Register

Author Topic: Grandia (Elfboy's topic)  (Read 2288 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Grandia (Elfboy's topic)
« on: August 27, 2008, 10:32:40 PM »
All right, a few words first.

Grandia is quite possibly the most subjective game I've ever played as far as determining endgame stats goes. I've decided, for this thread, just to go with my characters exactly as they appear in my file immediately before fighting the final boss. Just so you know my building patterns... I never intentionally power-built by using my best techs, healing, and repeating, like some do. I also made my best efforts to build everyone equally (so no, I never sent Justin off to the corner to defend while other characters powered up). I tended to build weapon levels roughly equally for all characters, except for Feena's Dagger, which I saw no reason to build whatsoever. At endgame, I was applying the same standard to Rapp, but Daggers were so much better than Swords or Shuriken for most of the game he ended up with a lot of Dagger levels anyway. As for spells, again, I kept things mostly equal for all characters. I never saw a reason to build Liete's Earth, so I didn't, and once I'd mastered all of Feena's spells, I built nothing but Fire for her, since it sped up her most important spell (End of the World) and gave her the most valuable stat. Justin and Liete had both just finished learning all their spells at endgame; Rapp was a ways off.

Also, I apply the following rules as far as RPGP-legal goes:

-No Mana Eggs. The WIT, HP, STR, and AGI they grant is thrown out; however, any unique spells or abilities that require Mana Eggs are kept in. Weird, I know, but it's how I see things.
-Equipment is generally storebought or unique. Almost everyone's best stuff falls into this category anyway, except things like the Spirit Shield which are out for obvious reasons (it can be used by anyone, and there's only one).
-No accessories besides starting stuff. Boots are fine. You can add on status-blockers as you choose.

The stats:

STR is Strength. It increases damage of attacks and techs.
VIT is Vitality. It's physical defence, basically.
WIT is Speed. I have no idea what WIT is supposed to mean (witty characters are fast?) but it's definitely speed in the traditional sense.
AGI is Agility. It determines how fast you move, and is pretty useless in the RPGP in my opinion.

The game also uses Attack, Defence, Action, and Move as synonyms for STR, VIT, WIT, and AGI respectively.

Anyhoo, here are the characters, their RPGP setups, their damage, etc.

Justin

The hero of the game, who likes to prattle on about adventure. He's none to bright, and grates on my nerves a LOT, but he's still a decent guy.

Level 36
Sword Lv. 34, Mace Lv. 34, Axe Lv. 35

Spirit Sword (STR+70)
Moonlight Shield (VIT+21, Ice resist +2)
Spirit Armour (VIT+55)
Charisma Helm (VIT+26, WIT+30)
Battle Boots (VIT+20, Death immunity)
Hero Badge (WIT+2)

STR 158 (228)
VIT 78 (200)
WIT 143 (175)
AGI 49
HP 224
SP 126
MP 99/67/37

Heaven & Earth Cut: 1150 damage. Costs 90 SP.
Thunder Cut: 1000 damage, Lightning-based. Costs 40 SP.
Midair Cut: 780 damage. Costs 32 SP.

Justin gets no magic, and Immortal Aura is useless. He is roughly average in speed (that Charisma Helm really saves him), has the highest damage output, and the best physical durability in the party. His magic durability is a little weak. He gets elemental physical damage, which may be useful against CC or LoD characters.

Elfboy's Ranking: Middle/Heavy. He's decent at offence and defence, but not spectacular, and lacks the variety needed to get far in Heavy.

Feena

The supposed "world's greatest adventurer" who just doesn't seem all that adventurous most of the time. Being the female lead, she's eventually revealed as having mysterious super-powers. These powers include the game's strongest magic, and the ability to tolerate Justin.

Level 34
Dagger Lv. 19, Whip Lv. 53, Fire Lv. 49

Whip of Light (STR+65)
Devil Robe (VIT+32, Magic resist +2)
Mystic Mask (VIT+17)
Jade Charm (STR+2)

STR 98 (165)
VIT 58 (148)
WIT 222
AGI 62
HP 181
SP 94
MP 99/86/39

Time Gate: Feena gets three free turns. Costs 99 Level 1 MP. I've never seen this spell myself, so I'm trusting others on it.
End of the World: 999 damage, fixed. Costs 33 Level 3 MP. Contrary to popular belief, this is non-elemental damage.
Tree of Life: Full healing, stat-restoring, and status restoration. Costs 28 Level 2 MP.
Zap Whip: 760 damage, lightning-based. Costs 38 SP.
Attack: 240 damage, spread out over two hits.

Feena has the highest natural speed of the Grandia cast by far. She is, however, the most physically frail. Her magic durability is decent, though. Para Whip does virtually no damage and its paralysis lasts less than a round, so it is useless.

Elfboy's Ranking: Heavy/Godlike. Feena's strategy is simple. Act first, use Time Gate, then do about 2500 damage while her opponent is helpless. That should kill off most PCs. Her major problem is that she's really a one-turn wonder; one Time Gate/EotW/Zap Whip/Zap Whip combo saps her of all her resources beyond her healing.

Rapp

The nose-picking boy from Cafu. Rapp feels like he's a visitor from the Lunar world, since he constantly has smart-ass remarks to make to any random townsfolk he converses with.

Level 34
Dagger Lv. 30, Sword Lv. 28, Throw Lv. 32, Fire Lv. 16)

Evil Shuriken (STR+64, WIT+20) or Main Gauche (STR+44, VIT+10)
Aura Armour (VIT+35)
Charisma Helm (VIT+26, WIT+30)
Black Belt (AGI+2) *sigh*

Default stats listed with the Evil Shuriken.

STR 134 (198) (Main Gauche: 178)
VIT 72 (174) (Main Gauche: 184)
WIT 179 (229) (Main Gauche: 209)
AGI 146 (148)
HP 182
SP 131
MP 65/52/26

If Rapp is using the Main Gauche, he has only one strategy: DEATH SWORD! He needs to use a sword or dagger to use this move. Otherwise, he's better off with the Evil Shuriken, so his damage numbers are listed with that as his weapon.

Death Sword: Instant death. Very good accuracy (i.e. as good as any other tech, as far as I can tell). Costs 25 SP.
Neo Demon Ball: 900 damage. Costs 85 SP.
Demon Ball: 800 damage. Costs 40 SP.

With both the Evil Shuriken and Charisma Helm, Rapp's already above average speed becomes blazing fast, allowing him to do good damage with his physical attacks at high speed. More often, though, he'll probably opt for instant death against most PCs, which slows him down a little (he'll be slower than Feena), but he's still very fast, and the opponent will definitely be killed in one blow. Rapp's built for fast wins; his physical durability is the second worst, and his magical durability is the worst of the final party. Long battles definitely aren't his style.

Elfboy's Ranking: Heavy. Rapp murders most PCs; when ID fails him, his damage and speed will often be good enough. Low durability really holds him back against bosses and the Death-immune, though.

Liete

The guardian of Alent who joins Justin in her quest to find happiness. In other words, despite being the party mage, she's not too bright. She's still a cool character.

Level 35
Mace Lv. 32, Fire Lv. 25, Wind Lv. 24, Water Lv. 23, Earth Lv. 21

General's Hammer (STR+55)
Magic Gloves (VIT+20)
Devil Robe (VIT+32, Magic resist +2)
Angel Hat (VIT+23, Auto-Regen)
Holy Ring (VIT+10, Magic resist +2)

Liete can opt for the Spark Rod (STR+43) instead of General's Hammer, halving her charge times. I view charge time as a non-factor in the RPGP, but your mileage may vary.
Liete can also opt for the Rainbow High Heels over the Battle Boots, which allows her to evade physical attacks. I don't think the defence loss is worth it, myself (they only give VIT+5).

STR 91 (146)
VIT 84 (189)
WIT 161
AGI 69
HP 184
SP 78
MP 99/62/39

Enclose: Constrains the opponent. 100% effective, and works on all enemies including bosses. Lasts two rounds, and the target takes around 340 damage in the process. Costs 26 Level 3 MP.
Gadzap: 780 damage, Lightning-based. Costs 13 Level 3 MP.
Meteor Strike: 650 damage, Explosion-based. Costs 10 Level 2 MP.
Redshock: 570 damage. Costs 28 SP. Liete's only physical damage besides attacking.
Enchantress Dance: Steals 4 MP from the enemy (restores 4 to all of Liete's magic levels). Costs 34 SP.
Star Symphony: All stats up by +1, which appears to be about a 10% boost. Stats raised are STR, VIT, WIT, AGI, and max HP. Can be stacked. Costs 12 Level 2 MP.
Magical Art: 450 damage, Fire-based. Costs 11 Level 1 MP.
Alhealer: Restores 111 HP. Costs 8 Level 2 MP.
Alhealer+: Restores 166 HP. Costs 12 Level 3 MP.

Liete has 30 spells at her disposal, which gives her a lot of variety. Her best damage, contrary to what some people have said, isn't DragonZap, but rather the powerful singletarget magic of Gadzap and Meteor Strike. She's also arguably the tank of the game, with physical durability second only to Justin and the best magical durability by far (+4 magic resist means she takes around half what everyone else was taking to magic). Her speed is a little on the low side, though.

Elfboy's ranking: Heavy. Liete's Enclose is a devastating attack, and she can combo that into a Gadzap and a Meteor Strike for nearly 1800 damage, which is either PC-fatal or close to it in my opinion. Lack of MP really holds her back, though, and her speed doesn't help. Her healing is nice to have, as is her stat-boosting, though neither are as strong as one might like. Unfortunately, even though OKnight will kill me for saying this, I can't help but feel that she's Feena Lite, in a duel.

Added notes on Liete: With her Staff of Life instead of General's Hammer, her STR should be 3 points higher than was listed here. I don't know exactly how tech damage works, but this should probably up her Redshock damage slightly to near 600. Not bad for a mage physical. Also, Enclose is probably much better than listed. Apparently, it deals significantly more damage when mastered... anywhere from 400-600 more, from the reports I've heard. *shrug* Take this as you will, since mastered Enclose is aftergame (IMO) and it's arguable if it's a separate skill. I'm not sure where I stand on it. Regardless, if you allow the improved Enclose Liete's damage from a first-turn combo jumps to be near Feena's, and not subject to elemental defence. Nasty.

Damage averages (By OK)

1-Shot: 957
1) Justin (Heaven and Earth Cut) - 1150
2) Feena (End of the World) - 999
3) Rapp (Neo Demon Ball) - 900
4) Liete (Gadzap) - 780

...ok, now using attacks that can be used 3 times at least...

1-Shot: 835
1) Justin (Thunder Cut) - 1000
2) Rapp (Demon Ball) - 800
3) Liete (Gadzap) - 780)
4) Feena (Zap Whip) - 760 [Sadly, no other spells or attacks are posted]

3-shot: 2565/850
1) Justin (Thunder Cut*3) - 3000/1000
2) Feena (End of the World + Zap Whip*2) - 2519/840
3) Rapp (Demon Ball*3) - 2400/800
4) Liete (Gadzap*3) - 2340/760

Yay!

Equipment notes:

Rapp, Justin can also use the Devil Robe for magic defense, if they so desire.

Fairy Robe - +10 DEF, +2 Sleep Resistance, +2 Confusion Resistance (All)
Flying Dragon Vest - +14 DEF, +2 Fire Resistance (All)
Mink Coat - +25 DEF, +5 Water Resistance, +5 Wind Resistance (All)

A +2 resistance seems to be ~25%, +4 ~50%.

Alternate equips (OblivionKnight)

Alright, I'll just toss them in. If I miss anything or get it wrong, tell me; this list is a tad old. There are a lot of items, so I'll just put in a few ( leaving out many status effect items )::

Stuff probably considered legal:

Staff of Life (Mace) +58 STR - +2 HP Level in Combat when used as an item
Silence Sword (Sword) +40 STR - Magic Block, 25%
Godspeed Knife (Dagger) +64 STR - +30 WIT [might be a little off on this, but this is the approximate stats for it]
Force Knife (Dagger) +65 STR - Casts Wow! ( +2 effect ) in battle
Hertz Spike (Mace - Not for Liete) +65 STR - Instant Death, 25%

Warrior's Armour (Heavy Armour) +32 VIT - +3 Move Block resistance
Lafa Flower Shield (Shield) +19 VIT - +1 Magic Power level
Battle Helm (Helmet) +23 VIT - +3 Magic Block Resistance
Swallowtail Hat (Hat) +12 VIT - +3 Confusion Resistance

Stuff that's questionable:

Ninja Shoes (Shoes) +5 VIT - +20 WIT
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:34:31 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....