Author Topic: Final Fantasy 2 (Bosses)  (Read 1813 times)

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy 2 (Bosses)
« on: August 27, 2008, 11:08:23 PM »
From the Elfboy

FF2 Boss Stat Thread

Because I'm very bored, apparently. This game has no real chance of getting ranked (nor should it), and I don't even like it or anything.

Anyway, FF2 doesn't have many rankable bosses. The majority of bosses are basically just random monsters thrown in at the end of dungeons. Only five bosses I can name have lines before you fight them, and one of those is the nameless Imperial Sergeant from the first dungeon, who nobody would care about, EVER. The other four are the ones I'll look at. Upside is, they're all actually pretty interesting.

Boss stat notes:

HP and Defence are self-explanatory.
Evade is listed in the format AxB%. This means the boss will attempt to block A hits, with a B% chance of doing so for each. In practice, the boss' ACTUAL average evasion to a physical is B% * A/W, where W is your weapon level at that point. Additinally, the B portion of Evade does double-duty as speed; higher values act sooner.
MEvade is listed in a similar format, but it works rather differently. Importantly, it's only active against status, but a lot of it makes the boss very status protected even without listed immunity (it's like FF1 in that sense). FF2 bosses rarely have actual immunities; don't assume they do unless told explicitly.

The PC stats they face are fairly variable due to how FF2 works; I've tried to overcome the wonkiness of my own file and put together numbers I find fair.

Borgan

A Duke of the Kingdom of Phin, who betrayed the good guys to the Empire. A seemingly principal villain before you gut him effortlessly and rather randomly in the game's third dungeon.

Assumed PC averages: ~300 HP, ~14 Agility, ~3 Weapon Levels, ~2 blocks. 20 Defence, 2x24% Evade.

HP 240 (the boss before him has 450, the boss after him has 540)
MP 20
Defence 17 (average)
Magic Evade 3x50%
Evade 1x40% (13% actual Evade, 40 speed)

Physical Attack: 17 damage, 51% hit rate. Average 9 overall.
Cure 3: Hard to say, probably restores around half his HP. He can use this six times.

Comments: Yeah, his damage and durability are both utterly pathetic. Attacks with Mithril weapons probably do about 60 damage to him, and even magic isn't too far behind at this point, so one-rounding him is quite possible with luck. If not, two's a definite. On the upside, he's... uh, fast! And he has good MEvade, so he's not total status-bait or anything. But he's still a textbook Puny.

Fake Princess Hilda / Lamia Queen

A demon sent to impersonate Princess Hilda, the leader of the resistance, while the Emperor held her captive. Notable for a rather o.O scene for an 8-bit RPG, and being the first (and arguably last) genuinely respectable boss fight in the game.

Assumed PC averages: ~750 HP, ~18 Agility, ~5 Weapon Levels, ~3 blocks. 20 Defence, 3x42% Evade.

HP 1290 (best before her is 750)
MP 370
Defence 50 (pretty good)
Magic Evade 7x40%
Evade 2x75% (30% actual evade, 75 speed)

Physical Attack: 8 hits for 55 damage, 3 at 53%, 5 at 95% hit rate. Average 349 overall. Near-100% chance to inflict Sleep.
Wink 9: Near-100% chance to inflict Confusion. Standard FF confusion, so afflicted characters attack themselves or allies.
Blink 16: Grants perfect evasion for the rest of the battle.

Neither of her statuses are lifted by taking physical damage, like you might think. Both wear off with time, Sleep rather quickly and Confuse in about ~3 rounds on average (though it varies). Since statuses wear off at the end of a round, and she always acts first, she can keep an opponent permanently statused. When I say her status is "near-100%", I mean that I know it <i>can</i> fail on paper, I've just never seen it happen. (Hell, Wink 9 almost never misses even against <i>endgame</I> PCs, let alone now.)

Average damage to her is probably in the high 2-digits (~80-90, taking her defence/evade into account), so she should take four rounds of solid attacking to kill. In practice all the status she throws around makes her take a lot longer, as does Blink should she cast it. If she took physical damage normally to begin with she'd fall a fair bit faster, I suppose.

Comments: Incredible speed (always acts first), highly anti-physical, and an obnoxious status whore (you basically need Confuse and Sleep protection to have a chance, in a duel). Her damage is low enough to ensure that status-immune mages should eat her for breakfast, though (for all that it's good by FF2 standards! ). Probably some sort of high Heavy. Her MEvade is crazy for the time (nobody before her has more than 4) but she is bait to 100% status even so.

Gotus

The General placed in charge of Phin, the major kingdom the empire captured at the start of the game, and also the homeland of the heroes. He says all of two words before you fight him, but that's two more than most bosses!

Assumed PC avearges: ~900 HP, ~20 Agility, ~6 Weapon Levels, ~3 blocks. 20 Defence, 3x51% Evade.

HP 2000 (game-best for a <i>long</I> time)
MP 80
Defence 60 (good)
Magic Evade 5x40%
Evade 1x65% (10% actual evade, 65 speed)

Physical Attack: 6 hits for 85 damage, 3 at 39%, 3 at 90% hit rate. Average 329 overall.
Haste 6: Increases caster's number of hits. My guess is this has six 25% chances to add a hit, so he gets 1.5 more on average (all at 90% hit rate). The resulting boost to his damage is 114. Not much, and I basically list those only for those who disallow...
Drink 6: Raise Attack A LOT. I think it adds 60 points, though it's hard to say for certain. This causes every successful hit by Gotus to do 90 more damage, which means an average damage boost of 348.

Both these effects are permanent. Both are stackable.

Average damage to him is pretty similar to what you threw at Lamia Queen. No new weapons, but you do have higher weapon levels. He probably takes five or six rounds to kill, on average.

Note that for what it's worth, Gotus is possibly the most durable boss in the game. His HP remains unsurpassed for five dungeons UNSCALED and he is fought almost immediately before weapons start spiking up dramatically in power. (As soon as you beat him, you get access to the weapon shop in Phin, and after one more dungeon you head to Mysidia, which has more awesome weapons.) His durability is important, given his strategy.

Comments: At first he may not seem like much, but once he's had a chance to power up with Drink, he becomes a real terror. Two uses of Drink 6 may see him to OHKO territory; three certainly will. A fairly straightforward boss who doubles as a healer buster, not bad at all. Excellent speed is also a positive. He's a little slow on the draw, though, so Heavy may be a bit much for him (plus, he's badly owned by good enough evasion or anti-physical skills). His MEvade is good, but could stand to be better, so the usual comments about status apply, too. Still, a dangerous Middle.

Emperor (form 2)

The Emperor of Paramekia, who hungers to rule the world. After the heroes kill off his Light-bait first form, he returns from the dead, now bent on destruction. The cliched main villain, and the final boss. Fought in the depths of Pandemonium Castle.

Assumed PC averages: ~2500 HP, ~50 Agility, ~9 Weapon Levels, ~5 blocks. 95 Defence, 5x90% Evade.

I just pulled the defence and evade from my file. It's too difficult to work out "legal" setups for armour at this point, since there hasn't been any storebought equipment in... just about forever. Taking the Emperor against storebought stuff would really inflate him, IMO... though probably not that much.

Anyway.

HP 10000 (highest before him is 7000)
MP 540
Defence 210 (very good)
Magic Evade 16x70%
Evade 1x80% (8% actual evade, 80 speed)

Halves all elements, immune to all status, is healed by instant death and "transformation" status. (Don't ask me how much.)

Physical Attack: 8 hits for 175 damage, 5 at 10%, 3 at 100% hit rate. Average is 613 overall. ALSO: Each successful hit also drains 1/16 of the target's max HP on top of its base damage, and gives this drained HP to the Emperor. He'll land 3.5 hits on average. Assuming he faces 2500 HP, this is an extra 2500 * 3.5/16 = 547 damage, for a grand total of 1160.
Flare 16: ~800 magic damage.
Meteo 10: ~262 magic? damage, fairly high variance, though. MT. This sucks ass.
Dispel 16: Doesn't appear to do anything; likely glitched. Is supposed to remove elemental/status defence, but rather clearly doesn't.
Curse 16: Inflicts Curse, near-100% chance.
Blind 16: Inflicts Blind, near-100% chance.
Slow 16: Reduce target's number of hits (always to 1, in my experience).

The Emperor's status looks fairly benign (and in-game, Ribbon and the Aegis Shield <i>make</i> it that way), but it's much more deadly than it looks.

-Curse has several effects. It halves Attack, it halves Defence, and it halves magical damage (including healing) done by the afflicted character. Ouch. Notably, after Curse has halved Attack, breaking Emperor's Defence is basically impossible without a critical, at least without several uses of Berserk/Bacchus. Halved defence means ~48 more damage per hit for the Emperor, or 168 total.

-Blind is better than it looks. Sure, it halves hit rate, roughly. Yawn. It also halves evasion (though not the speed aspect). This is very useful for the Emperor, it means he hits an average of 5.75 times instead of 3.5... upping his physical damage to a Blinded character by 64%, draining included. (It's now 1000 base + 900 draining, roughly. 1275 base or so with Curse.)

-Slow... eh, usual FF1/2 slow notes apply. In-game, it completely axes regular physicals (reduces target to one hit, and that one hit faces 80% Evade). I suppose I'd let it raise his effective evade to 80%, at worst.

All are permanent.

As far as his durability goes... eh. He falls in five or six rounds in-game, similar to Gotus. His defence makes him quite anti-physical, though it's not as impressive as Chaos' in FF1, I find (Masamune pierces it more fully in this game than it did in FF1). As far as his healing goes, it's largely a non-factor, at least until Blind. Then it's... somewhat noticeable, but still nothing you can't easily outdamage in-game.

If you factor the Blood Swords in for his durability, he dies in two rounds. Laugh.

Comments: I undersold Curse and Blind (didn't realise Curse affected magic/healing, or Blind affected evade) in the past. He's quite adept at dealing with most PCs, even healers, despite a lack of fatal status. Status-vulnerable fighters are ESPECIALLY vulnerable. And he's certainly durable (Defence + halving elements does that... he doesn't like non-elemental magic at all, though). On the other hand, he's slow, the damage needs work (high 3HKO, but meh), and he hates the status immune. He's completely worthless against bosses if you don't allow the draining of his physical (it's akin to Albedo's and Yunalesca's draining), since that drops him to 4HKO range. Still, he feels like he might be able to scrape low Godlike to me, though I'm not sure.

That's it for now. I may add more bosses on demand (the four guardians of Pandemonium, including ZOMBIE BORGAN!, and maybe the Emperor's Puny-bait first form), but meh, lazy. It's a miracle I did this much work, to be honest.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 07:54:27 PM by Talaysen »