Author Topic: Dragon Warrior (Full)  (Read 3637 times)

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
Dragon Warrior (Full)
« on: December 18, 2007, 09:19:44 PM »
Short one.

Hero
LV: 19
HP: 130
MP: 115
Strength: 81
Agility: 80
Attack: 121
Defense: 88

Erdrick's Sword
Erdrick's Armor (reduces fire and magic attacks by 1/3, grants immunity to silence)
Silver Shield

Attack: 31 physical damage, ~96% accuracy, 1/32 chance to critical for 91 ITD damage.
Heal (4 MP): 14 healing.
Hurt (2 MP): 7 magic damage, ~66% accuracy.
Sleep (2 MP): Sleep, 100% normally,  5/16 chance against average enemy resistance.  50% chance to wear off each turn.
Radiant (3 MP): Lights up dark areas for 200 steps.  The radius is 3 for the first 80 steps and then decreases by 1 every 60 steps.
Stopspell (2 MP): Silence, 100% normally, ~41% chance against average enemy resistance.
Outside (6 MP): Escapes a dungeon.
Return (8 MP): Returns to Tantagel Castle.
Repel (2 MP): Stops encounters on the field.
Healmore (10 MP): 93 healing.
Hurtmore (5 MP): 61 magic damage, ~66% accuracy.

Averages
Just kidding.

Bosses
Green Dragon
HP: 57
Strength: 88
Agility: 74 (Takes 54% from physical.  24% chance to go first.)
Sleep resist: 7/16
Silence resist: 15/16
Magic resist: 1/8
Dodge: 1/32

Skills:
Attacks: 23 physical damage.
Breathing fire: 20 fire damage.

Hero's stats:
LV: 12
HP: 63
MP: 58
Strength: 46
Agility: 39
Attack: 66
Defense: 53
Damage: 20

Golem
HP: 62
Strength: 120
Agility: 60 (Takes 109% from physical.  14% chance to go first.)
Sleep resist: 15/16 (0 against the Fairy Flute.)
Magic resist: 15/16

Skills:
Attacks: 33 physical damage.

Hero's stats:
LV: 14
HP: 78
MP: 70
Strength: 57
Agility: 52
Attack: 77
Defense: 60
Damage: 16

Axe Knight
HP: 62
Strength: 90
Agility: 82  (Takes 88% from physical.  17% chance to act first.)
Sleep resist: 15/16
Silence resist: 3/16
Magic resist: 1/16
Dodge: 1/64

Skills:
Attack: 20 physical damage.
Sleep: Sleep, 100%.  50% chance to wear off after each turn.

Hero's stats:
LV: 15
HP: 86
MP: 72
Strength: 64
Agility: 60
Attack: 92
Defense: 74
Damage: 22

I know Infinity already got Dragonlord's stats, but I took notes as well, just for completion.

Dragonlord (form 1)
HP: 88
Strength: 90
Agility: 75  (12% chance to act first.)
Immune to criticals.

Skills:
Attack: 17 physical damage.
Hurtmore: 25 magical damage.
Stopspell: Silence, 50%.  (Hero immunes this through armor, though.)

Dragonlord (form 2)
Strength: 140
Agility: 200  (Takes 25% from physicals.  31% chance to act first.)
Immune to criticals.

Skills:
Attacks: 36 physical damage.
Breathing fire: 46 fire damage.

Hero's stats:
LV: 19
Strength: 81
Attack: 121
Defense: 88
Damage: 61
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 12:25:21 PM by Talaysen »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Warrior
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 09:20:52 PM »
For the Fenrirs, average stats for Hero taking into account all different names.

HP: 124.25
MP: 109.75
Strength: 83.25
Agility: 82.25
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:20:20 AM by Talaysen »

Shihali

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Warrior (Full)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 11:31:10 PM »
Are these for the original or the remake?  They look like they're for the original.  I ask because in the remake the Dragonlord displays different behavior; he makes smaller attacks for 3 rounds then a much nastier fire attack on the 4th (if my rusty memory is correct it does 60-80 damage against similar Hero stats).  Overall I think the remake Dragonlord was harder, although some of it was coming into the fight at level 18 instead of level 24.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 02:54:55 AM »
This is the original, yeah.  I took some notes on GBC Dragonlord on the old boards, but they're lost now and I never saved them to my HD.

Shihali

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 10:39:39 AM »
Note to people looking at NES stats: Ryan8Bit has all but completely cracked the game.  Read his mechanics FAQ here: http://www.ryan8bit.com/formulas.txt.  He's working on a Dragon Warrior simulator to computationally find the optimal run through the game.  

I find it interesting that against randoms at the bottom of Charlock Castle Stopspell has a 44% (7/16) chance of being blocked, but against all other enemies you would want to cast Stopspell on, Stopspell works 81-100% of the time.  Monsters with Stopspell often have 44% resistance, but if your plan hinges on casting Stopspell on one of those your plan has other problems.  

Sleep resistance is common and increases as monsters get stronger but wildly variable.  An average from Skeleton to Red Dragon is 50%, but there's only one monster with exactly 50% resistance and many with <26% or 94% (15/16 is maximum).

Also, Erdrick's Armor grants, along with 33% damage reduction from fire (Hurt spells and firebreath), immunity to Stopspell.  I got breathed on for 70 damage (65% HP!) with the Magic Armor on for experimentation.

Although you have no chance to heal between forms, status ailments (the only possible one being Stopspell) do clear between the Dragonlord fights.  Dragon Warrior does not have any statuses that persist between battles, so the game seems to treat the Dragonlord as two battles strung directly together instead of a continuation of one battle.

On to the main point of the post:

This is from my old playthrough of the Japanese SNES remake of DQ1+2 (so probably the same as the GBC version).  I didn't take care to make it a DL-legal playthrough but I don't recall using seeds.

Hero:
LV: 19 (possibly overleveled?)
HP: 145
Strength: 84
Defense: 44
Attack: 124
Defense: 97

Loto Sword
Loto Armor
Silver Shield

Attack: 40
Heal (3 MP): 26 healing.
Firebal (2 MP): 17 damage.
Sleep (2 MP): Sleep, hit or miss (86% on RockGolems, 0% on otherwise non-magic-resistant AxeKnights; might check monster's power)
Radiant (2 MP): Lights up dark areas.
StopSpell (2 MP): Silence,  very high (~94% in tests - except against Wizards, 40%)
Outside (6 MP): Escapes a dungeon.
Return (8 MP): Returns to Tantegel Castle.
Repel (2 MP): Stops encounters on the field.
Healmore (8 MP): 91 healing.
Firebane (5 MP): 60 damage.

There is no magic defense in this game; if a spell hits it deals full normal damage.

Since randoms are no stronger than they were in the original, the Hero is much stronger than in the original, but Sleep is said to be very unreliable.  On the other hand, StopSpell is nearly 100% except against enemies with specific resistance or magic immunity (general magic resistance like a RedDragon is not enough).

DracoLord (form 1)
HP: 200? 240?
Speed: Always goes last.

Resists magic (Firebane failed 1/3).
Immune to status.

Skills:
Attack: 28
Firebane: 29
Sleep: Sleep, ~50% (I wasn't taking notes)
Healmore: Healing (unknown amount)

Damages to randoms/him:
Attack: 40/33
Firebal: 17/17
Firebane: 60/57

Appears to have ~80 defense, as a critical hit scored 112 damage and IIRC Dragon Warrior uses a subtraction system.  Or 110?

Thoughts: Much tougher than the speedbump from the original.  Healmore and Sleep are the two spells you don't want a monster to have and StopSpell immunity can make beating him a frustrating exercise in RNG outmaneuvering.  Not a serious threat to the hero, but he can drain resources needed for:

DracoLord (form 2)
HP: 350?
Speed: Goes first 50% of the time.  Fastest enemy in the game?

Resists magic (Firebane failed 7/17, 40%)
Immune to status.

Skills:
Intense flames: 51
Physical: 40
Emits a bright blaze: 13
Breathes fire: 12

The DracoLord always uses these attacks in the above order.

Damages to randoms/him:
Attack: 40/25
Firebal: 17/18
Firebane: 60/59

A critical hit scored 110 damage.

Thoughts: Losing magic immunity hurts.  Firebane-ing him to death is a viable strategy if you make it through the first form with enough MP.  Despite triple HP in this form he should prefer his original form unless his opponent has ITD physicals or something else that ruins his defense.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:16:18 AM by Shihali »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 05:53:46 PM »
Another note, also based off Ryan8bit's Mechanics FAQ that Shihali mentioned:

* Initiative: I believe that initiative only matters for the first turn.  e.g. there will never be a "double turn" in DW1, the Hero can lose the first action but you will always perfectly trade turns afterward.  The init formula is actually quite simple: [Rand] * AGL for both sides, EXCEPT the monsters have a "*.25" in there as well, quartering their effective agility.  You can see that this means that between the Hero and a monster of the same Agility - and Agility usually is comparable - the Hero will go first ~87.5% of the time, and the monster will go first 12.5% of the time.  (Think of it as "when the hero's random is between .25-1.00, he autowins, while when it's between 0-.25, it's a fair 50/50 split of that case, which happens 25% of the time.)  So "always goes last" is a bit unfair, especially to Dragonlord 2, whom if I read the mechanics FAQ right has a ~30% chance of going first.  (200 AGL to Hero's 80 AGL, so 50 to 80, 50/80 = 62%, 62/2 = 31%.)

* Criticals, that is, "an excellent move."  The Hero has a 1/32 chance to get one period (3%).  Not very dependable in the DL.  They're ITD, similar to later Dragon Quests, so if you're lucky enough it was possible to get one on the Dragonlord, it'd kick his ass.  (EDIT: But as Tal noted, Dragonlord is immune anyway.)

* As Shihali already noted, Erdrick's Armor can strongly be argued to have Fire Resistance, and possibly also Magic Resistance (HURT & HURTMORE are the only two damaging spells in the game), although for most people that just gets "averaged" as the cast's magic defense rather than taken literally like Fire Resistance.

* Dragonlord 1 & 2 actually do not have perfect magic resistance...  but close enough.  15/16 (94%) of HURT / HURTMORE fail against him, which is good because HURT/HURTMORE have set damages that'd get around Dragonlord 2's awesome defense.  This only helps out the most insane of pure mages, though.  Zophar-with-all-parts hype might have a shot thanks to multiacting, although Dragonlord is probably still favored?

Anyway, this stat topic is missing one rather famous foe...  the terror of Tantagel...  the one... the only...

Slime
HP: 3
Attack: 1 damage
Evasion: Dodges 1/64 of physical attacks (~1.6%).

Goes first ~9% of the time, goes second ~91% of the time; trades turns afterward.

0% resistance to Sleep, 94% resistance to Silence (but Silence doesn't matter).

Lvl. 1 Hero:
HP: 15
Damage vs. Slime: 2-4 (avg. 3).

Note that it's possible but unwise to have bought the Bamboo Pole / Leather Armor combo rather than the Club / Clothes combo if you like your battles taking longer.  Slime will still do 1 damage, but the Hero will do more like 1-3 damage unless he picked his name to have more early Strength.

If you face a Slime while overleveled, he might run every turn he gets, including an initiative run, no chance for you to even input a command.  It's a 25% chance for run; Slimes start running once the Hero hits lvl. 6 (and has 2x Slime's Strength).  A lvl. 6 hero should be way more badass than a lvl. 1 hero, so only matters if Slime faces Godlikes really.

Anyway, Puny.  15HKO damage, OHKO'd by average (.40 PCHP by default, something even worse if you ignore the fact Slime is faced solo), status bait.  Better hope for an amazing string of dodges.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 05:23:07 PM by SnowFire »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 12:27:20 PM »
Updated the first post with the new info.

By the way, Dragonlord is immune to crits.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 06:40:47 PM »
Nitpicking time!
Hurtmore (5 MP): 61 magic damage, ~66% accuracy.
Hurtmore is learned extremely late - level 19.  As such I'd probably only care about its accuracy in the final dungeon (which is around when you'll probably learn it).  GameFAQs has a solid bestiary here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/563408-dragon-warrior/faqs/69121

I believe Demon Knight & forward are the Charlock Castle enemies.  Anyway, the average of HURT resistance there, counting the Dragonlord only once (not twice), is 45% = 55% accuracy on HURTMORE.  (Alternatively, you can see Hurtmore as 100% accurate and certain enemies as just awesome!  Although that doesn't really help DQ1 Hero, as then his "damage average" just goes up....).  Mix in all the old enemies and the accuracy probably floats back toward 66% though, so YMMV.