Author Topic: Behind the Scenes at the Duelling League: Happy Endings  (Read 6165 times)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Behind the Scenes at the Duelling League: Happy Endings
« on: March 16, 2009, 06:56:33 AM »
A happy ending. That’s all anyone ever wants. It means something different to everyone, but, in the end, that’s what everyone aims for. The smile of their kids, the warmth of their lover, the cold satisfaction of revenge… it all boils down to being someone’s happy ending.

That’s the dream, no matter how you slice it.

The sun beat gently on the three of them as they lay, stretched out grass. The warm breeze was refreshing, the feel of it washing away all memories of the world that lay so far beneath them. Together, the three of them had risked everything to find this place.

This was supposed to be their paradise.

Lin’s ears perked up as she head Ryu shift, repositioning himself on the dew-laden grass. “Hey, Lin…”

The worren rolled onto her side. “Yeah?” She was surprised to see Ryu fidget, casting his gaze towards the ground. “Something wrong?”

“Promise me you’ll look after Nina?”

Lin blinked and, in that instant, paradise was gone. The sky melted away, leaving behind the beige ceiling of Lin’s room. There was no warm breeze, just the stale chill and monotonous hum of a decrepit air conditioner. The soft, wet grass turned out to be nothing more than her stiff and uncomfortable mattress.

Nina - she must have crawled into bed with her at some point during the night – cooed softly, her tiny hand clutching Lin’s side.

Of course. It was just a dream.

She’d lost count of how many times she’d had it since they had been taken, stolen from the paradise that they had earned. Denied the companionship they both desired. Forced into this endless hell, the promise of a miraculous reunion stretching further and further from their grasp. And there was nothing they could do but brace themselves and fight on. Fight to erase the pain. Fight to keep the hope of that reunion alive.

A soft sigh escaped from her as she closed her eyes once more, wishing that sleep would come easy again. She knew it wouldn’t, but it did no good to dwell on the futility of it. She had to be strong.

She wouldn’t abandon Nina.

She wouldn’t give Them the satisfaction of knowing her pain.

She wouldn’t degrade herself or do disservice to Ryu by giving up now.

Pulling the thin blanket up higher to try and help keep the tiny girl beside her. “You’ll do great tomorrow, Nina. I know it.”

Whether she really believed it or not, Lin wasn’t sure. Winning was the only way to keep their dreams in sight. There wasn’t even proof that it would matter, but it at least provided the sweet illusion of progress.

As the darkness of sleep once more began to overtake Lin, she prayed silently for dreams of a better time and a better place.

A place far away from the accursed arena and the ones who stole her happy ending.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:40:05 AM by AndrewRogue »

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
Re: Behind the Scenes at the Duelling League: Happy Endings
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 02:08:04 AM »
This is a really interesting take on the otherwise lighthearted "Backstage Omake" meta that the league normally undergoes. It's almost potentially too grim- "retired" comrades being ripped out of existence, deceased comrades being held in a state of temporary life that they know will fade the moment they "go home". Intriguing.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:14:15 AM »
It also clashes with the general tone of BoF5, which is namely a pretty happy story in spite of the extremely grim setting.  Enjoyable read though. Dystopian DL, eh?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Taishyr

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 03:51:08 AM »
Duelers aren't resurrected, the DL just makes another copy from that timeline and throws them in again, making the shadow versions of themselves literally engaged in a fight for their lives - something of which doublechamping is the only escape from.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 05:25:39 AM »
Duelers aren't resurrected, the DL just makes another copy from that timeline and throws them in again, making the shadow versions of themselves literally engaged in a fight for their lives - something of which doublechamping is the only escape from.

You have given a significant amount of extremely depressing thought to this. XD

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 05:34:14 AM »
Sucks to be a Godlike then?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Taishyr

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 07:53:04 AM »
Mad Fnorder: If by significant you mean ten seconds and application of other dystopian style themes. >_>

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 08:36:41 AM »
It's just another pebble in the mountain of negative continuity that is the DL's universe.

(Fnorder's is particularly out there even by standards, though. The ability to revive a dead person - not an unconscious one, a dead one - is reasonably common among the ranked roster of games, but who in the DL has the power Fnorder described?)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 08:38:50 AM by Monkeyfinger »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 09:12:09 AM »
Monkey: I think Fnorder was simply making a logical leap from the alternate-canon I wrote here. The DL exists in an alternate world, and the duelists are all individuals taken from their worlds. Therefore, dead duelists have been resurrected by the forces that be in the DL. To that end, if someone can have the promise of return dangled in front of them as a motivator, then being deaded again obviously exists as a threat. Add in that they theoretically couldn't be returned to their world (since they are dead there), and it becomes a pretty dark world.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 09:22:13 AM »
I mixed up names and meant to lambaste Taishyr's theory, not Fnorder's. Apologies.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 09:51:13 AM »
Ah. Fair enough. M'bad >_>

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 12:41:38 AM »
The crack of the carbonated gases escaping from the bottle broke the deafening silence in the empty arena. The taste wasn’t quite what Yuri was hoping for, but, at the moment, it would suffice.

Looking out over the seemingly endless rows of empty seats, Yuri couldn’t help but think of what his years here had brought him. A lot of fighters in the arena seemed pretty disgruntled, and he could understand that.

Sitting around bitching about wouldn’t do anything though.

The endless seats, the open floor of the arena and the cavernous bowels of the place that made up their quarters… the harmonixer couldn’t deny that it was all just an elaborate cage to try and keep the duelists pent up. That didn’t mean they weren’t in the position to try and make the best of it.

He’d met so many fighters in the arena who just seemed lost here. He’d also met a lot of assholes who seemed to get off on taking advantage of exploiting their depression. He couldn’t stand either. The former needed a kick in the ass to straighten their heads, and the latter needed to get stomped until they straightened out. People needed to realize that they weren’t powerless here.

At some level, he couldn’t help but admit he enjoyed it. No more threat of looming war. All the psychopathic assholes were well within his reach, where he could shove a boot up their ass and tell them off if they stepped out of line. He could fight for fun. He could trash talk. He got to posture in front of a crowd and, backstage, he got to help people out. He got…

“Yuri…”

He got another chance. “Alice! You’re up late!”

She smiled softly as she sat in a seat next to him, nodding. “I woke up and you were gone. I came to see if you were here. You always seem to be.”

He laughed awkwardly, the sound filling the silent arena. Even after all his time here, he still felt a bit like an awkward kid in front of her. “Have I gotten that predictable?”

“Yeah, you really have,” she answered, a twinge of amusement coloring her voice.

“Guess I’ll have to shake it up a bit. Otherwise they’re gong to take my badass card.” Tossing the half empty bottle aside, he stood swiftly, surprising Alice as he scooped her up. “Come on!”

“Y-Yuri…”

His happiness and his memories… they were his.

He was never going to let them go.

“Let’s go!”

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 01:41:04 AM »
I liked this entry, Andrew. For all the doom and gloom of the first one, it's nice to note that even under your interp, some people get lucky.

As far as DL backstory goes, in the back of my mind I kind of thought it would be sort of like the ending of Convergence. A couple of groups of PCs got together and made a Sigil-like city, coupling CT/EB style time travel with PS's cloning to create full copies of all our duellers. (The inexact science could help explain some of our larger deviations from canon *coughChisatocough*) New ranks could be considered recruits to the collective for what they could provide or just new first contacts (SO3 would be most notable due to the potential world-creating they'd be able to manage). Their "real" worlds are moving along and they aren't really part of them anymore, so they have copies for when they want to visit. Morte sticks around because one city of doors is as good as another for him.

Though I was always more concerned with the current state of flux...

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 05:28:41 AM »
At some level, he couldn’t help but admit he enjoyed it. No more threat of looming war. All the psychopathic assholes were well within his reach, where he could shove a boot up their ass and tell them off if they stepped out of line. He could fight for fun. He could trash talk. He got to posture in front of a crowd and, backstage, he got to help people out. He got…

“Yuri…”

This entry was a nice surprise... I almost cried. Really sweet but understated. Good character choice.

I personally always imagined the DL was more of a 'come and go as you please' pocket dimension where the tournament was held. I imagine the ones who were brought to the DL just before unfortunate accidents tended not to 'go' too much. And regulars like Chisato probably enjoy it there more than others. I have this image of Ramus using the economy-less dimension to basically form the ultimate monopoly for the residents of the dimension. Maybe other merchant duelists like Taloon and Tia have set up shop as well to form a working mini-community? Or maybe the duelists bring faceless NPCs along to handle all the little things? Of course, under this interpretation, I have just unintentionally created a system of NPC slavery that will crumble under some future 'equal rights' revolution when the Hero-personality PCs realize how the NPCs are being exploited...

Dammit, the DL is just naturally dystopian no matter how I try to imagine it...

-Djinn

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 05:47:15 AM »
You are so depressing ;_;

I imagine the DL is an orgy of crazy fun of all sorts, with everyone from FFT being used as a punching bag/joke. 

Mmm...Maria/Natalia...mmm....
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 06:07:19 AM »
I personally always imagined the DL was more of a 'come and go as you please' pocket dimension where the tournament was held.

Same here. The main thing that causes me to kneejerk this way is the countless number of writeups that feature duelers casually moving between the DL and the individual worlds of RPGs - usually their own, but sometimes those of other people.

There's also the question of who'd run this kidnapping scheme and get away with it. The top powers in the DL, however you define the term, are for the most part rivals, and in most exceptional cases, outright enemies. No way could these people hold their shit together well enough to keep doing something like this. Someone would foil the setup, be it due to moral outrage, butthurt over a match outcome, or just for shits and giggles.

But ultimately, I'm arguing about the farce that is DL canon, where your theory could, in fact, somehow coexist with all the factors I just brought up. That's just how shit works here.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 06:53:20 AM »
I viewed it as more of an extended vacation- Characters are aware of how their stories "ended", and of the game-nature of things, but now that THAT's all over with (That being their respective plots) they can kick back, battle for personal glory, meet some new people, and get drunk with alarming regularity (Considering how often alcohol is a writeup element).

You know what might be an interesting scene? Lulu from Suiko3 tagging along with Hugo, while Hugo struggles to communicate how much he's changed from when Lulu "knew him".

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 07:04:02 AM »
In the beginning, it was coincidence that three particular random events occurred simultaneously in three very different worlds. Lucca Ashtear was unveiling her newest transportation device at the Millenium Fair. Lilka Eleniak was preparing a Teleport Gem for her next destination on Filgaia. And at a celebration party somewhere, Viki sneezed.

The resulting dimensional rift in the time-space continuum brought all three to a small pocket dimension uninhabited by sentient life. Surprised and distraught, the three young women set to work trying to open a portal to their individual homes.

The brilliant mind of Lucca Ashtear led them through the scientific rigor of testing various devices powered by both physical and magical forces. Lilka, though still an apprentice mage, had studied enough to break down the normal processes of magical teleportation and dimensional travel. Viki, eager to help, was in charge of making tea.

After a few attempts at dimensional travel that had only succeeded in transporting items like trees, bicycles, and an abandoned space station to the pocket dimension, the group finally created a stable portal. And to their fortune, the first thing to come falling unceremoniously out of the portal was the revered Lenneth Valkyrie, who was on her way to a time-shifted Midgard in pursuit of a vagrant time-travelling deviant. Some reports of this incident recall that Viki had once again sneezed.

With the help of an all-powerful Creation Goddess who was in hurry, the group began to open multiple portals to all kinds of different realities. While some were not so friendly, quite a few of dimension-displaced victims were quite adventurous. Exploration of the small pocket dimension began. As more and more ammenities became easy to attain, some of ever-expanding group began to grow attached to the world.

Indeed, after returning to their home dimensions for some much-needed world-saving, each of the original founders ended up coming back to the pocket dimension's tranquil atmosphere. A vacation spot of sorts for some, a chance for entrepeneurship for others. It wasn't long before the more battle-minded visitors set up a tournament, using the pocket dimension's multiple portals to invite champions from all across the multi-verse. It ended up being quite a profitable spectator sport.

To this day, Lucca and Lilka (and by honorable mention, Viki) remain the go-to experts on DL Portal Management, though with the enormous amount of technological and magical experts visiting the realm, the system is hardly ever in need of repairs. Many scientists throughout the multi-verse have hailed the DL's engineering department as a bastion of education, and applauded the use of the DL's profits from its Sporting division to fund their research efforts.

Dr. Ashtear proudly stated in a recent interview, "The only thing the organization spends more on than the Transport Research department is the DL Medical division... And when you consider the amount of casualities and creative methods of destroying eachother the Duelists have devised, the focus on White Magic and Cloning technology really becomes a bigger priority."

-Except from "History of the DL" Documentary, Part one

This is kind of how I imagine the DL... A little bit more light-hearted than most, maybe?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:14:03 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 11:50:04 AM »
My own thoughts are that the DL's 'powers' are us who run the show and keep things stable. It's pretty much otherwise left to the inmates to run things, which fits in how people gain and lose respect. It's how a minor PC like Edge can become such a powerhouse. I also like how much writeups became a reflection on canon and help trigger success and vice versa.
-------------------

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 06:30:28 PM »
I picture the retired duellers living in some sort of paradise resort.

and Paulette wondering why Kharg isnt there yet. :P Bebedora didnt respond when she showed up last month. :p

Imoen: Hey I even upgraded, so why do I go to the retirement home?
Orgodemir: I never even got a chance so stop complaining!
Paulette: Orgodemir was ranked?
Dario: Imoen, I champed! I got sent here too!
Imoen: Well you champed the same season as Menardi!
Ulala: MAYA! where are you!
Lena: Alanna is the only one that likes us!

Thea: I made some tea everyone. Lets all enjoy this bright sunny day.

Paulette: Thea, every day is bright and sunny here at the retirement home!
Orgodemir: At least you all dont have boot marks on your butt from when it was called BOOTING!

See, retired duelers need love too! (except Morte has love still since he is still in BTS)

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 11:30:34 PM »
I picture the retired duellers living in some sort of paradise resort.

and Paulette wondering why Kharg isnt there yet. :P Bebedora didnt respond when she showed up last month. :p

Lena: Alanna is the only one that likes us!

Thea: I made some tea everyone. Lets all enjoy this bright sunny day.

See, retired duelers need love too! (except Morte has love still since he is still in BTS)

Haha, this is cute. You should write a bonus about "The DL Retirement Home Brawl!"

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 04:54:27 AM »
Necron probably wins that one. Him or Meis.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 11:22:05 AM »
Orgodemier'd be my bet there. We haven't kicked out too many strong godlikes though. Guido's possible as well.
-------------------

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 05:02:24 PM »
Eh, Necron gets an ATB bar for every opponent, right?  So in a free for all... yeah. >_>

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 09:53:27 AM »
For some reason, I felt Andrew plauyed too much Dissidia.... Of course, which is a good thing.

And Yaku, Necron has at least 2 ATB bar.