Register

Author Topic: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)  (Read 409470 times)

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
Re: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)
« Reply #1900 on: September 07, 2013, 02:39:40 AM »
Issue corrected and new patches uploaded.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Dapifer

• Platinum Paladin
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: September 07, 2013, 06:34:55 AM »
Thank you for everything, for this patch and this thread, thank you very much to everyone involved and KUDOS for a job well done!!

One last thing, in that version of the patch I turned Undead one enemy Lancer in the first Orbonne fight in the last stretch of Ch. 2; as far as I understand the Undead status, you gain all the quirks associated with the rest of the undead monsters, that is, Cure damages, Phoenix Down = Death, Death spell = Full Cure, etc.

If my assessment is correct, than I reckon that Seal Evil should work on such a character, however in that fight I mentioned it couldn't be affected, 00% chance or "invalid" target, it was a bug or does the Undead condition is not affected by Seal Evil? (Snipe job command Skill)
-Semper Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem-

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: September 08, 2013, 04:55:59 AM »
That lancer probably had an equip that blocked petrify, since you should be able to Zombie -> Seal Evil just fine.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: September 08, 2013, 06:11:46 AM »
IMPORTANT NOTE: Finger Guard apparently doesn't block Negotiate.  Can't spoil Talk Skill too much, after all!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: September 08, 2013, 01:41:03 PM »
That's a known thing.  I don't think Laggy can fix it.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: September 08, 2013, 11:09:03 PM »
Obvious bug that I don't know why no one has caught.  Zombie status is not applying Move on Water like is clearly intended.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dapifer

• Platinum Paladin
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: September 09, 2013, 05:44:06 AM »
That lancer probably had an equip that blocked petrify, since you should be able to Zombie -> Seal Evil just fine.

Hmmm, you are most likely correct, thanks for the reply!

Another nitpick, I was fidlying around an old save file, and discover something funny:

Velius class is a Warlock and apparently when you fight him he prepared for the fight putting a Mass Dispel Zone on the ground you fight him.

What I mean is, apparently fighting Velius cancels all the "Start: Condition" effects on items. My Ninja with the Vanish Mantle didn't started the fight Transparent, for example.

I believe it adds a new layer of difficulty to the fight and it's thematically appropiate, but I don't know if that was intended or not, and I don't know if Velius needs help feeling like a challenging Boss.

Anyways, once again thank you for this patch, FFT is my favorite game of all time and this patch makes it even better, it feels like the game is being played as intended.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: September 09, 2013, 11:10:27 PM »
That bug always existed in vanilla, and it happens at other places like Balk 1 as well. Ramza's position on the PBF determines whether other party members get their initial Start effects are not (I think you want to place him in the lower left ideally, but I'm not 100% sure. May want to consult the BMG.)
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Dapifer

• Platinum Paladin
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: September 10, 2013, 07:25:56 AM »
That bug always existed in vanilla, and it happens at other places like Balk 1 as well. Ramza's position on the PBF determines whether other party members get their initial Start effects are not (I think you want to place him in the lower left ideally, but I'm not 100% sure. May want to consult the BMG.)

I see, thanks for the reply, love the LFT Divine Knight, finally she can step from the abyss and into the main roster, and pull her own weight as well.

Also, loe the poaches, it's the main reason for random encounters, for me at least.

Regdren

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: October 17, 2013, 03:41:02 PM »
Hey, I just started this mod. It looks like it has some interesting things that I'd like to play around with. I also play 1.3, this seems more like a casual thing to relax with. I might be inclined to make a screenshot LP of this, is there a good place on these forums to do that?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: October 17, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forums!

If you'd like to post a screenshot LP here, the best thing to do is probably to make a new topic in general chat.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: October 17, 2013, 04:11:33 PM »
We always love seeing new LFT LPs, too. Don't think we've have a screencap one yet either, so have at. Glad you're enjoying the mod~
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Regdren

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: October 17, 2013, 04:39:41 PM »
Thanks very much. I'm not going to start it right away; gonna save up some material ahead of time so I can keep things going steady, just in case. Probably the first few posts will have a lot of talk about what my plans are, and the updates will be more focused on the battles as the LP progresses.

Edit: the thread is underway!

http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,6400.0.html

Any feedback is welcome.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:42:58 PM by Regdren »

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: October 01, 2014, 06:17:29 AM »
9/30/2014 update:
- Added in a cutscene text skip hack. If you hold down X (cancel) button during cutscenes, it will scroll through the text rapidly, faster than normal means (and won't require you to keep hitting a button to get through dialogue boxes). Yes, this works with  l i t t l e  m o n e y.
- Removed forced cooldown on animations when using Math Skill.
- Updated Heal's in-game description to note which statuses it does not cure (thanks NEB.)
- Updated cameos.

TigerKnee

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: October 18, 2014, 06:54:41 AM »
Nice.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: March 23, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

aett

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: August 18, 2016, 06:03:53 AM »
This is a longshot since I don't know if anyone still checks this board, but Google has completely failed me, so here we go.

The LFT patch (both the normal one and the Complete Translation version) locks up my PSP every time I try to equip an ability. I can get through battles without any issues, but as soon as I go into a menu and try to set an ability, it instantly freezes and requires a hard reboot. The ISO itself is fine - I tried it vanilla and with the FFT 1.3 patch, and they don't have any issues.

The only thing that Google did for me was prove that other people HAD converted this to an EBOOT file and played it on their PSPs, so I wonder if anyone knows about this particular issue or how to solve it.

Thank you!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: August 18, 2016, 04:53:08 PM »
I don't know if LFT has worked in a native environment since ASM hacking started happening.  Think only old versions work for PSX/PSP emulation.  I think it is emulating on a PC or bust these days (Worth it but it makes play on the go much harder).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: September 06, 2016, 08:07:36 PM »
mc and Laggy 2-unit challenge, special LFT edition

So we did this like eight years ago in vanilla and it just kind of crumpled under the trifecta of Bolt, Ramuh, and Meteor (I think I ran DO Ubersquire and didn't actually do very much for most of the run). I suspect that this will not be quite the case in LFT.

As an aside mc and I generally don't grind very much (sitting around stalling for JP only happens if the fight is ending conveniently enough to allow it, crystals are nice but not a necessity to painstakingly eat each and every one, etc.) so our setups will be largely constrained by what JP we actually have available. We pretty much don't do randoms unless we have to. That said, we'll probably have to at some point.

Mandalia Plains

We do not choose to save Algus and take our free Brave boost.

The fight is basically designed such that any loss you take here is mainly due to being careless and not keeping yourselves topped off or having bad positioning. Having 2 units pretty much emphasizes this. Algus doesn't get shanked instantly and retreats to our side, which is helpful. The cat overextends and gets taken out first, and from there it's just killing units as they march up using Algus as a bottleneck. Potions are thrown.

Sweegy Woods

mc opts to become an ice mage while I hop over to Knight. I'm a little paranoid about the potential of a wipe to Bomb exploding shenanigans but it turns out to be unwarranted. Guests (who are set on Knight immediately and kept on there for the entirety of Ch1) deal with the first bomb, cat gets 2HKOed, all goblins are OHKOed except one (who punches Algus to his merry death and then runs off into a corner while we mop up).

Dorter Slums

No Item set on PCs (mc shifts over to Time Mage for JP running Ice/Poison), which makes the initial barrage from the roof Archer a bit dicey when Algus refuses to cooperate in healing her. Fortunately Wish exists, so after a revive that Archer goes down and the other ones, while threatening with their ability to be mobile with Ignore Height, are still effectively zoned out. The Knight has Potion and that's about as annoying as you expect in Ch1, but the Wizards exhaust their MP on the guests and become non-factors, so from that point it's just a slow slog of picking them off.

Sand Ra-a-a-a-a-a-ts (1 reset)

Later it turns out you can set two units on the same team in PBF as long as you don't have more, but we didn't realize that at first so we deploy in different spots for this fight.

mc moves in to poison Grefter and his merry band of rebels (turns out Poison's great when you're hitting three Knights and other units are just icing). I hop over to Archer with the intent of just camping the top of the cellar for a near guaranteed victory once the enemy Archer is dead. Our plans don't work out quite as we hope when it turns out he has other ideas and casually oneshots mc with a crit. I don't have Guts set and several enemy units loaded with Item and Antidote themselves off. We stall to see if Delita becomes cooperative about reviving, but he doesn't, so that causes a reset.

Second time around RNG doesn't screw us and the poison plan goes much more successful, albeit the archer still remains a nuisance by dodging a hit and delaying the ability to man the roof uncontested. However, this time Grefter loads with Hi-Potion so it becomes a huge slog to actually eliminate units from the fight. At some point Algus derps and stops bodyblocking the entrance for a turn, which lets a couple of units spill out, one of which kills mc midcharge because we forgot Spin Fist is 2 range now. Fortunately I do have Guts set this time, and although it's a bit tense with Knights in our face and with Delita on critical health AI, we manage to reset the timer and eventually polish off the rest of the units.

Grefter puts up a mighty long struggle in his corner as he frantically tries to redistribute wealth to the masses, but it turns out Distribute doesn't work when you're the only one alive. RIP the revolution.

Thieves Fort

We go in here expecting a blitz, but I idly comment that despite how it seems intuitive to rush Miluda this fight often pans out to become a total bloodbath with many more units dying before she does due to the presence of Thieves and Priests raising them, and I turn out to be right. Delita gets ganged up on hard and retreats to his sad 1 tile plank island in the very corner of the map. This turns out to be crucial as it diverts a couple of enemy Thieves over trying to swim to his position, wasting valuable turns as they sink in depth 2 and flounder as to how they're supposed to get there.

mc gets locked on with Bolt on turn 1 and spends the rest of the fight on death's door, but after seeing Delita and the relative inability of Death Corps to swim she too decides to take a dive into the water near the start, effectively zoning out most attempts to melee her as long as one other person serves as a bodyblock. Algus proves surprisingly cooperative in this regard, even throwing a Potion to stave her off from getting oneshotted when he does ultimately decide to move out (to get killed). Our initial attempts to focus on Miluda prove futile so I eventually just run to the other side of the fort on like height 13 and rain down death. Eventually the Priests run out of MP, the Thieves drown and Miluda crumples under the weight of arrows.

Lenalia Plateau (4-5 resets)
"This is a fairly easy fight, right?"

"Yeah I think so, we can probably get away with trying to get some JP here."

Nope. Algus is gone, Delita's AI is horribly unimpressive here and this is the first fight that actually lets you (expects you?) to deploy a full 5 unit team but we only have 2. And there's just a lot of enemy opposition, and Miluda has Move HP Up which is actually quite enough to discourage assassinating her with only two PCs to spare. mc is in Summoner to get JP, but with no summons actually learned, so she's pretty much just a Wizard--.

Initial runs go poorly as I'm dicking around in Chemist trying to get JP (with Equip Bow). The threat of the enemy mages ranges greatly depending on how much Faith they load in with, where attempts that end up with hasted Miluda or level 2-3 Black Magic spells causing OHKOs faring about as well as you'd expect. And the enemy Knights, while typically not able to hit us, do zone us out well enough that maneuverability becomes a serious issue as we try to find openings to take out the mages and/or Miluda, and they certainly aren't going down anytime soon. Delita is less effective as a distraction then we'd hope and the fight being 6 on 3 in relative close quarters means even Knight durability doesn't last forever.

On the winning run we basically decide to stay back and shift to the left pond as the enemy mages are baited nicely into stacking up and being burned down quickly, and since both of us can take a physical fairly safely a slow attrition fight works in our favor with Miluda's team lacking any sort of ability to heal. Miluda herself can get threatening with Elemental sometimes fucking you over on a status proc but fortunately that doesn't happen here, and we eke out a win after, again, every enemy unit ends up dead on the ground.

Windmill Shed (5-6 resets)

The Monks generally load with Earth Slash, which means Wiegraf pretty much threatens to kill us in one action afterwards and there's no time to heal up in this fight. Even Boco proves a nuisance as he gets in Delita's face and ward off kills on enemy units or Wiegraf with Choco Cure. The Oracle is generally non-factor (starts far away), but there were a couple of attempts where she just caused a wipe by casting Confusion Song or some other bullshit run-ending status.

Most of the resets just involve not being able to seal the deal with Wiegraf, often with one of us dying before getting a critical damage-dealing action off, a silly mistake like being on two tiles with 0v for maximum Stasis Sword value, forgetting that Split Punch does a little more damage and miscalculating his ability to have lethal on us, or being fucked over by his mantle evasion (seriously. Wiegraf, stahp). When a run comes together where none of this happens and evade hax is avoided, we win. Not too much else to say here, although we did eventually figure out that hiding in the tiny alcove behind the windmill is advantageous to avoid chip damage from the other enemy units and let us run out for the kill. There was one funny moment where mc ran behind there and Boco, who had up to this point done jack all, ran up and trapped her inside that would've otherwise allowed a guaranteed kill with Shiva on Wiegraf. Them's the breaks.

Fort Zeakden (1 reset)

Archer is close to free win here, so I go it with the intent of climbing the fort and just waiting until enough Auto-Potion procs fail. However Ramza always gets locked turn 1 by the advancing enemy Wizard. I have a free hit on her mid-charge and it's enough for Delita to kill her after I retreat, so I take it, completely forgetting that Delita is even dumber than usual in this fight and is scripted only to attack Algus. So the spell resolves, and I'm not quite dead but close, and I figure that my health is irrelevant since I'm running up to the fort out of reach of everyone anyway.

I forgot Super is set with a crossbow and crossbows can shoot up, and I positioned myself at the edge of the roof for maximum range to reach Algus. He shows me the errors of my ways.

Neeeeeeeeeeeeext time I carefully position myself back a bit further and all goes well. It isn't ACTUALLY a free win as units can eventually climb up onto the fort and there's no way in hell you can mow down all of those Knights and Wizards before they get in range, but mc came in as Time Mage and hastes me, gets a Poison off on Algus, and he doesn't trigger Auto-Potion twice in a row (plus I have Concentrate) so it ends relatively painlessly.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 10:10:33 PM by Laggy »

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: September 06, 2016, 10:03:56 PM »
Dorter 2 (many resets, yes)

Dorter 2 is not supposed to be a hard fight. You have two swordskillers with mid-Ch2 heavy armor on them that basically duo this fight in their sleep in vanilla. This made me 'appreciate' just how much Thieves and Archers were buffed relative to their former incarnations.

First off, Andrew is buff as all hell. He has a Platina Dagger in one hand and a Green Beret, so he's just all up in ganktown, nearly 2HKOing Gaffy (his physical is like 96 or something) and just flat out oneshotting us as squishy Chemist and Priest if he ever gets in range. The other Thief isn't quite as bad but still hits quite hard. There's a longbow archer up top being just annoying enough to force out damage each turn to threaten any other enemy unit on the map killing in one action. The crossbow archer can load with strong enough Charges to OHKO even from full sometimes if she gets close enough. And anyone getting hasted on the enemy side is bad news, multiple units being horrible news, and that can definitely happen.

Honestly most of our wipes come from underestimating the sheer amount of offense being thrown at us and trying to find a way to attrition through it anyway. Fights boiled down to Gaffy not surviving getting stabbed a billion times or eating a particularly hard crossbow bolt to the face. This is with a setup with two healers where we're healing him every opportunity or even charging Cure between charge resolutions to try to keep him up. It doesn't work, he's too old. Agrias mostly gets ignored, but the swordskillers are typically 3HKOing enemy units and that's just not nearly fast enough to staunch the bleeding. And once a guest goes down the enemy units turn their attention to us, and we have half their HP and no parasitic healing. Yeah.

So I go Knight to run up and draw fire (spoilers that's a running theme for this run when we're having difficulty), and with the offense split between me and Gaffy things go way better. Andrew and the other thief get shanked relatively quickly, and even after getting back up from enemy Raises they don't quite threaten hard enough to score a kill. mc does eventually draw enough fire to get unavoidably killed but since I'm a strong independent Knight who don't need no Potions I came in with Guts and thus have revival.

The longbow Archer is a nuisance because she fucks up AI and Gaffy and Agrias waffle around indecisively as they struggle how to navigate to hit her (they CAN, but they don't know that since they're incapable of walking up there due to Jump 4 or height ignoring movements being necessary to close to melee range). And mc is actually almost out of MP. Fortunately I have STONES and mc had picked up MP Restore as a super budget reaction at some point, and it actually procs, letting her blast the remaining enemy unit to smithereens.

Andy did not drop his hat. Stingy bastard. IT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE GROUND BUT NOT FOR US

Araguay Woods

Boco runs to you on turn 1 now, yay 7 move!

Anyway Ice Bow just came out and mc is an ice mage, uh yeah this isn't a fight. We friendly fire the guests for giggles but the goblins die so fast we don't even have time to troll around for more JP, rip.

Zerekile Falls (1 reset)

mc insists on leaving Gaffy with a Power Wrist set in Priest because she wants to see him fist or something. My objections were ignored.

Anyway I've been on Chemist with a bow for a while, and in a fight with five Knights my damage is going to be anemic, so I convince mc to pick up Zombie as her first spell in Oracle. The results are about as hilarious as you expect. The wipe came not actually from being threatened at any point in the fight ever but because Ovelia got her shit broken and didn't run up to the waterfall, but instead came back down into the open arms of enemy Knights. A reenactment of one of Long Live the Queen's endings followed.

Next run she doesn't do that, and instead comes to us while charging Mbarrier with Gaffy and his two knight buddies in range to punish. Fortunately one of them takes the bait when I run up to present a target and the princess lives.

Fort Zaland City (3 resets)

Saving Musty is the only appropriate choice of course, so we do it and prepare for poor life decisions.

This fight is kinda noteworthy in that you really want to use Spike Shoes here (Izlude being another honorable mention). We do so, and quickly getting up to the wall turns out to be crucial in all of our attempts.

mc grabbed Silence Song from the JP earned in the previous fight and it predictably turns out to be a godsend, completely neutering the enemy Wizards which would otherwise be horribly destroying us with their level 3/4 spells and summons. There are some situations where we are forced to silence the one targeting Mustadio to avoid an immediate wipe, which causes one of us to take massive (but usually not fatal) damage.

The Knight that loads with Item is of course as irritating as he always is, but once again zombification effectively neutralizes the carefree tossing of X-Potions.

On one run Musty just straight up gets nuked without us being able to do too much about it (silence missed or something). On another things are going well but Musty walks in a bit too far and both of us forgot about the oracle with a stick and Two Hands was sitting next to him and uh rip. Finally we avoid him getting waxed by being overly paranoid about keeping him topped off.

As a sidenote Agrias getting Power Broken causes her swordskills to do like 9 damage to Knights. We taught her Crush Punch explicitly to get around this issue and it ends up going 0/4. Dammit Agrias.

Barius Hill (2 resets)

Prior to the fight, mc and I have a friendly debate on whether vanilla Archers or LFT Geomancers are more threatening units, with her saying she fears just straight up damage more and me having sour memories of Hell Ivy proccing causing instant wipes, with not-too-far behind damage and aoe potential on top of that. My fears do in fact come true as Stop lands and we just sort of lose right there. Trying again, both of us are just far too squishy, the Summoners stepping close kill her in one hit and Elemental chips just enough that Geo or Lancer physicals quickly finish us off, and there's again not so much room to walk around that it's easy to avoid it.

With enough fancy footwork and maybe Musty not instantly dying at the start there's the potential to control the fight, but I just say fuck it and roll Knight again (with a crossbow), and predictably that swings things totally around, mc getting easy Shivas off to wipe the battlefield, Agrias advancing forward to lure the remaining units to their icy doom.

The highlight was one Summoner at the start running out and charges something painful, and I sat there agonizing about the best course of action, trying to see where I could position myself, which unit to hit to gain maximum efficiency to deal with the upcoming set of turns, why is this tree in the way, etc. for a minute when mc pointed out I could walk up and just shoot her in the face for OHKO damage. Oh. Well. Yeah. The fight was pretty steamrolley after that.

Zigolis Swamp (1 reset)

"Musty's just gonna smoke everyone with Seal Evil, it will be ez pz, we can get some jp"

"oh ok"

Back to Chemist for me, since I'm gunning eventually for Auto-Potion (grabbing Phoenix Down for Zombie synergy slowed me down a bit; I know that I'm a dirty dirty person for daring to get Phoenix Down in Item. mc comments several times about how aghast I seemed at bothering to use Phoenix Down for revival instead of comboing it with Undead, like how dare I use for its intended purpose!!). Obviously it's great to be a Chemist in this fight.

So what happens is that Musty refuses to Seal Evil anything, he loves his 36 damage gunshots, I walk forward to score an easy kill on a Ghost because 56 Brave MP Switch don't scare me, then I get shot by a 2HKO soul and run away whimpering, the ghost comes up and is like 'sup' and Shadow Stitches me, mc gets murdered when she gets caught offguard by skeletons' improved Soul ranges, Musty runs around like a chicken with his head cut off, we get ghost trained.

Okay that was just a fluke right? We go again and Musty actually petrifies shit this time (guess it wasn't good odds last run and that's why he didn't try it due to zodiac compat). This time the Flotiball wanders in and I'm like 'yeah that thing has auto reflect so not much to be done about it' (she's in Time Mage with Black).

Then it's time that mc learned about 'Difference' (spoilers, it deals damage equal to your MP), so rip her. I run frantically away from ghosts and pick her back up while Musty carries our asses and I too learn about 'Difference' but fortunately being a scrub tier Chemist it's far from killing me. There is a bit of tension at the end when she's on a timer and I'm almost dead too, opting again to chance a risk at failing to break through MP Switch by pdowning a ghost, but fortunately it works; I drop afterwards but Musty is up to the task and kills the remaining enemy unit.

Pigfear did not spawn on either attempts.

Goug Machine City (many resets)

First fight without (real) guests, and yeah it's a hard one. This is the fight mc predicted would be our first real roadblock. Musty of course spawns next to two Thieves, and unless he loads with Arm Aim, lands it successfully, AND has bad compat with the other Thief, he never survives to see another turn. He didn't on any of our runs. I've seen it happen once but that's astronomically low odds.

mc comes in as a Wizard with Summon, the idea being that we're totally not going to win without landing some money Shivas and taking out multiple baddies at once. There's two opposing Summoners, a longbow and crossbow Archer each, and the Musty-murdering Thieves. The Archers very frequently load with Concentrate, making our newly acquired Leather and Wizard Mantles feel a bit underwhelming, though sometimes they didn't (on the winning run evading crossbow shots was very crucial to victory).

There's some variance in how the enemy units end up positioning themselves at the start. For starters Musty can stay up on the level where he is before getting killed or run down on his turn, the latter of which nicely positions the Thieves to be bunched up to be immediately taken out (or put to critical) by Shiva by mc while remaining out of enemy summon range. Sometimes the archers/summoners also bunch up such that it's an open question whether it's worth it for her to step out in the open to land a money shot, the success of these attempts varying and involving a lot of math to figure out exactly how much damage is being dealt. This is very important because the longbow Archer comes pre-loaded with Item, and not-quite-fatal hits (which happen a lot) are converted from effectively neutralizing the unit to just a trade for one turn of critical AI and said archer using a potion on them, which is a lot less desirable.

The summoners are summoners, being threatening as always with massive 9 tile reach (3 move + 4 range + 2 aoe), typically doing a high 2HKO barring compat nonsense if we step too close. The xbow archer's threat value ranges greatly depending on compat and what level of Charges he has available to him. I give up quickly on trying to play anything but Knight here and even then he's managed to project as high as 105 damage on me. The Thieves aren't too bad, but sometimes they break equipment and it's awful, not even because of the gil loss (gil is pretty irrelevant on a 2 unit playthrough) but because they permanently reduce my max HP, which is a big deal because my whole role here is damage magnet trying to survive through full rounds of enemy attacks (being 1 speed lower due to Knight doesn't help) and occasionally taking calculated risks to finish off enemy units to avoid the Item-using Archer to bringing him back to life. Oh yeah and sometimes he can pdown too of course.

Eventually another nice opening Shiva on the summoners and me charging into the fray takes them out nicely, and it eventually becomes a stickling point that mc moves forward to sack the Item Archer even though it means exposing herself. She dies, but without the enemy team having access to revival or healing I can soak up enough damage and reset her counter enough by haxxing out enough dodges from the remaining archer/thief combo, though it does require a fair degree of luck to pull it off. Our timers are never conveniently synced for the longest time so it takes a good long while for her to actually get an action when she's revived, but eventually she does and that finally concludes the fight by killing one of the remaining units.

Barius Valley (6-7 resets)

This is a fight that kind of caught us off-guard, as the damage output from enemies here isn't terribly high but Agrias still doesn't last forever, and the enemy Priests come with absolute buckets of healing, dragging the fight on forever by healing or raising units, and Agrias just doesn't do enough that keeping her alive as a damage engine is a viable strategy.

mc alternates between trying Time Mage and Oracle here (on the winning run Oracle is used), while I stick to Chemist, using my newfound gun and completely mastered Battle Skill (turns out I had to play Knight a lot in this playthrough) to break stuff, which ends up often being more efficient than any damage dealing action even on other setups. (Head/Armor Break often score 50-60 damage when used first, which is a winning trade on enemy Knights, and breaking their weapons seriously slows down their ability to kill Agrias.)

So there are some hitches. For starters, there's a Knight with Talk Skill here, and he tends to alternate between Negotiate (high odds of ST stop, kills your evade, absolutely murder if it lands on Agrias because without her shield and the ability to move she becomes a pincushion, if it lands on either of us it's probably a wipe too), and Death Sentence (not... quite so bad, but if it lands on me, mc has no revival, and this is a fight with multiple Priests and Knights, so it doesn't end anytime soon, ever). I actually momentarily equipped DS protection just to avoid this mishap when it caused an early wipe, although ultimately I settled for a mantle and zoning out that knight carefully (he can also come in with Persuade, which does low odds CT->0 and is vastly preferable to the other two).

The Oracles can threaten some damage with Bolt (heavy rain is in play), some status that can be really annoying (confusion typically caused us to wipe, Silence on mc completely neutralizes her, one can come with a BOOK that actually inflicted berserk on me and Agrias on separate attempts and ultimately caused turns to spiral out of control into unwinnable situations.)

The Priests just make the fight drag on really hard and drain resources, making it hard to keep stuff permanently down. Their spells are semi random but they usually come with some high powered Cures and often Raise. Yet they're still relatively low priority targets because they start far back and are hard to hit, out of range of mc's spells and I don't get great mileage out of hitting them since breaking their equipment is less potent than hitting Knights and without good compat and hitting midcharge both they just typically shrug off damage.

Wipes typically happened with Agrias dying, albeit there were some situations where we got statused out and just became incapable of doing anything, but typically we didn't die to damage. With that in mind it was becoming too hard to keep her alive while simultaneously neutralizing the enemies effectively enough to actually get progress on winning. We got good progress on a run when we decided to try to pull out Zombie again, which would shut off Priest healing and let us combo with pdown for a 2-action kill on enemy units (read: Knights), but the Knights start closest so what happened was that while they were taken out quickly, the fight still dragged on long enough that they lucked out on reanimation at a crucial moment and caused us to wipe.

Eventually it got to the point where we concluded that it was just not possible to stick back and we needed to get up there to draw fire away from Agrias and cause units to line up for Bolt and Stasis Sword. mc also opted to switch out of using a rod for a stick, which helped tremendously by giving her an option to gank casters mid-charge that was just not possible before with spells (Oracle casting silence? 100+ stick to face, plz), and swapped out of Black Magic completely for Item (revival, and since we were sticking to the Zombie strat throwing pdowns would be fine as an offensive option).

Things were looking better, Agrias even landing Stop on a caster or two to turn the tide in our favor when the Talk Skill Knight walked up and landed Death Sentence on both of us. That was the first crisis. Since mc happened to be ahead on CT we had her consistently act without moving to speed up her turns while I did full move-acts even when it wasn't the most pragmatic action under normal circumstances to try to speed up her turns, such that DS would kill her off before I got my last action. We edged it out barely, a single clocktick all that separated us from causing that turn lap to happen.

Pdowns get exchanged; I revive her, I die, she revives me immediately afterwards, but of course enemy units are still in our face and since we're squishy and casually sitting around at 1-20 hp they ignore Agrias and go after us. mc goes down pretty much immediately again, and I'm surrounded from all sides and thinking, there's no way in hell I can evade all of this, since I'm in Chemist and stupidly forgot to pick up Equip Shield, so all I have is a Small Mantle (18% evade). Three attacks (an enemy spell, a knight punch and an oracle physical) fail to connect thrice in succession and we're freaking out. I heal up and gtfo, Agrias closes in to wax one of them and eventually I find the turn to get mc back up for us to get the fight back under control. It's STILL scary because Agrias is sitting around 50 hp, but I broke the enemy Knights' swords at the start of the fight and she manages to deflect a hit here and there so it turns out okay.

The second crisis is at the end, when all that's left is one enemy Oracle at 30 HP, all of us healthy and Agrias closing in for the kill with several units lying around the battlefield about to crystallize. I look at mc and the conversation goes like this...

"We should probably get that crystal shouldn't we? We've had serious issues finding opportunities to get JP."

"Yeah... probably. I mean, I don't think we can lose this fight in this position"

"And those are Oracle crystals, probably good chances of having what you want"

"Yeah... so Agrias is gonna kill that Oracle and end the fight, we need to stop her from doing that"

"I'll just potion the Oracle, that'll bring him up to 60 and stop Stasis Sword from being lethal"

"Sounds good... wait, Agrias is in range of that crystal isn't she? We don't want her to pick it up"

"Eh, she's at full HP. She's poisoned though. Will that cause the AI to grab the crystal? The poison tick comes at the end, so it shouldn't, right?"

"Hmm... not sure."

"Wait, we can pdown this knight here instead. That way there are 2 units left on the battlefield, both at low HP and she can kill only one. And she'll definitely choose to secure a kill, so that should work"

"Are we seriously advocating reviving an enemy unit on this fight at the end with victory so close after all the wipes we've had"

"Yes"

"Yes?"

"Yes."

"What the fuck."

So I pdown the knight and I'm not even paying attention since our plan is failproof and of course the knight has enough CT that he gets an action. But it's FINE because we're all healthy, including Agrias, so it's like... whatever, he hits one of us, right? He runs around behind mc and breaks her weapon. Okay, annoying, but not the end of the world.

Agrias moves up and kills the oracle. mc's turn comes around.

"Okay, get the crystal"

"Sure... wait... I'm not in range"

"Wait, what?"

"The knight's bodyblocking me"

"Oh fuck are you serious"

We agonize over it for a minute trying to figure out the best course of action, and then...

"Wait, we're overthinking this. He's at 6 HP, I can just kill him and move through his corpse to get the crystal"

"Oh duh, right, that's obvious. Well, you have to get through his front evade, that might be annoying"

"Yeah but it's still probably our best shot... wait, what? 1 damage?"

"Oh... uh..."

We remember he broke her weapon.

"Well fuck"

Next turn Agrias rolls her eyes at all of us, walks in to take the crystal and kills the Knight, ending the fight.

rip our dreams

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: September 06, 2016, 10:42:07 PM »
Your war logs are intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Agrias had clearly had enough of this shit.

Maybe.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: September 06, 2016, 11:35:58 PM »
Barius Valley randoms (5 resets for 1 successful run!!!)

We poke into Golgorand and get our asses handed to us promptly, even after extensive pre-battle planning and discussion. So after some deliberation it's decided we probably need to buckle down and get some JP, with mc having sat on ~450 JP on Time Mage for forever (with eyes on either Short Charge/Meteor or Teleport), and me wanting to grab Auto Potion. So we decide to try out Barius Valley to find a favorable encounter and get those out of the way, since the execution site is such a looming roadblock.

Now, randoms in LFT are not a joke (THANKS RICHARD). They're not necessarily even easier than story fights or anything. But Barius Valley is a map that sharply segregates two sides with the river, with units being forced to funnel through over the one tile bridge for the most part, or take several turns swimming. It's also the only map available to us so it's not like we have a lot of choice in the matter anyhow.

The enemies that typically spawn here are:

- Cats (Red Panthers can Steal Heart at 3 range at about 40-50% accuracy, Cuars can Blaster at 3 range for 35%~ Stop or Petrify or Cat Kick for highly variable damage, up to and including nearly OHKO range. Both have range 1 Poison Nail which adds Poison and more relevantly Slow)
- Goblins (suck. Reds can Eye Gouge at melee for confusion. Blacks can Turn Punch at range 2 for bad damage. Sometimes Blacks can do their Monster Skill and DID, that's another story entirely)
- Chocobos (Yellows or Blacks, usually 1 Black showed up. Blacks are slow but can fly, negating the terrain advantage, can Choco Ball for 4 range 55~ damage and can Choco Cure allies at critical health)
- Squids (the terrors of Barius Valley.)

I need to talk about squids now because they're kind of one of the more changed enemies of LFT. At some point we decided it would be interesting to put dances and songs on enemies and squids became the candidate, such that their ingame family names actually got altered to suit it appropriately (Disco Demons! Squidlarkins! Mindraves!) But even aside from that they're interesting, and threatening, monsters. They:

1. Have Counter Flood as a reaction - running off of monster MA and PA that is no joke, Counter Flood procs are nearly fatal on damage ALONE, and Counter Flood acts just like Elemental in that I sure hope you aren't standing next to each other on v0 tiles
2. Squidlarkins and Mind Raves have at-will Mind Blast, so ranged 35-40% Confusion or Berserk is always a threat. Fortunately the AI tends to favor raving out to songs and dances over using it, but it's very potent and scary if it lands
3. Disco Demons have Black Ink, which is now 2 range and a solid magic-based 2HKO instead of being FFT Blind with no damage attached
4. Songs and dances.
- Disco Demons have Wiznaibus, which is probably the least threatening, dealing about 7-8 damage every tick, which does add up (and ignore Knight reduction) but certainly manageable.
- Squidlarkins have Nameless Song, which normally isn't awful, but can start becoming an issue in prolonged fights... such as challenge runs where you only have 2 PCs vs 6 monsters and they start across a river and you have no fast way to kill enemies. Notably Haste and Reraise are awful awful awful, Haste throwing off spell charge times and making any enemy immediately a threat, and Reraise, while NORMALLY not a huge deal, is a problem if the enemy team has a healer and can get those reraised units back into action. Which, at Barius Valley where a chocobo almost always spawns, does in fact happen, and even without that, another status that Nameless Song adds that you normally don't care about is Regen... which again also gets those revived enemies back into the fray.
- Mindraves have Disillusion. You probably don't even know what it does. It's -1 MA to the enemy party. Sounds like whatever, except hitting squids is like dancing with death (Counter Flood = asafsdsfaf my face), so you have to OHKO them to safely kill them. And they're weak to Lightning, so the way to go is to nuke with Bolt. Unfortunately if you have 4 MA before you even get in range that's probably not gonna happen.

Also Mindraves have an outrageous HP mult relative to the other squids and spawned with over 200 HP so even landing weakness on them with heavy rain, Bolt 2 did not always OHKO, that happened once and it sucked.

What went wrong?

- First run was of course us underestimating just how fast enemies can ford across the river, turns out we only had a couple of turns before cats started getting into our face, so while Haste could be set up or I could shoot something with Charged gunshots it wasn't quite enough to neutralize an incoming enemy. mc didn't realize she'd moved just into range of Steal Heart, spell get cancelled by charm, rip
- Cuar lands petrify, rip
- Black Chocobo gets in our face, we frantically fend it off and it runs away, Nameless Song goes off, it heals itself, Reraise goes out everwhere and when we kill stuff the chocobo is a dick and flies in to heal it, we succumb to nothing dying ever, rip
- Haste on Nameless Song accelerates a Black Goblin's turn, it walks to mc on 0v with a Red Goblin we'd ignored adjacent to it. Want to know what skill Black Goblin gets with Monster Skill? It's Stop Breath, baby! 100% ID! rip
- Berserk on a gun user is really bad and causes them to just shoot blindly anywhere, everywhere, oh hey mc is in the way of my gunshot? Well turns out I REALLY wanna shoot that cat behind a tree! *bang* rip

In the run where mc gets petrified by a Cuar the fight was actually going relatively well, with only 3 enemy units left alive (the Cuar, a Black Goblin and a Squidlarkin). I retreat from the starting location leaving mc's statue behind, the idea being that with 8 range gun I can just kite forever and hope that eventually I'll pick them off slowly, one by one... but no, Nameless Song is relentless, haste procs, cat catches up and uses fucking POISON NAIL, Slow lands, tripleturns start happening and I die in a ditch, poisoned and unloved as the kitty feasts on my corpse.

Finally at some point a couple of squids line up really nicely for Bolt 2 and get wiped off the face of the earth near the start of the fight, and the third squid (a freaking Squidlarkin of course) does NOT get insane luck with Nameless Song landing every worst possible status ever (though he sure did damn try), and the fight eventually becomes controllable enough that we get it down to a critical HP Cuar who gets speed broken to 1 and slowed continually while mc grinds out JP for Teleport and I completely master Knight (yes, I had started as Chemist. I gave up somewhere around wipe 3. Again.)

Also turns out speed 1 is the cap or something even with Slow as the cat did accumulate CT.

mc runs out of MP at some point and settles for paddling me with her staff in retribution for abandoning her statue in another timeline for JP until she's satisfied and kills the kitty to end the fight.

-

I have no idea how we're going to beat Golgorand yet. Three wipes already, the current strategy is to teleport up onto the gallows after killing Gaffy and an archer with Shiva. This has been rudely complicated by the presence of the second archer having pre-set Yin-Yang (haha any status is horrible, zombie, silence, sleep, don't act, take your pick) and the Knight on the ramparts having fucking THROW (I completely forgot I set that) letting him gank mc even atop of there.

That'll be for another time! Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 01:39:39 AM by Laggy »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: September 07, 2016, 12:29:29 AM »
I thought they had been renamed Squidrockin. *air guitar*

Maybe.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: September 07, 2016, 12:51:00 AM »
im bad

the point is that we were literally killed by cthulhu bard

ph'nglui mglw'nafh tallychu ara'ara wgah'nagl fhtagn

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: September 07, 2016, 03:48:41 AM »
This is a longshot since I don't know if anyone still checks this board, but Google has completely failed me, so here we go.

The LFT patch (both the normal one and the Complete Translation version) locks up my PSP every time I try to equip an ability. I can get through battles without any issues, but as soon as I go into a menu and try to set an ability, it instantly freezes and requires a hard reboot. The ISO itself is fine - I tried it vanilla and with the FFT 1.3 patch, and they don't have any issues.

The only thing that Google did for me was prove that other people HAD converted this to an EBOOT file and played it on their PSPs, so I wonder if anyone knows about this particular issue or how to solve it.

Thank you!

Belated reply, but yeah, the most recent version of LFT doesn't work on the PSP or on original hardware unfortunately, evidently the ASM that prevents you from equipping abilities that are already innate to the job is what crashes it.