Register

Author Topic: Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter (Full)  (Read 3285 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter (Full)
« on: December 25, 2007, 07:05:31 PM »
Alright, I know this game has issues, so I'll explain
Stats are taken at level 40. That's a bit beyond End game, but as far as Ordinals are Concerned, its alright, so stats might seem a little high, but they will be the same proportionally. Just know for Bosses, the HP stats are higher than what you'd normally have against them, so take their damage with a grain of salt.
As far as AP goes, I consider them all to have 90 AP, which means 9 level 1 attacks, or 3 Level 2's and a level 3, etc. That's roughly end game AP for all 3 characters, its just easier that way.

Now, what equipment is best is hard to say exactly. Hence, I'll list their base stats, and equipment options I think they'd like given different situations, and list their stats. After discussing this a bit, I decided that I'm nixing Equipment with "+" values since each game, + values in shops raise one, hence, I just consider everything at their base (0), as well as the case with the Dragon Blade too.
As far as what's legal, I allow any non Fairy Store boughts. I'll deal with Chest items/monster drops later though, given that unlike FFX (a game with a similar aspect in Armor and Weapons), enemies have SET things to Steal/Drop, meaning that you'd always get the same equips each game. I also more or less allow any weapon, since weapons are COMPLETELY different for characters.
Finally, Shield Threading is ILLEGAL. Until I find a Shield thread that ryu can use that the others can't (or whatever), I am banning this. The closest I found were things like Counter attack which Ryu and Lin can use, but Nina can't. As far as I'm concerned, 2 out of 3 is TOO MUCH. So shield threading can bite me.

The other abilities are all unique, however, so they get all those. Well, ok, Ryu gets 2 abilities shared by someone else, namely with Bosch whose a temp PC with a Forced weapons that has locked Skills on, meaning Ryu shares Thrust and Fang (2 relatively worthless skills anyway) with him, but Temp PCs can burn, and Ryu is the only one who can learn it the "Normal" way, etc. so I let him have those (Why he'd use those is beyond me however)

Here are what each stat means:
HP: Durr...I'm still foggy on this one
Attack: Base for physical power (This + Weapon = Total Power)
Defense- Base for Physical defense (This + Shield + Armor
Magic- Base for Magical damage (only useful for NIna), and Magic Defense
Speed- The traditional meaning, the higher it is, the more turns you get on Dekar >.>

A few things to know:
BoF5 characters can "gather" AP by skipping thier turn, or cutting it short (using only some AP) Doing this lets their excess AP spill over into the next turn. However, they can only do as far as an amount equal to their 2x thier AP, meaning if they skip one turn entirely, skipping the next will not yield 3x AP, since having 2x AP is the Limit. Thus, in this case, the max they will have, before taking equipment into account, is 180, starting at 90. Should they use a level 1 attack (10 AP) and end their Turn, they get 170 AP to use on the next turn. End it there, they get 180, NOT 260 like you'd expect.
All attacks use AP, it is NOT "Ability Points" like in the previous BoF games, but rather, Action Points, similar to something like Chrono Cross' Stamina. Personally, I don't allow these to be hit attacks that drain AP, and conversly, moves that lower the enemies AP in BoF5 are worthless here unless they fight someone from the same game, or someone with just as compatible battle system (I might consider it Stamina Loss, for example, against a CC character but not sure even there)
Attacks use AP in the following Way:
Level 1s use 10 AP
Level 2s use 20 AP
Level 3s Use 30 AP
D-dive (Ryu's Special) uses No AP, nor does D-breath, Cool Down or D-charge (means they can be used indefinably each turn)
Nina's "remove Trap" ability doesn't require AP, why she'd want to use this is beyond me though, since in a duel setting, it serves no practical use
Lin has...no useful abilities outside of Write Up Fodder (if that) which don't cost AP, so no problems

BoF5 characters can Chain Attacks, meaning the follow up attack, if different from the Previous, will do more. Its better to show an example than explain:
Say Ryu uses slice (basic attack) which does 50 to an enemy. If he uses another Slice, its doing the same Damage. HOWEVER, if he uses Ogre Slice (Basic attack with lower Accuracy but Higher Critical hit rate), it gets a 10% damage increase, and becomes "Ogre Slice +10%" and anything different that follows up will get another 10% (So Side Slash used afterwords becomes Side Slash +20%, but if he uses Ogre Slice after the original, its still Ogre Slice +10%) Also, note that BoF5 characters can NOT back track abilities, meaning Ryu can't cheaply build up % by using Slice -> Ogre Slice +10% -> SLice +20%. Once he stops using Slice, he has to stop his attack sequence, and start over again (they can do this, ending their sequence and doing 2, obviously, why they would outside of Status combos is beyond me) Lin and Nina work the same way
NOTE: Nina can NOT combine Traps or "Charging" abilities (Lag Vallhalla and Ragnorak) with others. So no cheap Ragnorak +50%
Lastly about turns, BoF5 characters can go chain level 1's with other Level 1's, or go to the adjacent Level 2 or any other level 2 that had its corresponding Level 1 used before hand.
I know that sounds confusing, but meh, I suck at explaining, its easier to understand if you actually see the game itself. It sounds more confusing than it really is, trust me.

Finally, BoF5 characters can use certain number of attacks based on their Weapon, similar to how SaGa Frontier characters can only use a certain number of abilities in general. I'll list the slots available in their Weapons, so you know how many attacks they have.

Anyway, onto the characters!
NOTE: Equipment Weight subtracts from Speed, so the true Speed Stat is Speed - Equipment Weight. This is nothing new to the BoF series, obviously.
* = Locked ability, I'll mention what level it is later in the characters abilities section

Ryu: The first and only Ryu who can actually speak beyond a "..." consistently. Determined, and will hold nothing back to protect Nina, and even goes as far as hitting a guy with Glasses who bad mouths her to show that...

Stats:
HP- 445
Attack: 123
Defense- 118
Magic- 102
Speed- 73

Weapons:
Dragon Blade: +45 Attack, +50 Magic, +20% Accuracy, Weight 2
Abilities: *Side Slash, 2 Level 1's, 3 Level 2s, 3 level 3s
Legend Blade: +49 Attack, 15 Weight
Abilities: *Slice, *Great Smash, 2 Level 1s, 3 level 2s, 2 Level 3s

Shields:
Astral Guard: 0 Defense, 0 Weight, Reduces Magic Damage by 50%, lowers Max AP by 20 (meaning he has 70 instead of 90)
Solid Guard: 0 Defense, 0 Weight, Reduces Physical damage by 50%, Lowers Max AP by 20
Bari Shell: 0 Defense, 0 Weight, Reduces ALL damage by 25%, Lowers Max AP by 15
ChobohamPlate: 24 Defense, 1 Weight, no special aspects
Soul Shell: 0 Defense, 0 Weight, Reduces all damage based on Current HP, lower HP = Lower damage (I think its based off HP%, meaning at 1% HP, you take 1% Damage, and at full HP, you get no reduction), Reduces AP by 15% (NOT 15 Raw AP)
NOTE: For the damage reducers, they reduce ALL damage, including Defense ignoring stuff, by that amount.

Armors:
Protect Suit: 12 Defense, Immunity to all Status effects (this includes Instant Death)
Super Heavy: 34 Defense
Excel Suit: 14 Defense, Reduces likely hood of status effects by 75%
NOTE: I don't know their stats, but Ryu can opt for one of three Elemental reducing Armors for the Big 3 (Fire, Ice and Lighting) I'll get those stats later

Abilities:
To make things easier, I'm listing the base damage (a 100% multiplier), and just listing thier Multipliers, and what other things they do. You can make the adjustments.
Basic Damage: 50, 100% Accuracy
Level 1 Attacks:
Slice: 100% damage
Side Slash: 80% damage, (only listing cause its locked in the Draogn Blade)
Thrust: 40 damage, Ignores Defense
Third Eye: Boosts Accuracy to 255% (Perfect) for next ATTACK
Ogre Slice: 100%, Accuracy -50%, Causes Critical hit 75% of the time
NOTE: Critical Hits are 1.5x damage in BoF5
Dent Weapon: 80%, Lowers persons attack power by 5%, Stackable
Rust Armor: 80%, Lowers Persons defense by 5%, Stackable
Brainquake: 80%, Lowers persons Magic Power and Defense by 5%, Stackable
NOTE: I can't really test these well, since enemies in the end of the game have obnoxiously high resistance ratings, or are just plain immune. From when enemies used this on my PCs though, the success rate seems about 50%.

Level 2:
Vert Slash: 130%, -20% Accuracy
Fang: 65, Ignores Defense
Haze Cut: 120%, Accuracy +50%
Spirit Charge: Raises damage of next turn by 150%, not stackable
Wild Swing: Random Damage between 50% to 200%
Discharge: Records Damage done to Ryu, and hits them back with the damage he took over time. Should be noted that it records damage BEFORE the Damage Reduction via Shields, meaning if he uses one of those, he actually does 2x the damage he takes (noticed when Ryu only took 300 damage, he did over 600 to Elyon...)
Reversal: Varying Damage based on HP. Not sure how it works, but I don't think its a simple Max HP - Current HP attack *Shrugs* Probably is that, though, just not ITD...
Skullsplit: 125%, deals damage to enemies AP (NOTE: again, refer to what AP is when I say how this works. I don't consider this MP or equivalent there of Damage, but I might consider it CC Stamina damage)
Crimson Raid: 100%, Heals Ryu by amount equal to 10% damage (only thing close to a healing ability in BoF5, yay!)

Level 3:
Terabreak: 120 damage, Ignores Defense
Death Bringer: 125%, 100% chance of Critical if attack hits (Note that it has no Accuracy reduction, there's a reason this is a level 3 attack...)
Great Smash: INstant Death on success (about 50%), 100% damage on failure
Deathcleaver: 200%, deals 10% damage dealt to enemy back at Ryu

Wyrm Abilities (Prepare to be Awed):
Wyrm has about a 400% initial power increase, meaning his attacks do aobut 400% damage as is...
NOTE: None of Wyrm's attacks are Chainable
Vortex: 200% damage, Level 1 attack, +1.25% D-counter
Hurriance: 200% damage, level 2 attack, +1.5% D-counter
Twister: 600% Damage, Level 3 attack, +1.75% D-counter, hits 2x
NOTE: Twister only says it does 300% Damage, but what it doesn't tell you is it hits 2x, so its really 600% damage. No, its not 2x hits at weaker damage, since you'll notice a single Twister hit does about 1.5x damage of Vortex
D-breath: Does damage based on how long you hold the "X" button down, raises D-counter proportionately.
D-charge: Doubles Ryu's power, stackable 10x (o.o), each use increases D-counter by 2%
NOTE about Wyrm: there is NOTHING in the game that survives D-charge *4 + Twister, and only Elyon and D-bosch have a chance of surviving only D-charge * 3. Basically, Ryu5 takes the term "I win if I get a turn" to a new level, if you allow Wyrm. And some of you guys thought Wyrm was just hyped up
NOTE2: Wyrm is immune to ALL damage, status, etc. besides Dragon Slaying Moves/Weapons (like say Garr's Dragon Spaer in BoF3), or anything Dragon Based. Proof of this is Elyon's ubered Karma Circle, which does EBC Fate Storm level damage is reduced to 0 damage.
NOTE3: D-dive (the ability that turns him into Wyrm) does NOT take a turn, like Yuri's Fusions, Terra's Morph, or any Legend of Dragoon transformation, as opposed to his Brethren Ryu's who all need a turn to transform.

Evaluation: Alright, we already know what Ryu5 is like with Wyrm (Giving Him a turn makes giving Ryu3 a turn look almost plausible...), but what of his NON Ubered Wyrm abilities? He's got some weak parasitic healing, decent damage, Instant Death, and stat lowers. With his game best HP, and the Dragon Blade giving PHENOMONAL Magic Boosts, as well as the option of Complete Status immunity, he's a pretty durable character. While not as good as any of the other Ryu's (w/out Wyrm, obviously), he's not a bad dueler necessarily.

Nina: The 13 year old mute lab project that Ryu rescues after being separated from Bosch. On the verge of dying from the Atmosphere, she ends up being what drives Ryu to get to the Surface (go figure)...and is probably the only Nina to not actually fall in love with Ryu, but more so look up to him as an older brother >_>

Stats:
HP- 290
Attack- 94 (o_0)
Defense- 104 (0_0...same as Lin's)
Magic: 148
Speed: 92

Weapons:
Wizard Wand: Magic +60, Weight 5
Abilities: *Flare, 2 Level 1's, 3 Level 2's, 3 level 3s.
Slapper: Attack +45, Weight 2, -25% accuracy
Abilities: *Chop
Demon Scythe: Magic +32, Weight 15
Abilities: *Death, *Frost, 2 Level 1s, 2 Level 2s

Shields:
Astral Loop: 0 Defense, 0 Weight, Reduces Magic Damage by 50%, lowers Max AP by 20
Solid Loop: 0 Defense, 0 Weight, Reduces Physical damage by 50%, Lowers Max AP by 20
Bari Ring: 0 Defense, 0 Weight, Reduces ALL damage by 25%, Lowers Max AP by 15
Platinum Arc: Defense +24, Weight 1
Soul Ring: 0 Defense, 0 Weight, Reduces all damage based on Current HP, lower HP = Lower damage (I think its based off HP%, meaning at 1% HP, you take 1% Damage, and at full HP, you get no reduction), Reduces AP by 15% (NOT 15 Raw AP)

Armor:
Divine Coat: Defense +8, Immunity to all status (including Instant Death)
Heavy Robe: +30 Defense
Angel Coat: Defense +10, Lowers Status Effect changes by 75% (including Instant Death)
NOTE: Like Ryu, Nina can opt for the Elemental Protection stuff too.

Abilities:
NOTE: Personally, I'm not gonna bother with Traps. They are a pain to interpret exactly how they work, and probably not that worth it...
NOTE2: Like most games, magic doesn't miss in BoF5, at least damage ones. Take this as you will

Level 1s:
Chop: 25 damage, Physical (her only physical attack, the rest are Magical), Slapper only
Flare: 30 Fire elemental Damage
Frost: 30 Ice elemental Damage
Jolt: 30 Lightning Elemental Damage
Enfeeble: Lowers Magic Power/Defense by 10%, Stackable
Slow: Reduces speed by 10%, Stackable
Blunt: Reduces attack by 10%, stackable

Level 2s:
Fireblast: 80 Fire elemental damage
Lightning: 80 Lightning Elemental Damage
Iceblast: 80 Ice elemental damage

Level 3s:
Inferno: 110 Fire elemental damage
Vallhalla: 110 Lightning elemental damage
Blizzard: 110 Ice Elemental damage
Lag Vahalla: 220 Lightning Elemental Damage, used at end of turn (I consider this a charge time, one that works like FFTs (doesn't effect the actual CT gauge, IOWs, since Nina still goes the same time she normally would))
Death: Instant Death (guessing 50% Success Rate, its hard to find enemies NOT immune (no "Guard" symbol comes up))
Ragnarok: 1200 damage, 3 turns to Charge (including the first), used at end of the 3rd turn
NOTE: It works like this. She starts the spell, the Number "2" appears on the enemy. At the end of the turn, it goes down by 1. At the end of the turn AFTER it reaches 0 (So it'd be going to -1 IOW), the attack is pulled off. I call it a 3 turn charge time, but take this as you will

Evaluation: Contrary to belief, Nina is NOT OHKO fodder. At the beginning of the game, she feels it cause she starts at level 1, when Ryu is already level 10, and enemies in BoF5 have on crack damage (Ryu level 10 will struggle to take hits, mind you) Her base defense is equal to Lin's, and her armor isn't that much worse. Really, the only bad part of her defense is HP, which is no worse than a Typical Mage. All things considered Nina does not die to a Sneeze, and with her Magic stat, she laughs at Magical attacks too, albeit, she's no tank. Top that off with Passable damage, High Speed, and some instant Death, and Nina's set.

Lin: the Trinity member who meets Ryu by accident, causing some hostility, but ultimately settle their differences really early on when they discover both just want to protect Nina, and in the end, sticks with him in his quest to find "the Sky" She also carries a gun *rolls eyes*

Stats:
HP- 401
Attack- 111
Defense- 104
Magic- 129
Speed- 65

Weapons:
NOTE: Given Lin's weapon and her obscene Range (and all her attacks are classified as "Shot"), I consider her attacks Long Ranged, meaning they can hit things like Sephiroth while Flying and such. Disagree if you will, but that's just my oppinion.
Grenade: Attack +40, Weight 3, Accuraccy -10%
Abilities: *Hey, Hey!, 2 Level 1s, 3 Level 2s, 3 Level 3s
Sniper Scope: Attack +26, Accurracy +50%, Weight 13
Abilities: *There!, *That's it!, 3 Level 3's.

Shields:
Astral Bangle: 0 Defense, 0 Weight, Reduces Magic Damage by 50%, lowers Max AP by 20
Solid Bangle: 0 Defense, 0 Weight, Reduces Physical damage by 50%, Lowers Max AP by 20
Bari Ribbon: 0 Defense, 0 Weight, Reduces ALL damage by 25%, Lowers Max AP by 15
Lightwave: Defense +24, Weight 1
Soul Ribbon: 0 Defense, 0 Weight, Reduces all damage based on Current HP, lower HP = Lower damage, Reduces AP by 15% (NOT 15 Raw AP)

Armors:
Save the Queen: Defense +10, Immunity to all status effects (including Instant Death)
Heavy Garter: Defense +32
PrincessGuard: Defense +12, Reduces likely hood of Status effects by 75% (includes Instant Death)

Abilities:
NOTE: Lin is being done in the same way as Ryu. After I get her basics done though, I'm listing her "Combos" since that's one of Lin's main aspects.
Basic Damage: 40 (with Grenade. This should be lower with Sniper Scope)

Level 1s:
Hey, Hey!: 100%, adds effects to Successive Attacks
How's That!: 100%, lowers stat depending on preceding attack
There!: 70%, adds Weight into Critical Hit
Too Slow!: 70%, Adds Weight into Accuracy
Greetings: 75%, Feint Attack (Don't know what that means)
C'mere!: Pulls Enemy closer to her (there's a use for this later on)

Level 2s:
That's it!: 130%, Adds affects to successive attacks
Go On!: 100%, Can not kill user (Ryu's Blade smack does the same, but Lin's has use that will be mentioned Later)
Stay Here!: 110%, Reduces Enemies Move Power (I don't consider Move a factor, unless fighting smeone like an FFT Character w/ Move *Shrugs*)
Kidding!: Either Misses or has Reverse Effect (Don't know what this does since I never saw it succeed alone, but it has uses to be named later)
Outta My Way: 100%, "Hit Back" Shot (interpret that as you will)
Take this!: 60%, ignores enemies defense (Will list actual damage later)
Keep At It!: 120% damage, Penetrating
NOTE: Penetrating means it ignores Damage reduction, basically, BoF5's version of Piercing (FFX)

Level 3s:
Blow Up!: 150%, Hits a WIDE Area (meaning I consider it MT for RPGmon)
Shatter!: Closer you are, the more damage you deal
NOTE: At about "Point Blank" Range, it does 175 Damage to Elyon. If you consider someone "Always in range" then I can see letting that be the damage *shrugs*
Lets Dance!: 150%, hits a Wide Area (See Blow Up! Basically, this is good for making one stronger, since they are otherwise the same move, different area affects)
A present: Not sure what this does alone, so I'll assume its meant for combos and nothing else...In a combo, it mimics the last attack used, even Combo moves (Moves shown in "Blue" instead of White)
Drop Dead!: 60%, Ignores Defense (NOTE: This might be off, since I never got it, basing it off a FAQ)

Combos (listing AP needed to pull off attack afterwords):
Attack Down -- Hey hey! + How's that? (20 AP)
Defense Down -- There! + How's that? (20 AP)
Speed Down -- Too Slow! + How's that? (20 AP)
Draw in -- Hey hey! + C'mere! (20 AP)
Draw in (2) -- There! + C'mere! (20 AP)
Improved Draw in -- Outta my way! + Kidding! (40 AP)
NOTE: Not sure how to interpret "Drawing in" beynd Raising Shatter!'s damage *shrugs*
Null -- That's It! + Stay Here! (30 AP)
Death -- Go on! + Kidding! (40 AP)
NOTE: All those are Damage + Status, Death is basically Lin's version of Great Smash. Null Status is effectivly Stop.
Improved Take this! -- There! + Take this!
Improved Keep At It! -- That's it! + Keep at it! (40 AP)
Improved Shatter! -- That's it! + Shatter!! (50 AP)
Improved Drop Dead! -- That's it! + Drop dead! (50 AP)
NOTE: Beyond Shatter!, these damage combos are just for show. Improved Shatter does about 150% the damage it normally does, and its always at least Shatter +10%, so...yeah, it HURTS
Super Shatter -- Hey hey! + C'mere! + That's it! + Shatter!! + A present (100 AP)
NOTE: This full combo does somewhere around 700 damage.

Evaluation: Lin has decent staying Power outside of her suspect Magic Defense, having good HP, and alright Defense (Defense really doesn't show that much in game, for the record) Her damage is pretty decent as well. Her main greatness though comes from her status effects, having Instant Death and Stop (I could ahve sworn she had more though...), and she can Lower Stats as well, which is nice (not sure the Percentage. Game doesn't list what combos do, unfortunately) Her lowish Speed holds her back though, but to be honest, she's not a total slug, but she's still subpar.

Stat Comparisons:

HP:
Ryu (445) > Lin (401) > Nina (290)
Average: 378.6667

AP:
Ryu (90) = Lin (90) = Nina (90)
...ok, bad attempt at a joke, sorry >_>

Defense (before Equips):
Ryu (118) > Nina (104) = Lin (104)
Average: 108.6667

Defense (After equips)
W/ Status Protectioin Gear: Ryu (130) > Lin (114) > Nina (112)
W/ Defensive Gear: Ryu (152) > Lin (136) > Nina (134)
Average Status Defense: 118.6667
Average Defensive Defense: 140.6667

NOTE: Since Shields are all the same ni terms of stats, I just nixed them entirely, especially since most just give 0 to Defense anyway, being Damage Reducers.

Agility (before Equips):
Nina (92) > Ryu (73) > Lin (65)
Average: 76.7

Agility (after equips)
NOTE: Assume Ryu has dragon Blade, Nina Wizard Wand, and Lin Grenade
Nina (87) > Ryu (71) > Lin (62)
Average: 73.333...

Magic (before Equips):
Nina (148) > Lin (129) > Ryu (102)
Average: 126.3333...

Magic (After Equips)
NOTE: Assumed Weapons are Wizard Wand, Dragon Blade, and Grenade Respectivly
Nina (208) > Ryu (152) > Lin (129)
Average: 163

AVERAGE DAMAGE BASED ON OK'S NUMBERS A FEW POSTS DOWN: 499

I take these averages with a Grain of Salt. As you can see, BoF5 is living proof that just cause you are high enough to make the others in your cast unable to break Average, doesn't mean your godly in the stat. BoF5 is very specific on character use, so to speak. Basically, one character dominates in a stat (kind of) while the others are kind of close, that, or 2 characters do well in a stat while the 3rd just plain sucks royally at it to give you the hint that they aren't meant for that task (Nina's HP is a prime Example) yeah, BoF5 is a game where everyone has a defined use, the battle system makes that Clear (Ryu = Close Range Meat Shield Fighter, Lin = Long Range Fighter, Nina = Mage, right off the bat >_>)

With that, the first attempt at this topic is done. Boss stats coming in next post.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 06:03:29 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter (Full)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 07:06:34 PM »
Time for Bosses. This is only the Regents, and the damage listed is against more so end game PCs, mind, again, the HP listed in the topic is at a bit above end game levels, so OHKO damage to an average PC is a bit lower, so take some of these with a grain of salt.

NOTE: Quotes are things I'm making up based on what they say, and just cause I'm bored >.>
NOTE 2: There is various random in depth stuff for bosses that...well...would take a while to edit all of it into.  In any event, if what you are looking for isn't QUITE here, check the next post, as there's some more info regarding stuff and corrections to here I might not have factored in.

EDIT:
Zeno
Stats From Elfboy, hence why the format is different or something!

HP: 1600
AP: 40 (four attacks if she doesn't have to move)
Defence: Average to a bit below. Not sure exactly.
MDef: Noticeably above average, takes about 20% less than is normal.
Speed: 46 (above average to me)

My party:

Level 18 after Asimov - I have about 4000 unused Event Exp, i.e. I've been saving some but not all of it. If I used it all I could get everyone to L19, I think. I tend to fight most enemies, but by no means all. Take this as you will.

Averages:
HP: 199 (Ryu 230, Lin 207, Nina 160)
Speed: 41 (Nina 51, Ryu 40, Lin 33)
Defence: 72 (Ryu 75, Lin 74, Nina 66)
Offence: 87 (Nina's Magic 98, Ryu's Attack 82, Lin's Attack 82)

I personally take Zeno against Phys-25% equips (I think), though I'll show the numbers both ways. Average damage against non-Zeno folks is probably around 180 (bit lower against Zeno due to the MDef).

Disclaimer: Damage numbers are estimates based on the average of figures against all three of my PCs.

Attack (10 AP): 26 (20) physical damage
Twin Scratch (10 AP): 2x26 = 52 (2x20 = 40) physical damage

Last Resort (40 AP): Doubles Zeno's damage and gives her a block rate of about 70-75% for the rest of the battle. Blocking can happen against any kind of damage (I think?) and causes it to be reduced by half.

After Last Resort:

Attack (10 AP): 52 (40) physical damage
Twin Scratch (10 AP): 2x52 = 104 (2x39 = 78) physical damage
Violet Death (10 AP): 10 + 94 = 104 (8 + 70 = 78) physical damage, hits a spread

She uses Last Resort when you either kill her support or drop her below half HP. Although this might just be an AI thing. (She says something along the lines of "The power of the dragon... it must be stopped" before using it.) Use your own judgement, I suppose.

Along the lines of points of judgement... if Zeno can be forced to move even a little, she will only get three attacks a turn, instead of four. Again, take this as you will.

Comments: BoF5 bosses are DL headaches, and Zeno's no exception. Still... mmm. Don't think I really hold Wyrm against her. She still only comes out a bit above average PC HP the way I scale, but her damage is good even before Last Resort (she's a fine slugfest boss even under the harshest of interpretations), and after Last Resort she's just a monster. Haven't decided exactly how I specifically view her yet, but she strikes me as a reasonably strong Heavy.

Deamond: "You must beat me to get my respect, Ha Ha!"
HP: 3800
Absolute Defense: 200
Defense: Average
Magic Defense: Above Average
Speed: Slower than Lin
AP: 20

Attacks:
Multi Attack: 150 damage, Level 1
Spirit Charge: Next attack does 50% more damage, Level 2
Fatal Blow: 75% chance of HP -> 1, 120 damage on Failure, Level 1
Meta Impact: 160 damage, two hits, level 2, has KNock Back affect.
Stun Gun: 90 damage, adds Stun Status, Level 1

Note: Any of these moves can be comboed, fi desired

Evaluation: Deamond is pretty good. He has HP -> 1, good HP, and Absolute Defense makes him a pain to kill. His speed is a bit suspect though. His Spirit Charge makes him good too. He's probably a good enough to hover around the Heavy/God Like Border.

Hortensia: "My vision tells me it is your fate to lose."
HP: 3500
Absolute Defense: 275
Magic Defense: Average
Takes 150% Damage from Ice, take 75% Damage from Fire
AP: 30

Abilities:
Frost: 200 damage, Ice elemental, Level 1
Flare: 200 Damage, Fire elemental, Level 1
Jolt: 200 damage, Lightning Elemental, level 1
NOTE: Hortensia, like other enemies in BoF5, cheats, in that she can combo her own spells together, doing a combo of, say, Frost -> Frost +10% -> Frost +20%. Hence, she really does 330% those listed damages a turn. (100% on first hit, 110% 2nd hit, and 120% 3rd hit)
Enfeeble: Lowers Magic Power and Defense, Level 1, 50% hit rate
Fortune: Changes the color of the Ground. If White, person is fully healed at end of turn, if Black, Person takes CHP/2 damage. Whether you allow her to do this or not is up to you. Costs no AP

Evaluation: Well, if you let Hortensia's Fortune work, she becomes a fun dueler, if not...well, she's basically an ubered Mage Boss. 275 Absolute Defense is NICE, only outdone by Vexacion and Elyon. However, one thing that holds her back is her only lethal damage is Fire and Ice elementals, 2 elements that are often blocked(Haven't seen her Use Jolt, but it wouldn't suprise me if she had it) If she had some sort of Non elemental damage, I'd say she'd be a pretty mean dueler, but as it stands, she's stuck as a High Heavy

Jezuit: "I bet you anything I'll win this match"
HP: 3600
Absolute Defense: 50
Defense: Stupidly high
Magic Defense: High, but not as stupidly so
Speed: Faster than Wyrm (O_O)

Abilities:
Pre Primus: Lowers HP by 1/4, 100% success rate, Level 1
Shadow Walk: Become invincible for 3 turns, Level 3
NOTE: When he becomes invinicible, the game acts as though he can't even be targeted. Whehter you allow this to be dispellable or not is up to you, since its not a case of not hurting him, rather, you can't even TARGET him *Shrugs*
Back Flip: 135 Damage, Physical, Level 1
Stun Gun: 70 Damage, Causes Paralysis, Level 1
Primus: Lowerse HP by 1/2, Level 2
Poison: 45 Damage, Adds Poison, Level 1

Evaluation: Holy Invincibility Batman. Jezuit is cheapness personified. There is not a better term for him than "Ubered Berle" He can LITERALLY use Shadowwalk whenever he wants (when testing, he used it on Turn 1 (he always opens with Shadowwalk), Turn 4 and Turn 7, meaning it wasn't til Turn 10 that I could Damage him!), and with his inniative, unless we give him sort of Restriction, he can never be hit. His damage is kind of lowish, but Shadowwalk's cheapness is just evil. his Defenses are nothing to scoff at. Despite his pitiful 50 Absolute Defense (that's REALLY bad compared to the other Regents), only Elyon's falls slower thanks to Jezuit's obnoxious defense. No questions asked, he's a God Like and winning too.

Cupid: "I've been waiting for you..."
HP: 3200
Absolute Defense: 225
Speed: Faster than Ryu, slower than Nina

Abilities:
Blizzard: 220 Ice Damage, Level 3

Evaluation: ...HA HA HA HA! Cupid Sucks utter ass. The kids Damage is is 2HKO level, and the speed is only marginally above Average. Anybody with Ice Immunity COMPLETELY kill him/her (I can't tell what Cupid is...I'll say he frmo now on, I guess). The HP is Alright, and teh Aboslute Defense makes it go down slower, but...the damage isn't there, especially for high magic Defense people. Some might allowher Oncotte, which gives her some physical damage, but I personally do not, going under the "Multi part" Boss rule (if she summoned it to battle, that'd be a different thing) To be blunt, Cupid is to the Regents as Sara is the Dragon Clan. I'd say he's worse, but his damage begs to differ so I give him a Middle/Heavy

Vexacion: "Show me what you got, Dragon Boy!" (see, he has more in common with Ghaleon than you thought >.>)
HP: 4200
Absolute Defense: 275
Magic Defense: Above Average

Moves:
"Gahter AP": Lets him use 2x the amount of attacks the next turn as the previous one
Quint Wake: 550 damage spread amongst 5 hits, physical, Level 3, Unblockable
Snake Bite: 100 damage, causes Poison Status, Level 1
Lion Smash: 120 damage, Lowers Defense, 80% hit rate, Level 2

Evaluation: Vexacion is a really strong dueler. His Damage slaughters PCs, and is quite respectable too. His Absolute Defense is solid as well, and his HP is only beaten by Elyon and D-bosch afterwords. In the end, looking at him, he ends up being the fighter Version of Ghaleon, being slow, relying on his high Durability to save him, and having respectable physical damage. He's a dueler, and not one many Godlikes want to fight either, especially since unlike Ghaleon, he's isn't cheezed out Dispel, his one flaw being he gets beaten by anybody with Pure Physical immunity *Waves Hi to Celes and Shadow*

Elyon: "I have sealed away the Sky, and thus, your fate"
HP: 6000
Absolute Defense: 350
Defense: Above Average
Speed: Faster than Wyrm (O_O)
AP: 20

Attacks:
Alter Ego: Creates 2 clones of himself, level 2
Jolt: 100 lightning damage, Level 1
Penta Strike: 200 physical damage, level 2
Lighting: 170, level 2
Karma Circle: Fate storm level damage (I've seen between 7000 and 8500, some said they' seen it break 10,000), takes 3 turns to charge, must be used alone
Sledge Hammer: 140 physical damage, Level 1
Primus: Halves Current HP, Level 2

Alter Egos stats:
HP: 2500
Absolute Defense: 0
AP: 40

Abilities:
Sledge Hammer: 140 physical damage, 50% hit rate, Level 1
Penta Stroke: 200 damage, Level 2
Jolt: 100 damage, Level 1
Ligthing: 170, Level 2
Vahalla: 200, Level 3

Evaluation: Dear...GOD! Elyon is just...scary. First off, he can use Alter Ego with his obscene speed to go first and get 2 more less durable Allies on his side, effectivly trippling his damage. Next, he has both game best HP AND Absolute Defense, and his damage is nothing short of bad (Pentastroke 2HKOs most, and with his Alter Egos, he can use is *5* times a turn) And then there's Karma Circle, the attack that, well, is the only thing that compares to EBC Fate Storm in power. Should Elyon manage to strike someone with this, chances are they die. To be blunt, Combine Zophar, Ghaleon, and someone with the ability to clone themselves, and you have Elyon. Even though this is wishful thinking, should he ever get in, he'll scare God Like quite badly, and I mean VERY much scare.

Bosch: "I am the greatest, ph34r me!" (Ok, thats exaggerrating Bosch, but I can imagine im saying something like that...or just change that line with something that is VERY similar to Vegita's complaining about Goku >_>)
Human Form:
HP: 2400
Absolute Defense: 100
Defense: Good (about 1/3 damage reduction)
Magic Defense: Good (see above)
Speed: Slower than Ryu, faster than Lin
AP: 60

Abilities:
Snake Bite: 120 Damage, Add Poison, Level 1
Twin Wake: 180 damage, Lowers Defense, Level 2
Lion Smash: 150 damage, Lowers Defense, -20% Accurracy, level 2
Primus: Halves current HP, Level 2
Blizzard: 160 damage, Ice elemental, magical, level 3
Hundred Gears: 100 Set damage, Causes "Null" Status, level 2.
Tri Wake: 300 damage, Lowers Defense, Level 3
Dragon Slayer: I've haven't seen this, but I know he has it, so I don't have damage values

Dragon Form:
HP: 5000
Absolute Defense: 0
AP: 60

Abilities:
Vortex: 120, Level 1, Physical
Hurricane: 120, Level 2, Physical
Twister: 360, Level 3, Physical
Quake: 300, Level 3, Magical
Malefactor: Hits you with Bind, Null, AP Sealed, Virus, and Poison status

Evaluation: Bosch's 2 forms are pretty strong. His First form lacks HP, but high defense and absolute defense makes up for that, and his damage is nothign short of bad, thjough his speed's a bit shakey, albeit, not as bad as Deamond or Vexacion. Being able to mix it up between magic and physicals means he can't be cheesed out by Magic Immunity, or physical immunity. HIs Dragon form has far better damage, much higher HP, but has HORRIBLE speed (I gave Lin a VERY heavy set up, and he still went last), which could hold him back. Now, his Dragon form has something called "Dragonized State" where he can't get hurt by anything besides attacks made by Wyrm, however, once Wyrm does an attack on him (even a 0.01% D-breath), it shatters for a turn, and lets Nina and Lin, as well as HUMAN Ryu do damage to him. Personally, I discount that factor, and treat his Dragonized state as permanatly Broken, otherwise, we get a nearly unbeatable Boss of whom only Dragons and Dragon Slayers can beat, which needless to say, is Obnoxious. W/out that one, he becomes a slow offensive powerhouse with high HP, which is good enough for Godlike
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 04:20:32 AM by Meeplelard »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter (Full)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 04:18:41 AM »
Actual damage estimates by OK based on my info!  These aren't exact, but they're close enough, etc.

Since at some point, people had questioned about actual numbers instead of multipliers...this is for the lazy. Just punched out the numbers for attacks in terms of non-%, so people have actual numbers to look at. Default weapon assumed.

Ryu

Level 1:
Slice: 50 damage, 100% accuracy
Side Slash: 40 damage
Thrust: 40 damage, Ignores Defense
Third Eye: Boosts Accurracy to 255% for next attack
Ogre Slice: 50 damage (75 on critical), accurracy -50%, Causes Critical hit 75% of the time
Dent Weapon: 40 damage, Lowers persons attack power by 5%, Stackable
Rust Armor: 40 damage, Lowers Persons defense by 5%, Stackable
Brainquake: 40 damage, Lowers persons Magic Power and Defense by 5%, Stackable

Level 2:
Vert Slash: 65 damage, -20% Accurracy
Fang: 65, Ignores Defense
Haze Cut: 60 damage, Accurracy +50%
Spirit Charge: Raises damage of next turn by 150%, not stackable
Wild Swing: Random Damage between 50% (25 damage) to 200% (100 damage)
Discharge: Records Damage done to Ryu, and hits them back with the damage he took over time. Should be noted that it records damage BEFORE the Damage Reduction via Shields, meaning if he uses one of those, he actually does 2x the damage he takes (noticed when Ryu only took 300 damage, he did over 600 to Elyon...)
Reversal: Varying Damage based on HP. Not sure how it works, but I don't think its a simple Max HP - Current HP attack *Shrugs* Probably is that, though, just not ITD...
Skullsplit: 63 damage, deals damage to enemies AP
Crimson Raid: 50 damage, Heals Ryu by 5 HP

Level 3:
Terabreak: 120 damage, Ignores Defense
Death Bringer: 138 damage, 100% chance of Critical (already factored in)
Great Smash: INstant Death on success (about 50%), 50 damage on failure
Deathcleaver: 100 damage, deals 10 back to Ryu

Ideal Combo Damage: 504 (Side Slash-Thrust-Slicex7)

Wyrm Abilities (Prepare to be Awed):
Wyrm has about a 400% initial power increase, meaning his attacks do about 400% damage as is...
NOTE: None of Wyrm's attacks are Chainable
Vortex: 400 damage, Level 1 attack, +1.25% D-counter
HUrriance: 400 damage, level 2 attack, +1.5% D-counter
Twister: 1200 Damage, Level 3 attack, +1.75% D-counter
D-breath: Does damage based on how long you hold the "X" button down, raises D-counter proportionatly.
D-charge: Doubles Ryu's power, stackable 10x (o.o), each use increases D-counter by 2%

Nina:

Level 1:
Chop: 25 damage, Physical (her only physical attack, the rest are Magical), Slapper only
Flare: 30 Fire elemental Damage
Frost: 30 Ice elemental Damage
Jolt: 30 Lightning Elemental Damage
Enfeeble: Lowers Magic Power/Defense by 10%, Stackable
Slow: Reduces speed by 10%, Stackable

Level 2:
Fireblast: 80 Fire elemental damage
Lightning: 80 Lightning Elemental Damage
Iceblast: 80 Ice elemental damage

Level 3:
Inferno: 110 Fire elemental damage
Vallhalla: 110 Lightning elemental damage
Blizzard: 110 Ice Elemental damage
Lag Vahalla: 220 Lightning Elemental Damage, used at end of turn (I consider this a charge time, one that works like FFTs (doesn't effect the actual CT gauge, IOWs, since Nina still goes the same time she normally would))
Death: Instant Death (guessing 50% Success Rate, its hard to find enemies NOT immune (no "Guard" symbol comes up))
Ragnoark: 1200 damage, 3 turns to Charge (including the first), used at end of the 3rd turn
NOTE: It works like this. She starts the spell, the Number "2" appears on the enemy. At the end of the turn, it goes down by 1. At the end of the turn AFTER it reaches 0 (So it'd be going to -1 IOW), the attack is pulled off. I call it a 3 turn charge time, but take this as you will

Ideal Combo Damage: 459 (Flare-Frost-Jolt-Lightning-Fireblast-Iceblast)

Lin:

Level 1:
Hey, Hey!: 40 damage, adds effects to Successive Attacks
How's That!: 40 damage, lowers a stat depending on preceding attack
There!: 28 damage, adds Weight into Critical Hit
Too Slow!: 28 damage, Adds Weight into Accurracy
Greetings: 30 damage, Feint Attack (Don't know what that means)
C'mere!: Pulls Enemy closer to her (there's a use for this later on)

Level 2:
That's it!: 52 damage, Adds effects to successive attacks
Go On!: 40 damage, Can not kill target
Stay Here!: 44 damage, Reduces Enemy Move
Kidding!: Either Misses or has Reverse Effect (Don't know what this does since I never saw it succeed alone, but it has uses to be named later)
Outta My Way: 40 damage, "Hit Back" Shot (interpret that as you will)
Take this!: 24 damage, ignores enemies defense (Will list actual damage later)
Keep At It!: 48 damage, Penetrating
NOTE: Penetrating means it ignores Damage reduction, basically, BoF5's version of Piercing (FFX)

Level 3s:
Blow Up!: 60 damage, Hits a WIDE Area (meaning I consider it MT for RPGmon)
Shatter!: Closer you are, the more damage you deal
NOTE: At about "Point Blank" Range, it does 175 Damage to Elyon. If you consider someone "Always in range" then I can see letting that be the damage *shrugs*
Lets Dance!: 60 damage, hits a Wide Area (See Blow Up! Basically, this is good for making one stronger, since they are otherwise the same move, differnet area affects)
A present: Not sure what this does alone, so I'll assume its meant for combos and nothing else...In a combo, it mimics the last attack used, even Combo moves (Moves shown in "Blue" instead of White)
Drop Dead!: 24 damage, Ignores Defense (NOTE: This might be off, since I never got it, basing it off a FAQ)

Ideal Close Combo Damage: 535 (Hey Hey-That's It-Shatter-A Present)

Ideal Ranged Combo Damage: 410 (Greetings-How's That-Hey Heyx7)

Combos (listing AP needed to pull off attack afterwords):
Attack Down -- Hey hey! + How's that? (20 AP)
Defense Down -- There! + How's that? (20 AP)
Speed Down -- Too Slow! + How's that? (20 AP)
Draw in -- Hey hey! + C'mere! (20 AP)
Draw in (2) -- There! + C'mere! (20 AP)
Improved Draw in -- Outta my way! + Kidding! (40 AP)
NOTE: Not sure how to interpret "Drawing in" beynd Raising Shatter!'s damage *shrugs*
Null -- That's It! + Stay Here! (30 AP)
Death -- Go on! + Kidding! (40 AP)
NOTE: All those are Damage + Status, Death is basically Lin's version of Great Smash. Null Status is effectivly Stop.
Improved Take this! -- There! + Take this!
Improved Keep At It! -- That's it! + Keep at it! (40 AP)
Improved Shatter! -- That's it! + Shatter!! (50 AP)
Improved Drop Dead! -- That's it! + Drop dead! (50 AP)
NOTE: Beyond Shatter!, these damgae combos are just for show. Improved Shatter does about 150% the damage it normally does, and its always at least Shatter +10%, so...yeah, it HURTS
Super Shatter -- Hey hey! + C'mere! + That's it! + Shatter!! + A present (100 AP)
NOTE: This full combo does somewhere around 700 damage.

END OF OK

Random AP info by Monkey!

Some more stuff on the bosses...

In addition to having max AP values, Split Infinity's FAQ lists all of them except Cupid with a [Can attack X times per turn] stat as part of their movelist. Could this be a separate cap on how many times they can attack per turn? This would mean, as far as I can tell, that in some of their cases, some of their AP can be used only for movement. I could also be just totally misinterpreting what he means by these. It stands out to me that where he places this stat on the movelist seems totally arbitrary. It's like there isn't a pattern.

I'll list the max AP values and attack caps here for now. I plan on starting a replay, so I'll say if I ever see a boss violate his or her listed cap. Elfboy can do same.

Zeno: 40 AP, 4 attacks (so she checks out so far)
Tantra1: 60 AP, 4 attacks
Deegon Tantra: 40 AP, 3 attacks
Geegagis Tantra: 40 AP, 4 attacks
Full Tantra: 40 AP, 4 attacks
Rebuilt Bosch: 40 AP, 6 attacks (O_o. I don't get the point of this... unless maybe bosses can charge AP the same way PCs can?)
Deamond: 40 AP, 3 attacks
Cupid: 40 AP, no cap
Jezuit: 50 AP, 4 attacks
Vexacion: 40 AP, 2 attacks
Hortensia: 40 AP, 3 attacks
Elyon: 40 AP, 2 attacks
Alter Egos: 40 AP, 2 attacks
Regent Bosch: 50 AP, 2 attacks
D-Bosch: 50 AP, 3 attacks
DOVER!!!!111: 50 AP, 2 attacks

Other things:

Vexacion's speed is 10. Fear.

Regent Bosch can't use Tri Wake until he uses an ability called "Bosch glares", which either can't be activiated until Bosch is under half HP or brings Bosch down to half HP as a side effect. I can't tell which because, as I doubt it's hard to figure out, SI fails really, really badly at wording stuff.

END OF MONKEY

Other Miscellaneous Info by the one named Elfboy!

All right, I'm just starting to scratch the surface, but I'm working out how BoF5 physical damage works all the same. Specifically, the basic attacks Slice and Hey Hey!, which are the standard, 100% damage moves.

It's painfully simple, really.

(Attack - Defence) * Enemy's Resistance

Now, if you're familiar with BoF3-4, you know roughly how resistance works. BoF5 seems to work the same way, so I'll use its conventions for now:

0 = 200%
1 = 150%
2 = 100%
3 = 75%
4 = 50%
5 = 25%
6 = 0
7 = absorbed

Curiously, though, the large majority of endgame enemies have resistance to physicals of 3. I'd treat that as average.

Ryu and Lin usually face the same resistance check, but there are rare exceptions. For instance, the Mahadevan (big flying enemies on floor 2 of Centre) have the stand 3 for Ryu's physicals, but a 2 against Lin's. Again, I'm reminded of BoF4, with its resistances to Melee and Ranged.

Random variance seems to be about +/- 10%.

Now, interestingly, criticals just seem to raise attack. My guess is by 50% or so, but I haven't really tested. This raise happens before defence so it's basically defence ignoring, but it still gets smacked around by resistance. I haven't yet tested if techs besides Slice and Hey Hey! modify Attack or final damage, but I suspect it's the former. Does this mean physical resistance matters more than defence? You bet!

Boss notes:

Sadly I don't have a save before any of the DL bosses, so I couldn't test them. Well, unless you count Final Bosch (I don't <_<). However, here's the stuff on the Centre bosses, along with my usual editorial comments:

Average for Centre: 67 Defence, 3 in physicals

Cupid: 88 Defence, 3 in physicals - Yeah, this is pretty above average. How much is up to you.

Hortensia: 74 Defence, 4 in physicals - This is scary, especially paired with the Absolutely Defence. Hortensia has effective 390 AD vs. physicals, on top of slightly above average base defence and that resistance... damaging her physically is very difficult as a result. 'Cept with Wyrm. <_<

Vexacion: 52 Defence, 3 in physicals - This sucks. He's lucky he has AD and HP, but they still don't save him from being the physically frailest Centre boss by a ways IMO. Hell, even the oft-maligned Regent Bosch owns his dad at soaking physical beats.

Jezuit: 115 Defence, 4 in physicals - Yeah, he kinda mocks physicals a fair bit. Good thing his AD is so low.

Elyon: 80 Defence, 3 in physicals - Above average on paper, but eh, your power rises a fair bit with final equips and the likes. Probably around average to me.

Regent Bosch: 110 Defence, 4 in physicals - Yep, Bosch is a defence over HP boss and it shows. His raw physical reduction surpasses Hortensia's (unless you see a really big post-Centre damage spike), but with only 100 base AD and 2400 HP to play with he can't take full advantage of these stats.

D-Bosch: Dunno, SI doesn't list his stats. Probably because he's a PLOT FIGHT. <_< >_> Ahem.

Anyway, more testing to come when I'm not lazy. If someone has a save before Zeno/Rebuilt Bosch/Deamoned, it would be cool to know their resistances, and they should be easy to test with the info I've given.

END OF ELFBOY

...or is it? Not really, cause I have...MORE ELFBOY NONSENSE!

Jezuit notes added. Yeah, 4 in physicals like I thought.

Attack multipliers affect attack before defence. This means that, say, Hazecut, with a mult of 120%, will do (1.2xAtk - Def) * 75% to an enemy with 3 in physicals. This also means that attacks with stronger multipliers are better at piercing defences. Hence, Slice wins for Ryu's damage against low defence, but against high, attacks like Vertical Slash and Deathbringer are preferable.

Updated formula:

(AtkMult * Attack - Defence) * Resistance

Criticals cause attack to be raised by one third, another multiplier like AtkMult. The bonus is essentially defence ignoring, but not resistance ignoring, as I suspected. Some attacks always critical... they can essentially be taken as their listed multiplier * 4/3 (e.g. Deathbringer is 125%, auto-crit = 166.7%), near as I can tell. Dunno if criticals have special effects besides this.

One note is Shatter!, which actually seems to have a mult of 100%. However, it is exceptional in that it seems to multiply final damage. It's equivalent to an attack that hits several times, in that regard. I think it's either five or six at point blank, but I haven't formally tested (EDIT: Tested, it's 5). Presumably it drops to 1 at long range. Kickass attack, regardless.

END OF ELFBOY? NOPE! MORE ELFBOY TO COME!

More boss stuff

Observations not listed in Meep's notes

-Cupid has Shadowstitch (doubledigit damage + Bind), and Push (~160/120 and knockback). Both physical, making him the only regent but Elyon who can hit both defences.

-Hortensia does indeed have Jolt. Her resistances are based on what she is casting this round; she resists her own element by 25%, and is 50% weak to the element that beats her (Fire > Lightning > Ice > Fire in BoF5, as any seasoned Goo hunter knows).

-Vexacion has Last Resort, but near as I can tell his is bugged and doesn't do anything. No universal shield like Zeno, no increase in his damage.

-Vexacion can't save up AP with his 'store AP' command (or if he can, he still gets his turn ended by a single Quint Wake), but he seems to take a little less damage while it's in effect. Maybe a sort of defend command, which would make sense.

May edit more as I discover more.

Damage Chart

For now, here is a chart of each boss' optimum damage, combining my, Meep's and Monkey's notes. I assume that every boss loses at least 1 AP moving (this is easy to set up in-game, and helps keep damage sane in some cases, i.e. keeps Zeno from OHKOing pre-Last Resort to no resistance). I've listed each boss' damage in two ways; one to no resistance, and one to -25%. I personally lean towards considering the latter in the DL. Your mileage may vary.

Damage is given in the form:

Attacks used = Total damage (damage with -25%) / PC HP [percent damage to PC HP, with -25%]

Note: I haven't necessarily seen these exact combos, so if you're harsher on AI than me you may not allow some of them. Or I've just been unlucky. Regardless, all are possible on paper based on the bosses' AP and attack caps, and that's good enough for me.

Zeno: 40 AP, 4 attacks:
Optimum damage: Twin Scratch x 3 = 156 (117) / 199 [78%, 59%]
After Last Resort: Twin Scratch x 3 = 312 (234) / 199 [157%, 118%]

Rebuilt Bosch: 40 AP, 6? attacks (I'll assume maxed):
Optimum damage: Snake Bite x 3 = 280 (210) / 260 [108%, 81%]
EDIT: Gah, misread my own notes. Faaail. Corrected.

Deamoned: 40 AP, 3 attacks:
Optimum damage: Multi Attack x 3 = 450 (337) / 280 [160%, 120%]

Cupid: 40 AP, 1 attack:
Optimum damage: Blizzard = 220 (165) / 290 [76%, 57%]
Note: This damage seems a bit lower than what I remember, but whatever. Who cares, it's Cupid.

Jezuit: 50 AP, 4 attacks:
Optimum damage: Backflip x 4 = 520 (390) / 300 [173%, 130%]

Vexacion: 40 AP, 2 attacks:
Optimum damage: Quint Wake = 550 (412) / 300 [183%, 138%]
Without focussing: Snake Bite + Lion Smash = 220 (165) / 300 [73%, 55%]

Hortensia: 40 AP, 3 attacks:
Optimum damage: Fire/Frost/Jolt x 3 = 600 (450) / 290 [207%, 155%]

Elyon: 40 AP, 2 attacks:
Optimum damage: Pentastrike + Sledgehammer = 340 (255) / 310 [110%, 82%]
Optimum magic damage: Lightning + Jolt = 270 (202) / 310 [88%, 65%]
Note: Sledgehammer has noticeable accuracy issues. Jolt is 40 (30) damage less as a backup. Obviously, Elyon's optimum damage is Karma if he can take the time for it. Alter Egos have very similar damage (8 less Attack).

Regent Bosch: 50 AP, 2 attacks:
Optimum damage: Snake Bite -> Twin Wake + Snake Bite = 420 (315) / 320 [131%, 98%]

D-Bosch: 50 AP, 3 attacks:
Optimum damage: Twister + Vortex = 480 (360) / 320 [150%, 112%]