Freyjadour: 7/10
Lyon: 5/10
Zerase: 8.5
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: October 31, 2011, 11:07:22 PM »
Grandia 2:
Ryudo: 4.95
Elena: 5.80
Millenia: 7.80
Roan: 5.15
Mareg: 3.15
Tio: 7.50

Tir McDohl-1: 8.50
Ted-1: N/A
Luc-1: 5.63

Riou: 7.44
Jowy Atreides: 6.33
Luc-2: 6.63
Tir McDohl-2: 8.08

Hugo: 7.24
Chris Lightfellow: 7.94
Geddoe: 8.19
Sasarai: 5.25
Luc-3: N/A
Yuber: N/A

Lazlo: 6.19
Ted-4: 8.25

Freyjadour: 6.83
Lyon: 7.06
Zerase: 8.67

Best Rating of this session: Zerase w/ 8.67
Worst Rating of this session: Mareg w/ 3.15
Ted-1, Luc-3 and Yuber are all BOOTED due to DNRs and all that.

Top 20 Ratings:
1t. Ryu (BoF3) 9.80
1t. Yuna (FFX) 9.80
3. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SH1) 9.53
4. Hyuga "Citan Uzuki" Ricdeau (XG) 9.46
5. Souji Seta (P4) 9.44
6. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SHC) 9.25
7. Blue (SaGa) 9.28
8. Cecilia Lynn Adlehyde (WA1) 9.20
9. Haar (FE10) 9.17
10t. Deis (BoF2) 9.11
10t. Reyson (FE10) 9.11
12. Lenneth Valkyrie (VP(:L)) 9.02
13. Ephraim (FE8) 9.01
14. Summoner (FF5) 8.96
15. Elincia (FE10) 8.85
16. Tibarn (FE10) 8.83
17. Rena Lanford (SO2) 8.75
18. Tana (FE8) 8.73
19. Purim (SoM) 8.70
20. Maria Traydor (SO3) 8.68

Top 20 Failures:
1. Tree (FFT) 0.50
2. Rei (SaGa) 0.67
3. Karla (FE7) 0.77
4t. Red Turnip (SaGa) 0.8
4t. Slime (SaGa) 0.8
6. Chu-chu (XG) 0.85
7. Silence (SaGa) 0.92
8. Marlboro (FFT) 0.93
9. Uribo (FFT) 0.94
10. Maria Balthasar (XG) 1.00
11. Malak Golthana (FFT) 1.03
12. Byblos (FFT) 1.06
13. Douglas (FE6) 1.10
14. Skeleton (FFT) 1.13
15. Goblin (FFT) 1.20
16. Astrid (FE10) 1.20
17. Squid (FFT) 1.25
18t. Mime (FFT) 1.28
18t. Lyre (FE10) 1.28
20. Yunno (FE6) 1.35

MOVING ON!

Xenosaga 2: Jenseits von Gut und Bose:
chaos:
Jin Uzuki:
Gaignum Kukai "Rubedo" Jr.:
Ziggurat "Ziggy" 8:
MOMO:
Shion Uzuki:
KOS MOS:

Suikoden Buddies, Friends, Etc.:
Cleo:
Gremio:
Pahn:
Viktor-1:
Odessa:
Flik-1:

Nanami:
Bolgan:
Eilie:
Rina:
Flik-2:
Viktor-2:

Thomas:
Cecille:
Juan:
Piccolo:

Snowe:
Keneth:
Tal:
Jewel:
Paula:

Georg:
Sialeeds:
Miakis:
Galleon:
Kyle:

...yeah, for Suiko 3, just to make this rating not BIG AS HELL, I relegated it purely to Thomas and Co.  And yes, some of these character choices are arbitrary but shut up you smell!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:55:39 PM by Meeplelard »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #719 on: November 01, 2011, 01:28:53 AM »

Like hell I remember the individual characters in this game.

Cleo: 6/10.  Generically solid.
Gremio: 3/10.
Pahn: 3/10.
Viktor-1: 2/10.  Urghle.
Odessa: DNR.
Flik-1: 7/10.  Feels a cut above the other fighter mages (shield, mostly), which is good since you have to use him.

Nanami: 4/10.  Pure physical doesn't work well with girls, buuut she's a great Spark Rune carrier at least.
Bolgan: 3/10.  Gets the job done when you have to use him, I guess.
Eilie: 4/10.  She has set ups just not... good ones.
Rina: 4/10.  Anyways.
Flik-2: 6/10.
Viktor-2: 4/10.  He hits stuff, Fire Emblems keep him up to par when you gotta use him.

Thomas:  3/10.  His Unite with Cecille keeps them solid during his own chapters but there's just no reason to use him otherwise.
Cecille: 4/10.  Better tanks exist.
Juan: 7/10.  Risk/reward kinda character.  Highest damage potential, but working around the waking rune makes him sorta vulnerable.
Piccolo: 5/10.  The other high end mages are more flexible, but he's not bad.

Snowe: 3/10.  Suikoden IV skewed back to Suikoden 1 levels of magic favortism.
Keneth: 6/10. 
Tal: 3/10.
Jewel: 4/10.  Hey, there's something to be said for a free water rune in the very early going?
Paula: 5/10?  Yeah sure.

Georg: 6/10.  Loses a point for the horrific cockteasing.
Sialeeds: 4/10.
Miakis: 7/10.
Galleon: 3/10.
Kyle: 4/10.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: November 01, 2011, 02:11:34 AM »
Xenosaga 2: Jenseits von Gut und Bose

chaos: 3/10. It's useful to have an element consistently attached to your damage in XS2 (less setup time in general, lets you actually build element levels before you get sabers), but it's also a problem when the element's walled, since natural elements can't be overriden in XS2. To make matters worse, chaos' stat spread is just all wrong in practice, sporting unimpressive durability, offense and speed all around. His second-best Ether stat is completely wasted given his attacks run off his shoddy Attack and XS2 offensive magic utterly blows. Not being able to hit aired enemies ain't good news either. I guess he has the stats to make a solid support PC, but MOMO covers that niche better anyway while doing so much more.
Jin Uzuki: 4.5/10. Being able to air enemies is a nice niche (Airing >>>>>> downing enemies outside very specific fights due to disabling counter-boosting, for starters), but he's more or less restricted to Slash element and his Attack stat isn't so hot. Durability isn't bad, at least, and speed doesn't offend.
Gaignun Kukai "Rubedo" Jr.: 6.5/10. Ranged, piercing physicals and solid evade+offense stats = not bad at all. Not amazing, but it'd take like XS3 for Jr. to turn into a 7/10+ PC anyway. >_> Also, it's actually kind of a noticeable deal being the one ranged PC to be able to Break.
Ziggurat "Ziggy" 8: 4/10. Better than chaos due to the insane durability difference and noticeable offense superiority. However, speed is awful and being unable to hit aired enemies still is a big deal. And, of course, the double-edged sword that is having a magical element attached to your offense. More workable than chaos anyway due to having a better element and actual offense, though.
MOMO: 8/10. Only so high a character in XS2 can go, but MOMO is kinda nuts anyway. Ranged, piercing magical damage running off game-best speed and Ether? And game-best evade in a game where dodging is -always- a useful durability stat and eventually turns into the best defensive number? Yeah, just great stuff.
Shion Uzuki: 5.5/10. Gains an above average score for the utter mangling of the aftergame she does. Beforehand, stats are all over the place and her damage chain is -infuriating-, for all that it has its uses at the right times. Also a bit of credit for being your only other mage in practice (nkjltrnklhjfdlçkodf screw you chaos offense split).
KOS MOS: 6/10. Durable, has multiple physical elements and very solid offense. Airing enemies is also good stuff. The Ziggy-level speed does her no favors, though.

Cleo: 8/10. Just... does everything right. Fast mage with ranged physicals and non-fail durability is -the- way to go in Suikoden 1. Not amazing like Tir, but she does good with that Fire Rune Leknaat hands you and just improves.
Gremio: 3/10. Scrub. Really annoying to have forced. On the other hand, the physical -could- be worse and he's less of an embarrassment than Viktor is.
Pahn: 4/10. Physical fighters in S1 don't really work, but Pahn isn't -that- bad.
Viktor-1: 2/10. Fails. He's not great in the early game and just turns into a complete loser due to not getting any more relevant stats ever. And don't even let me get started on the egregious accuracy failures.
Odessa: DNR. She'd be a total 9/10 if she stayed the whole game, though. The stat spread is wtfffffffffffffffffffffff.
Flik-1: 7/10. Tanky mage! His availability is sketchy, though, and his magic isn't as high as I'd like. Still, good niche.

Nanami: 5/10. Spark Rune carrier and speed means her physical game isn't -too- lost. Two rune slots gained early and mid-range physical also go a bit of a way.
Bolgan: 3/10. Uh usable when you have to, I guess.
Eilie: 5/10. She's actually not bad. Ranged physicals and a B in Fire gets you places.
Rina: 6/10. Stats aren't amazing but she's a pretty viable twink PC on both ends, having veritable magic -and- a passable long-range physical. Early three rune slots help there.
Flik-2: 6/10. Not as tanky and not as good a mage. Solid anyway.
Viktor-2: 4/10. Actually workable! Still nothing amazing.

Thomas: 3/10. I kinda agree with CK. To make matters worse, Thomas is a ridiculously investment-heavy PC with an inordinate amount of A+ skills. That's just too much work for someone that offensively inept.
Cecille: 5/10. Fairly useful when you need her. There are better tanks, but I feel you need Cecile the most out of those forced tanks during the earlier chapters.
Juan: 7.5/10. I'd dock him half a point due to having to circumvent the Waking Rune issue, but it's so academic if you have a bit of knowledge on the game. Mel's Turtle Tunic early solves that problem and Watari's Yellow Scarf when you leave Thomas storyline fixes the issue for the rest of the game. -That said-, Juan still needs a bit of work to get going, so he doesn't get an 8. Still, nice smashing of shit.
Piccolo: 3/10. S3 mages need work and Piccolo starts out downright -awful-. The A+ is a downside rather than an up for most of the game. Later on, he's still one of the frailest mages and there are plenty of more flexible characters that can get an S in Lightning.

Snowe: 3/10. Gremio stats and unavailable for 3/4 of the game. At least he doesn't get forced on you half the time.
Keneth: 5/10. Starts with a Lightning Rune, but eh. Pretty average.
Tal: 3/10. Why use him? S4 Earth Rune is complete trash.
Jewel: 4/10. Early Water Rune, I guess.
Paula: 5/10. Early Wind Rune? These guys are just kinda academic anyway.

Georg: 6.5/10. I don't care about horrific cockteasing, but Georg is a great physical fighter that takes very little effort to be good. Problem is that his crowd control isn't that great (glowing replacing swings is bad for randombusting) and his availability has issues -anyway-.
Sialeeds: 4/10. The magic stat is pretty amazing, but the other stats are kinda junky. Serviceable, but I wouldn't use her for prolonged periods.
Miakis: 9/10. Good no matter how you build her. Miakis has great magic, three free rune slots available before anyone else besides pure mages and sports all the right stats for game-best physical twinkery. She does take a little bit of effort to work into that steamroller, but her physical offense is ultimately unmatched and getting that mag+free right hand means she's in for top-tier magery too - oh and good equipment too. Just too good.
Galleon: 3/10. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew pure tank in suikoden 5
Kyle: 5/10. Makes a solid mage, I guess? Physical isn't hopeless either.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 05:03:29 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 01, 2011, 05:18:42 AM »
Cleo: Boom.  8/10.
Gremio: hahaha no.  3/10.
Pahn: Meh.  3.5/10.
Viktor-1: Garbage.  2/10.
Odessa: DNR
Flik-1: Very solid.  7/10.

Nanami: Meh.  4/10.
Bolgan: Why bother unless you have to.  3/10.
Eilie: Okay but only that.  5/10.
Rina: Solid enough.  6/10.
Flik-2: Also solid enough.  6/10.
Viktor-2: Meh.  4/10.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 12, 2011, 02:50:47 AM »
chaos: 3/10. He has theoretical use involving his #2 magic stat, but it tends not to pan out in practice much. Innate spirit helps for a few randoms.
Jin Uzuki: 3.5/10. Quite badly outclassed by KOS-MOS and there's little reason to use both. Again, has a slight edge over her in randoms (slash element damage while enemies are grounded) but overall, eh.
Gaignum Kukai "Rubedo" Jr.: 6/10. Piercing damage is a good element, he can break even if he can't air/down, generally better stats than Jin.
Ziggurat "Ziggy" 8: 6/10. Really really good if you want to do physical damage or fire, or the chains you have planned don't suffer from those. However, forced element does make him useless sometimes.
MOMO: 8/10. Well we all know the story. Game-best magic, great element, so she smashes things and is more durable than you'd expect. Also speed/MP make her the best support character even if she weren't good at killing things.
Shion Uzuki: 4.5/10. While she's obviously great in the aftergame, maingame the chain really screws her up sometimes. However, there are a good number of mec enemies very weak to lightning, beam, and magic, and she at least shines against those even if she should be laughed out of most boss fights.
KOS MOS: 7/10. You need someone to air/down enemies. Obviously Ziggy's a good man for that sometimes, but too often he isn't, and then your choice is to either use KOS or the vastly inferior Jin. Even when you're using Ziggy, KOS is generally a better Jr. thanks to that strength/HP. So yeah, second best PC.

Cleo: 7.5/10. Great magic and speed, decent physical and durability! Yeah, no weaknesses here. Not sure it's an 8 since she doesn't actively stand out, but she's good.
Gremio: 2/10. Okay early on with the Talisman unite, LVP after Pahn leaves, descends into "just awful" as his post-L20 strength growth kicks in. I guess Talisman saves him from that 1.
Pahn: 4/10. The better side of the Talisman unite, and in general uh... kinda decent for a S1 fighter without a broken rune. But that's not good enough.
Viktor-1: 3/10. High HP helps some midgame, and Clone Rune can mitigate his horrid hit while keeping his decent power, but overall, bleh.
Odessa: DNR. Good though.
Flik-1: 7/10. Almost a Cleo clone; she has more magic (and is L-range) and he has more strength and otherwise they're basically identical. She wins that clearly enough, but not by a huge margin or anything.

Nanami: 5/10. Spark Rune and reasonable overall stats makes her quite workable, but she's nothing special.
Bolgan: 2.5/10. I probably need to look at him more closely but I remember him being quite underwhelming.
Eilie: 4.5/10. Feels a bit overall underwhelming, magic needed to be higher. B fire is something.
Rina: 6.5/10. One of the first PCs to hit three rune slots, and decent magic. I generally didn't find S2 physical twink runes so easy to come by to rate this as highly as one could, but she still deserves some respect even if she lacks any worthwhile A/B affinities.
Flik-2: 6.5/10. Again, pretty decent all-around. Stats are lower than in S1, but at least he got a B in lightning.
Viktor-2: 4/10. Has power I guess.

Thomas: 2.5/10. Okay in his own chapters, useless garbage outside them.
Cecille: 5/10. Outright good in her own chapters, useless outside them (one of the worst tank-types even after she catches up).
Juan: 7.5/10. Status immunity isn't too hard to get, you can even snag it in Thomas' own chapters if you're crafty. Still a bit of a slower starter, but so much smash.
Piccolo: 3/10. See Thomas, although he's a bit better all-around despite being a pure mage in S3.

Snowe: 3/10. Well he's better than Gremio or something.
Keneth: 6/10. Lightning shenanigans are decent.
Tal: 3/10. Physicals and the earth rune don't really cut it when you don't even have speed.
Jewel: 4/10. Lots of better choices for her role.
Paula: 6/10. Decent mage but not exceptional, and wind isn't the most useful affinity.

Georg: 7.5/10. Georg is great. He'd hilariously be worse if you could use him for the final fight, or if there wasn't a three-part dungeon before the final so your using him would hurt your Exp. Otherwise, the best physical fighter before twinking and holds up admirably after.
Sialeeds: 2/10. Yeah, she... starts out as like a 4, sure. Game-worst PC by the time she leaves, though. No free rune slots whatsoever, Wind ain't cuttin' it.
Miakis: 8.5/10. I think everyone knows the story here, first PC to three rune slots + good speed + good magic + good base physical + above average durability. Does everything, and unmatched at the midgame physical destruction.
Galleon: 3.5/10. One of the better tanks in S5, while Cecile is one of the worst in S3! I'll let you guys decide what it says that the latter is clearly the better PC.
Kyle: 6/10. Flik type, but the speed holds the mix back a bit.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:34:11 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 12, 2011, 07:11:56 AM »
chaos: 2/10
Jin Uzuki: 3/10
Gaignum Kukai "Rubedo" Jr.: 7/10
Ziggurat "Ziggy" 8: 6/10
MOMO: 8.5/10
Shion Uzuki: 3/10
KOS MOS: 7.5/10

Cleo: 7/10
Gremio: 1.5/10
Pahn: 3/10
Viktor-1: 2/10
Odessa: DNR
Flik-1: 7.5/10

Nanami: 4/10
Bolgan: Abstain
Eilie: 4/10
Rina: 7/10
Flik-2: 5.5/10
Viktor-2: 5/10

Thomas: 3/10
Cecille: 3.5/10
Juan: 6/10
Piccolo: 3/10

Snowe: 3/10
Keneth: 6/10
Tal: 3/10
Jewel: 4/10
Paula: 4/10

Georg: 7.5/10
Sialeeds: 2/10
Miakis: 8/10
Galleon: 3/10
Kyle: 7/10
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #724 on: November 12, 2011, 10:42:53 AM »

chaos: 2.5/10 - Point for high magic stat.
Jin Uzuki: 3/10 - Redundant but workable.
Gaignum Kukai "Rubedo" Jr.: 7/10 - Yay
Ziggurat "Ziggy" 8: 6/10 - Yay
MOMO: 8.5/10 - Super Yay
Shion Uzuki: 3.5/10 - Usable on randoms
KOS MOS: 7.5/10 - Yay

Cleo: 7/10
Gremio: 2/10
Pahn: 3/10
Viktor-1: 2/10
Odessa: 6/10 - Great for when you have her!
Flik-1: 7.5/10

Nanami: 6/10 - Points for being workable and good availability when there aren't a lot of options. The few times she's not available, it's not hurting you.
Bolgan: 3/10 - Underwhelming even among the early options!
Eilie: 4.5/10 - Good warm body when you need them!
Rina: 7/10 - Yay
Flik-2: 5.5/10
Viktor-2: 5/10

Thomas: 3/10 - I'm still amused by the fact that he starts out with one HP for every year he's been alive.
Cecille: 5.5/10 - Found her more useful outside of her chapters than Elf did, I guess.
Juan: 7/10 - Breaking the Thomas chapters alone would get him this score. Being good outside of it against S3's cast is pretty awesome.
Piccolo: 3/10

Snowe: 3/10
Keneth: 6/10
Tal: 3/10
Jewel: 4/10
Paula: 5/10

Georg: 7/10 - What a tease
Sialeeds: 3/10 - Terrible, but a good warm body early on. Loses a point for being forced when she's terrible.
Miakis: 9/10 - Breakin' the game~
Galleon: 3/10
Kyle: 7/10 -  Defending girls is cool.