Register

Author Topic: Koudelka  (Read 1665 times)

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
Koudelka
« on: August 28, 2008, 01:00:09 AM »
Also not a stat topic, but whatever.  Has some mechanics stuff in it.

From mc

Okay, it just struck me that this battle system would probably be a lot more strategic if it had some documentation behind it.  I'm probably not going to focus on this (since I feel more need to test Fire Emblem properly at the moment) but I thought I'd take down some quick notes while I could.

Strength - adds to damage (unknown formula)
Vitality - adds to defence (unknown formula) and HP = Vit^2
Dexterity - adds to hit (unknown formula)
Speed - increases initiatives and doubleturns in a CTB system (assumed linear)
Intelligence - adds to magic damage (unknown formula)
Pietiy - adds to MDef, and reduces healing spells a la low faith (unknown formula) and MP = [Pie^2/10]
Mind - adds to magic hit (and claims to add to healing spell hit rate as well, but I can't remember those missing ever...).
Luck - No idea, but probably has something to do with evade?

Side note: O_O wow, Vit is stronger than I expected.  This is why we like finding armour....

The CTB

Waiting on the spot is very fast, as is weapon switching and reloading
Moving and attacking/using an item all seem decently fast.  Like FFT I believe if you both move and act it will take longer to get your next turn.
Spells have charge time (presumably all the same?) and are also slow actions in that your next turn takes significantly longer to come.

Accessories

I've noticed that at least one (Water Jewel) adds considerable damage to the corresponding water spell.  I've heard there's others which give appropriate elemental resistances.  This is poorly documented in-game, so if someone wants to test it would be interesting to get an idea of what each type of accessory does to the corresponding element.

Spell levels:

All stat spells-
Level 1: 8 MP - raise stat by 3
Level 2: 16 MP - raise stat by 6
Level 3: 32 MP - raise stat by 9

Can't remember the numbers for healing and damage at the moment, but IIRC they just gain multitarget in exchange for MP (no extra damage on the attack spells that I've noticed--not sure about healing).  IIRC attack spells become a + formation while healing spells become a - formation (at level 2--never got Heal 3).

Weapon levels:

As far as I know, at level 2 you randomly attack 1-2 times, and at level 3 you randomly attack 1-3 times.  I *think* all values are equal probability, so it's just 1.5x damage at level 2, and 2x damage at level 3.  Of course you can't double attack if you run out of ammo--this is why the crossbow is balanced.

Damage is *proably* quadratic, though I'm not sure.  I've noticed no real difference between weapon types (and this is why bare fists suck having no strength bonus--knuckle weapons are nice for the speed of course...).

Testing ideas:

To figure out how the CTB works (is waiting 1/2 of a turn or 1/3?  et c.) start a new file, gain one level on each character and use this to make them all exactly the same speed (may have to use all 4 of James' stats >_>).  Then have one repeatedly wait, one cast spells, and one do a regular action et c. and start counting turns.

I *believe* that using stat boosting spells on enemies will lower their stats, which is probably a good way to test the damage formula compared to defence if anyone wants to play around with that.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
Re: Koudelka
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 01:01:17 AM »
From mc

A few things to add:

All spells (as far as I know) have a "shockwave" effect, so you deal more damage if you're closer (this is noticable on enemy multitarget stuff).  Long range physical attacks might also act this way--I'd have to check (again, no clue on the formula).

Also, was just fighting the Gargoyle and noticed that the character's stat gains occasionally reset to zero.  I think this was a property of getting killed and revived too many times (or getting revived then killed before you can act maybe?) though it's possible the stat gains just run out over time....

--

As I said, this'll probably be a bit sporatic at the moment. Mostly if I notice something I'll make a note of it.

Did a bit of damage testing as long as I was fighting the Gargoyle. Damage appears to be reasonably random--breaking his VIT while I attacked him, the damage certainly wasn't going up in a straight line. There's a good chance it's just subtraction defence, though (and subtraction MDef) as this would (approximately) fit a few observations I've made so far.

I do wonder if bosses get some bonus defence beyond VIT, however, since I'm fairly sure there's a low HP boss with reasonable defence. That, and I couldn't seem to get physical damage above 1k against him, which I could in randoms.

Oh, and I'm also strongly suspecting that when you're knocked back it knocks back your CT as well (or maybe this only happens if you're on the last pannel and get knocked momentarily outside of the battlefield?) I'm fairly sure the Gargoyle should have gotten a turn sometime in that period otherwise (even if I broke his speed to 1, which I'm not sure I did). ...Unless of course Koudelka bosses can be speed broken to 0, but...the designers wouldn't be -that- stupid...would they?