Author Topic: Madou Monogatori  (Read 1496 times)

Taishyr

Madou Monogatori
« on: August 28, 2008, 01:04:48 AM »
Snow's info lies herein.

Well, just for fun and non-ranked tournies, I've whipped up the stats for Arle Nadja, from the Super Famicom game Madou Monogatari. I haven't finished all my tests, though, so I may be altering things here and there later, as well as adding any useful notes. I will add some possible item recommendations later, but this setup I got is possibly the most useful all around.

Arle Nadja

Level: Kinda Scary
Strength: Five flowers (yes, THAT'S how the game quantifies stats. Frightening)
Defense: Five flowers
Speed: Five flowers

My Equipment:

Magic Staff Pici - Storebought at the Bazaar, 8000 cookies. Gives Arle the power to critical hits EVERY SINGLE TIME... with absolutely NO drawbacks. The biggest thing: it's not an obscure storebought either. You HAVE to visit the store where the staff is during the game... and gathering the 8000 cookies to buy the staff is far away from an ordeal (it's staggeringly easy to get ridiculous amounts of cookies in the game. Pity they cap out at 9999... but the game is easy to the point that buying items is rather pointless, so it's not like you're EVER getting strapped in cookies. And yes, the currency for the game is cookies. The cuteness of this game is rather brutal). So, this item is very much legal for DL standards, and it helps Arle SO much. It also doesn't break Arle unless paired with an item that is broken by itself, so I don't see any arguement against it.

Magic Ring Rele - Strengthens the Diacute spell, making it reach maximum power in only one cast - it does spend the amount of MP it usually would for casting it shot per shot until it peaks. It also ignores damage peaks for the spell (which will be explained later). This ring is found in a hole at the Dark Forest after you get the Shrinking item to get inside holes. It's kinda obscure, so I can see the reasoning for not allowing it (despite items in this game being easy as hell to get). That, and the fact that it REALLY makes Arle incredibly broken. Maxed Diacute+Bayoen combos are PURE EVIL: stacking maxed Bayoens one after another while still having two free turns to smash the enemy at will is ugly. If she has this equipped, the enemy essentially has to OHKO her or die horribly. This can be material for the Twink League, but I just left it noted for hilariousness purposes.

Well, let me give some notes: Power is the stat that grows the most and the most quickly. Defense is the one that raises the least and the slowest to raise. The difference between the three stats isn't very large, though (the largest difference between the highest and lowest tends to be of 1/5, 1/4 of a flower. When Arle reaches the level Kinda Scary, she's one level away from having five flowers on Defense. Interpret that as you will). When I did the tests, Arle had about five levels over Kinda Scary (which I don't consider overlevelled. The random encounter rate in the game is absolutely insane, and the randoms tend to be utterly sad - probably sadder than WA2 randoms, and bosses always give you a level when you beat them. I beat about four bosses right after I got to Kinda Scary). I will give my personal notes on Arle's damage, durability and speed.

Strength: If this is her highest stat, it CLEARLY doesn't show. Usually, Arle's damage is rather low - for most of midgame, she usually 6HKOs randoms - some of them are clear 8HKOs, even. At endgame, she usually 3HKOs or 4HKOs the strongest randoms. Her damage isn't puny bait per se, but it certainly isn't good - maybe not even good enough for Middle.... until you factor in the Pici Staff. Since critical hits essentially double her damage per hit, her attacks become much more deadly this way, and it tends to 2HKO randoms on midgame and OHKO them all but the Giant Puyo (the strongest normal enemy in the game) endgame. By the way, the Giant Puyo struggles to not be OHKOed by Arle's critical. I'll give an extra comment on bosses, though: even with the Pici Staff, they tend to resist quite a bit. 10HKOs are usual fare for the strongest bosses. Overall, her damage isn't very impressive. If at all.

Speed: Not too bad. Arle tends to go before most enemies (a good deal of bosses included. There are some bosses that ARE faster than Arle, though, along with a few random enemies) as long as she isn't underlevelled. She can be outsped consistently, though. I'd say her speed is overall average, maybe slightly above average DL-wise.

Durability: Well... sometimes, I feel they switched the growth stats for durability and strength. Arle's durability isn't bad at all, but I can't say if it isn't bad because she has good defenses or the enemies' damage utterly SUCKS (because the enemies in Madou Monogatari are incredibly sad). Her defense doesn't seem very high, granted, but she can still take a rather decent amount of punishment (yay for last bosses 4HKOs!). I'd say her defense is somewhat below average, but her HP being high. Of course, since she is in an one-character game, this ends up translating as overall average. It's not truly impressive, but, for a mage, it's surprisingly decent. By the way, there is no differentiation between physical and magical damage/defense in Madou Monogatari, since... well, Arle has NO physical attacks. Everything she uses is purely magical. Also, you will never meet more than one enemy per battle (they're essentially duels). So, there's no multitargeting either. The last one was just a random note.

MP Durability: ...... Arle has a gross surplus of MP. She has good amounts of shots in her spells, and a decent deal of them are absolutely for free (including one of her nastiest spells). If you want an idea, she has about ten more shots of her Healing spell than Billy has for his... and her Healing, unlike most Madou Monogatari games, is GOOD. You can be sure that MP isn't going to be a reason for Arle to lose duels... unless the enemy has good parasitic MP healing.

Spellset

Fire Level 4 -  Fire Spell. A rain of flaming meteors comes down on the foe under a fiery background. It costs no MP. See strength notes for damage. Also, Arle gets a 10% damage bonus for hitting a damage weakness. This applies for all attack spells.

Ice Storm Level 4 - Ice Spell. Arle summons a large snowball that goes under the enemy and turns into a pillar of ice energy where an Ice Damsel rises within. Costs no MP.

Thunder Level 4 - Thunder Spell. Arle summons a weird little thingy that plays drums and calls a lightning storm. Then, the thingy points its drumsticks towards the enemy and a HUGE thunder laser smacks the foe. Costs no MP.

Healing Level 4 - Healing Spell. A bunch of bluish lights involve Arle and heals her for about 70% of her HP and gives her auto-revive. It also has innitiative (i.e. Arle will ALWAYS be able to cast Healing before the enemy attacks). This is a NASTY spell. This costs a little MP (Arle has 48 shots of Healing if you count her MP total at the levels above. I've tested it).

Bayoen - Don't act Spell. A rain of flower petals fall, a trail of flowers reaches the foe and a flower circle ensnares the enemy, making him/her lose his action for the turn. It has innitiative - it means that Arle will ALWAYS act first when casting Bayoen, and this spell DOES NOT MISS. It hits absolutely every enemy in the game, ignoring overall defenses. It also can stack itself. It's possibly one of Arle's most annoying and cruel spells, especially when stacked with Diacute. It also costs NO MP. Oy.

Diacute Level 4 - Power up Spell. Arle powers herself up, calling a small orb of energy to her side. This spell is VERY nasty. With this, Arle essentially doubles the power of her next spell. But this isn't the fun part: the spell can be stacked up up to four times... so, any spell of Arle's can become 5x more powerful than usual... which is pretty much sure overkill bait... or worse. Heedon and Bayoen are spells that get the benefit from Diacute via extended duration. Each casting of Diacute makes Bayoen last one more turn, and it does the same to Heedon. This spell also has a sort of damage caps: usually, at level 4, she tends to fail casting Diacute a fourth time. I suspect this happens because of a damage caps that stops you from pointlessly overpowering the spell... which doesn't make a lot of difference. A 3x Diacuted Ice Storm still is OHKOing the final boss. This spell costs a little MP.

Jugem - Arle summons a HUGE explosion that drops the enemy to critical state... or would, if this spell actually worked consistently. I NEVER got Arle to pull off this magic even at high levels - she ALWAYS failed to cast it. It also can't KO enemies. This would have a lot of potential, but, with its hit rate, it's incredibly useless. Costs a LOT of MP, and it's the only spell that isn't affected by Diacute.

Heedon - Sleep Spell. A wave of little sheep come dancing in a pink background around the enemy. This has a rate of about 50% to work, and it doesn't work on bosses. The enemy sleeps for a minimum of two turns and maximum of three turns (no Diacute applied). The Diacute spell also raises the chances of Heedon to work, but I don't think it ever reaches 100% chances to work... and it can't be stacked up with itself. This costs some MP.

Bayohihihi - Defense up Spell. Arle calls a few firework lights that involve her. This raises her durability in about 10%. It can't be cast more than once - unless it's removed (and dispel attacks do not exist in this game). This costs some MP.

Braindumbed - Power down Spell. Arle calls a bunch of gingerbread men to dance around the enemy. Why does this diminish enemy power, I have no friggin' idea. It diminishes the enemy damage by 10%, doesn't miss, can't be cast more than once (see the Bayohihihi corollary) and it doesn't work on late bosses. Costs some MP.

Revia - Counter Spell. Arle calls a little angel with a sword to her side. If she is attacked, the angel counters in the exact same measure of damage she suffered. The angel lasts until Arle is damaged. If the damage Arle suffers is too low, though (less than 10%, in case of late game bosses, even less than 20% of her HP max. It is scaled according to the enemy's HP as well), the angel won't hit the enemy. Once again, this is a nasty spell. With it, the foe is forced to keep wary of his damage to Arle - and, with Diacute, it becomes even more nasty, since it DOUBLES the damage the angels deals, and Diacute leads the angels to ignore the minimum damage cap set up. This spell costs a fair amount of MP, but nothing troublesome.

Comments: Well, I see Arle as a Heavy duellist. And a rather competent one. Arle has bad raw damage, but she has one hell of a spellset - AND the humongous amounts of MP to use it to its fullest. Diacute is, by far, her most useful spell: it doubles the effectiveness of all her other spells (a single Diacuted critical attack spell from Arle HURTS - easy 3HKO for the LAST BOSS!), and raises her damage output a LARGE notch. Bayoen is also fairly ridiculous: 100% Paralyze with Innitiative and no resistance flags. Sure, the enemy will attack you the next turn, but it essentially destroys charge-time reliant characters and, with Diacute, lasts more than one turn, opening the opportunity for nasty Heedon+Bayoen combos (paralyze with a Diacuted Bayoen, cast Heedon, cast a few Diacutes, cast Bayoen again, do whatever you want, cast Heedon again... that's a LOT of cheese). Her Healing spell, the way it is (good healing, auto-revive, innitiative), also gives Arle surprising durability and the power to outslug a lot of enemies (the fact that her durability isn't bad doesn't hurt either). Revia gives Arle one hell of a defense game: if the enemy doesn't have truly puny attacks to spare, he's eating all the damage he dealt to Arle unless he gets her killed in that hit - and, Diacuted, it gets worse, because the foe will be in a disadvantage after hitting Arle with anything that isn't puny (and quite a fair amount of duellers LACK choices of weaker attacks). But Arle has quite a few key drawbacks: first, she has no evade whatsoever, since evade does NOT exist in this Madou Monogatari game in particular. Second, Arle may be a good status whore, but she dies to other status whores herself. Having no defenses against negative ailments in that game (because status ailments that affect Arle are non-existant), she is getting hit by every status in the book in no time... and she has no way to dispel them. Third, the aforementioned bad damage, although it can be bypassed easily with Diacute and the Pici staff. She has a great defensive game that can help her rack wins against good duellers quite a few times. Her lack of evade and status defenses really hurt her, though.

P.S. - If you noticed the lack of numbers to round up Arle's damage, it's because there are no numerical quantifiers in Madou Monogatari. The damage dealt is shown by how the enemy is after the attack (Green Puyo is doing pretty well, Green Puyo is in a lot of pain!), and the other stats go for the same token. You see how close to a KO Arle is by the way she is in battle (dancing, she's fine. When she starts puffing, she reached 50% range. The weaker she looks, the closer to a KO she is). So, giving numbers on Arle's statistics is essentially impossible.