Author Topic: Tourney 2011 Round 1, Week 2  (Read 10245 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Tourney 2011 Round 1, Week 2
« on: July 18, 2011, 12:56:20 AM »
Counting of last weeks sins will appear in this spot sometime before week's end.  In the meantime, new pools!

Godlike

Jack Russel (Radiata Stories) v Ted (Suikoden IV)
Claude C. Kenni (Star Ocean: The Second Story) v Riou (Suikoden II)
Seymour (Final Fantasy X) v Albedo (Xenosaga Series)
Souji Seta (Persona 4) v Heat (Digital Devil Saga)

Layna (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) v Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series)
Nailah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) v Rolf Landale (Phantasy Star II)
Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series) v Jenna Angel (Digital Devil Saga)
Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) v Cidolfas Orlandu (Final Fantasy Tactics)

Heavy

Arngrim (Valkyrie Profile Series) v Marcello (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of Cursed King)
Adelbert Steiner (Final Fantasy IX) v Margulis (Xenosaga: Jenseits von Gut und Bose)
Kary (Final Fantasy) v Lloyd (Legend of Dragoon)
Zerase (Suikoden V) v Vyse (Skies of Arcadia)

Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII) v Edgar (Final Fantasy VI)
Hect (Grandia III) v Emilia (SaGa Frontier)
Lans Tartare (Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together) v Harken (Wild ARMs)
Ike (Fire Emblem Series) v Fogel (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen)

Middle

Rauny (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen) v Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia)
Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) v Caina (Wild ARMs 2)
Charles Barkley (Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden: Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley Saga) v Lise (Seiken Densetsu 3)
Gallows Carradine (Wild ARMs 3) v Graham Cray (Suikoden IV)

Hippopressor (Mega Man X: Command Mission) v Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII)
Eiko Carol (Final Fantasy IX) v Alma Beolvue (Final Fantasy Tactics)
Beatrice (Wild ARMs 3) v Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy VII)
Katt (Breath of Fire II) v Axel (Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories)

Light

Kid (Chrono Cross) v Rafa Galthana (Final Fantasy Tactics)
Rozalin (Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories) v Tony (Wild ARMs XF)
Koroku (Suikoden III) v Akaghi (Suikoden IV)
Aeris Gainsborough (Final Fantasy VII) v Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF)

Judith (Tales of Vesperia) v Arietta (Tales of the Abyss)
Evil Gaia (Grandia) v Mullen (Grandia)
Basculin (Pokémon) v Shabon (Suikoden III)
Rufus Shinra (Final Fantasy VII) v Meena Mahabala (Dragon Quest IV)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: Tourney 2011 Round 1, Week 2
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 01:16:36 AM »
Godlike

Claude C. Kenni (Star Ocean: The Second Story) v Riou (Suikoden II): Nulls light.
Seymour (Final Fantasy X) v Albedo (Xenosaga Series): Gut. I dunno which form of Albedo I vote on but I sorta expect Seymour to be able to handle either. EDIT: No, 1 wins. Vote switched to abstain.

Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series) v Jenna Angel (Digital Devil Saga): Pretty sure we've seen this before?

Heavy

Arngrim (Valkyrie Profile Series) v Marcello (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of Cursed King): Looks like Marcello just manages to complete the two-round (Arngrim has 140% MDur or so, Marcello's damage falls in the 70-75 range) and thus avoids getting splattered by Final Blast.
Adelbert Steiner (Final Fantasy IX) v Margulis (Xenosaga: Jenseits von Gut und Bose): Terrible matchup for Margulis, Steiner resists all his damage.
Kary (Final Fantasy) v Lloyd (Legend of Dragoon): Seems quite unlikely that Kary survives two Wingly Spheres?

Hect (Grandia III) v Emilia (SaGa Frontier): Hect tends to win if given a turn, Emelia damage isn't high enough to prevent this (unless you give her DSC!).
Lans Tartare (Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together) v Harken (Wild ARMs): My kneejerk is that Maximum Risk being ITD tilts things her way, since a lot of Lans' durability came from good defence. Lans also has physicals and holy magic, neither of which is great here.

Middle

Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) v Caina (Wild ARMs 2): Strong kneejerk that s/he is just better in the division, though I could be argued.
Gallows Carradine (Wild ARMs 3) v Graham Cray (Suikoden IV): I... guess the lightning magic should overwhelm the healing?

Hippopressor (Mega Man X: Command Mission) v Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII): ... must start FF13.
Eiko Carol (Final Fantasy IX) v Alma Beolvue (Final Fantasy Tactics): Still have plenty of Alma respect.
Beatrice (Wild ARMs 3) v Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy VII): Ouch, spoiled. Can block sleep and Beatrice's combination of great durability and shoddy damage means Tifa gets at least a L2 off (possibly a L3?), which is monstrous.

Light

Kid (Chrono Cross) v Rafa Galthana (Final Fantasy Tactics): Can blitz past a healing strategy easily enough, and just outslugs anything else since it's Rafa. Her high hit even spoils Elf Mantle hype! (not that I give that much credibility anyway)
Koroku (Suikoden III) v Akaghi (Suikoden IV): Kinda opposite ends of the division as far as runeless Suikoscrubs go.
Aeris Gainsborough (Final Fantasy VII) v Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF): There's a very real chance that Aeris literally can't break the distortion...

Evil Gaia (Grandia) v Mullen (Grandia): Mullen gave the Tonfachallenge a lot of trouble, but Gaia walled it entirely!!! Wait, wrong Gaia form? :(
Rufus Shinra (Final Fantasy VII) v Meena Mahabala (Dragon Quest IV): Sadly Rufus is terrible.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:02:28 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 02:39:08 AM »
Albedo 2 loses, but I believe Albedo 1 resists all elements by 75%?  I think Seymour was all elemental....

Heavy

Arngrim (Valkyrie Profile Series) v Marcello (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of Cursed King)
Adelbert Steiner (Final Fantasy IX) v Margulis (Xenosaga: Jenseits von Gut und Bose)
I'll assume Steiner does has the usual cheaty FF9 elemental resist.  Margulis's backup physical doesn't cut it here for all that he tanks like a champ.
Can Lloyd even do two Wingly Spheres?  Thought it was OPB or otherwise greatly limited last I checked, and not even that amazing anyway.
Faster 2HKO.

Talk about a coinflip.  No confuse in FF13, so Vanille is vulnerable.  Edgar is "slow" but it's FF6 speed.  FF13...  I think I do subscribe to the idea that attacks are a little fast, while healing / status / defense is a little slow due to how disruption works.  I wouldn't normally do this, but since the speed break is going to be fast and missed status doesn't disrupt enemies at all, I'd be willing to say that even average speed Vanille might only get off 2-3 Pain attempts rather than the full 5.  Which means...  it's still a 50/50 coinflip.

[21:29] <+SnowFire> roll d2
[21:29] * @Hatbot --> "SnowFire rolls d2 and gets 2." [d2=2]

Congrats, Edgar.

Normally I'd say that multihit attacks only trigger one counter (SO Mirror Slice, say) but OB is a little different, where it's clear that every attack is a phase of the round.  Which means that Fogel is eating like 3 Ike counters and an Ike turn, so Aether is going off, and that'll hose Fogel's defense to add insult to injury.

Middle

Later.

Much as Vanille dislikes status effects being a bit slow, Lightning likes attacking being a bit fast.  From reading the stat topic, this sounds like Lightning's match - use MT spells like Thundaga to control Shark Missiles, and heal up to full before knocking the head off.  Flip side Lightning is 5 separate attacks normally so I dunno if that would knock the head off faster.  She probably can hose her damage a bit to go for single really hard hits (Army of One in the DL hype by pretending 14 hits = 1 hit?!).  If so, sounds like Hippo might well die before the head even falls off.  Regardless, once it does, she can still blitz credibly if he's got a 33% weakness to melee strikes.

Alma's resources don't last and she can't blitz.

Light

Unless Mullen has status holes.
DQ4o, so Nara fears the Rufus crit and is probably heal-locked anyway.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 02:55:03 AM »
Albedo 2 loses, but I believe Albedo 1 resists all elements by 75%?  I think Seymour was all elemental....

He had Ultima (2HKO non-elemental). That said, the MDef and speed might let him win if you let his mHP gravity move work on Seymour.

As for Wingly Sphere, it's OPB, then he gets another as a death counter (and he remains alive at 1 HP after using it, so it's on firmer ground than typical death counters if that's an issue to you).

Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 03:06:53 AM »
Godlike

Claude C. Kenni (Star Ocean: The Second Story) v Riou (Suikoden II) - Blocks light and that is match.

Heavy

Kary (Final Fantasy) v Lloyd (Legend of Dragoon)- Strong kneejerk.
Lans Tartare (Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together) v Harken (Wild ARMs) - WA1o Harken.

Middle

Charles Barkley (Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden: Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley Saga) v Lise (Seiken Densetsu 3) - Kneejerking that Silence+defense buffing lets her outslug for the moment.
Eiko Carol (Final Fantasy IX) v Alma Beolvue (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Yeeeah no.

Light

Kid (Chrono Cross) v Rafa Galthana (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Rafa.
Evil Gaia (Grandia) v Mullen (Grandia) - Evil Gaia.
Rufus Shinra (Final Fantasy VII) v Meena Mahabala (Dragon Quest IV) - DQ4r is merely bad at taking hits instead of lolwut at it.  Also, Rufus.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 11:45:34 AM »
Souji Seta (Persona 4) v Heat (Digital Devil Saga) - Only one I can vote on, and oh god what. Kneejerk to Freeze deciding things, since there's nothing Souji can do about that one, IIRC?

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 05:36:49 PM »
Jack Russel (Radiata Stories) v Ted (Suikoden IV) - Jack.  Yay items.
Claude C. Kenni (Star Ocean: The Second Story) v Riou (Suikoden II) - Claude.  Can guard instant death, voids light, etc.
Seymour (Final Fantasy X) v Albedo (Xenosaga Series) - AlbedoAll for Godlikest.
Souji Seta (Persona 4) v Heat (Digital Devil Saga) - Heat.  Boss.

Layna (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) v Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series) - TcDohl. 
Nailah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) v Rolf Landale (Phantasy Star II) - Rolf. 
Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series) v Jenna Angel (Digital Devil Saga) - Jenna.
Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) v Cidolfas Orlandu (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Yuri.

Arngrim (Valkyrie Profile Series) v Marcello (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of Cursed King) - ...very close.  Arngrim boss will do that.  Vote for the current time period goes to Marcello for having a better name.
Adelbert Steiner (Final Fantasy IX) v Margulis (Xenosaga: Jenseits von Gut und Bose) - Margulis.  Way too durable.
Kary (Final Fantasy) v Lloyd (Legend of Dragoon) - Kary.  KaryAll works.
Zerase (Suikoden V) v Vyse (Skies of Arcadia) - Vyse.  VyseAll should be enough.

Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII) v Edgar (Final Fantasy VI) - Edgar. 
Hect (Grandia III) v Emilia (SaGa Frontier) - Hect.
Lans Tartare (Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together) v Harken (Wild ARMs) - Harken.
Ike (Fire Emblem Series) v Fogel (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen) - Ike.  IkeAll for freaking insane Godlike upgrade now.

Rauny (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen) v Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia) - Raine.
Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) v Caina (Wild ARMs 2) - Caina.  Boss.
Charles Barkley (Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden: Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley Saga) v Lise (Seiken Densetsu 3) - ...ass ;_;.  Lise silences Barkley, arguably is faster (not sure how you see SD3 speed), and can boost herself.  Should have went with Cyberdwarf.  No status blockers exist, but lots of healing items ;_;
Gallows Carradine (Wild ARMs 3) v Graham Cray (Suikoden IV) - Cray.

Hippopressor (Mega Man X: Command Mission) v Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII) - Hippopressor
Eiko Carol (Final Fantasy IX) v Alma Beolvue (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Eiko.  lol stat ded
Beatrice (Wild ARMs 3) v Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy VII) - Beatrice.  Boss power go...although materia makes this closer
Katt (Breath of Fire II) v Axel (Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories) - Axel.  BOSS POWAR!

Kid (Chrono Cross) v Rafa Galthana (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Rafa.
Rozalin (Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories) v Tony (Wild ARMs XF) - Tony.  TonyAll for Godlikest.
Koroku (Suikoden III) v Akaghi (Suikoden IV) - Koroku. 
Aeris Gainsborough (Final Fantasy VII) v Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) - Aeris.

Judith (Tales of Vesperia) v Arietta (Tales of the Abyss) - Arietta.
Evil Gaia (Grandia) v Mullen (Grandia) - Evil Gaia.
Basculin (Pokémon) v Shabon (Suikoden III) - Shabon.
Rufus Shinra (Final Fantasy VII) v Meena Mahabala (Dragon Quest IV) - Rufus.  Meena is a nonexistant character in the versions I played, so this is easy!
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 06:50:26 PM »
Godlike

Jack Russel (Radiata Stories) v Ted (Suikoden IV)- Don't think Jack could resist dark.
Claude C. Kenni (Star Ocean: The Second Story) v Riou (Suikoden II)- Blocks Holy.
Seymour (Final Fantasy X) v Albedo (Xenosaga Series)- Owns both vorms.
Souji Seta (Persona 4) v Heat (Digital Devil Saga)- Brutal MT damage>Heat.

Layna (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) v Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series)- Death.
Nailah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) v Rolf Landale (Phantasy Star II)- Megid smash.
Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series) v Jenna Angel (Digital Devil Saga)[/b]- Think he can tank his way past here, though my vote will change if he didn't have any kind of good debuff game.
Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) v Cidolfas Orlandu (Final Fantasy Tactics)- I don't think Yuri can avoid the OHKO. Even if he does, Hellcry punch.

Heavy

Adelbert Steiner (Final Fantasy IX) v Margulis (Xenosaga: Jenseits von Gut und Bose)- Har.

Lans Tartare (Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together) v Harken (Wild ARMs)- Harken blows.
Ike (Fire Emblem Series) v Fogel (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen)- Should 2HKO unless Ike's defense is way better than I'm remembering.

Middle

Rauny (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen) v Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia)- Resists thunder.
Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) v Caina (Wild ARMs 2)- Knejerking that Flay can blitz enough here.

Eiko Carol (Final Fantasy IX) v Alma Beolvue (Final Fantasy Tactics)- Weird fight. Alma's opening up with Ultima here, since Mbarrier can be dispelled and is very MP intenstive. Eiko uses haste then heals, which pretty much puts them back to the same point as before. I think this fight comes down to Alma getting a natural double and killing with Ultima at some point before running out of MP, or getting one from the clockticks she's getting from Mbarrier before Eiko dispels it.  EDIT: Alma waits. What's Eiko going to do, try and kill her with damage? She's faster enough than Eiko to get a doubleturn in time in this case.
Beatrice (Wild ARMs 3) v Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy VII)-  Beatrice is limit bait.
Katt (Breath of Fire II) v Axel (Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories)- Faster and bestter damage.

Light

Kid (Chrono Cross) v Rafa Galthana (Final Fantasy Tactics)- Rafa's damage is pathetic enough that Kid can outslug even with the elf mantle and halving fire (healing is useless, Kid just uses Red pin at the end of a chain to break that).
Aeris Gainsborough (Final Fantasy VII) v Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF)- Aeris's damage isn't very good, but it is more than enough to break Distortion. Seal Evil and then outslug Labby's physical after that.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 06:14:10 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 08:11:45 PM »
She probably can hose her damage a bit to go for single really hard hits(Army of One in the DL hype by pretending 14 hits = 1 hit?!)

Only if Vanille gets to use Death~COM in the DL! >.>
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:20:52 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 08:35:08 PM »
Godlike

Jack Russel (Radiata Stories) v Ted (Suikoden IV)- Jack can't resist Dark, but I'd argue that Jack's speed is better than Ted's, which thanks to S4 speed wonkiness really isn't much at all while Jack gets to be compared to a lot of in game slugs
Claude C. Kenni (Star Ocean: The Second Story) v Riou (Suikoden II

Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) v Cidolfas Orlandu (Final Fantasy Tactics)- Yuri wouldn't be OHKOed (Well, especially to me with no Bracer, but shouldn't regardless)...so thinking on if Hellcry Punch would work.

Heavy

Middle

Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) v Caina (Wild ARMs 2)- Very durable (for the division)

Hippopressor (Mega Man X: Command Mission) v Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII)- Yeah, MT and such
Eiko Carol (Final Fantasy IX) v Alma Beolvue (Final Fantasy Tactics)- Alma can only attack with magic=any healer crushes her

Light

Aeris Gainsborough (Final Fantasy VII) v Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF)- I don't think Aeris has issues with Distortion. After all, no special weapons effects means...5 of 8 PCs see their damage at least halved when she's around. That said, even without that...I'm still unsure. Math later.

Basculin (Pokémon) v Shabon (Suikoden III)- I can't vote, but this unmentioned. Wrong division on Shabon.
...into the nightfall.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 02:46:41 AM »
Re Dark Holy Elf:
Mm.  Ultima's got a slow recharge time and it's less than half his normal damage, but Albedo is no great shakes on durability, so it still 2HKOs.  And yeah, I think Albedo needs "gravity working on a boss" so that he can 3HKO first, which normally I wouldn't allow..  except...  Jecht gets called out specifically as immune to Demi in your stat topic, but Seymour Omnis doesn't.  If he has an explicit gravity vulnerability, then sure, Gravity Gaze x2 -> damage probably does the trick, so vote stays unless he's immune to demi after all.

Zerase (Suikoden V) v Vyse (Skies of Arcadia) - Vyse.  VyseAll should be enough.

Beatrice (Wild ARMs 3) v Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy VII) - Beatrice.  Boss power go...although materia makes this closer

Ah OK votes.  For the record, I'm pretty sure VC Vyse dies to Zerase too for the same reason - 2HKOed first.

As for Beatrice / Tifa, if you hand out materia, doesn't Tifa just heal and spam limits?  Beatrice's damage is bad even if she gets unscaled HP....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 03:01:47 AM »
Seymour's Ultima has normal recharge time.

Quote from: FFX Stat Topic
Ultima - 3700 magic damage to all enemies. Ignores Shell, and Ultima's normal long recharge time, but is otherwise identical to the PC spell. Ignores Reflect.

However, he does immune Demi; it's included under "immune to all status except..." since Demi makes a status check. Of course Albedo's gravity is really more like Absorb which doesn't make said check (meaning I allow it to hit)... but your milage may vary. I should probably decide which form of Albedo I vote on. Albedo 2 ended up feeling reasonably legal to me on a replay and I kneejerked it as better but Albedo 1 wins this where 2 doesn't. May just abstain.

Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 03:20:33 AM »
Godlike

Jack Russel (Radiata Stories) v Ted (Suikoden IV)

Nailah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) v Rolf Landale (Phantasy Star II)
Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) v Cidolfas Orlandu (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Equipment-breaking could be a problem, but ToV characters can reequip mid-battle. Yuri could possibly be faster, too?

Heavy

Zerase (Suikoden V) v Vyse (Skies of Arcadia) - But VC Vyse heals and has ITD Flamethrowers!

Lans Tartare (Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together) v Harken (Wild ARMs) - haven't mathed it out, but from just recently playing OB, I'm not sure I see Paladin Lans as Heavy...
Ike (Fire Emblem Series) v Fogel (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen) - and Ike just counters the hell out of Fogel...

Middle

Rauny (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen) v Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia) - Raine is terrible.
Charles Barkley (Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden: Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley Saga) v Lise (Seiken Densetsu 3)

Light

Koroku (Suikoden III) v Akaghi (Suikoden IV) - Though seriously tempted to vote dogs for both of these.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 03:31:12 AM »
Am I missing something with Heat>Souji? Heat may not live to get a turn (Thunder spell+Hassou Tobi is pain) and Heat's really got no effective way to damage Souji.

To Djinn: Also, Raine can halve thunder, which fucks over Rauny beyond belief. Raine can heal and outslug from there. No way is Yuri faster than Cid, also. And Fogel shrugs off counters, he's like 8x PC against physicals. The only thing he even slightly fears is Aether, and Ike is almost certainly not getting that off in time.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:33:48 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 03:41:44 AM »
I'd imagine they either allow initial tentacles (like in-game) or just see his durability as good enough. Heat has Almighty damage so... doesn't he just win if he does get a turn? At least I thought P4 didn't allow doubleturns.

Maybe.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 05:08:58 AM »
Heavy

Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII) v Edgar (Final Fantasy VI) - Yeah Vanille's spells are definitely faster than her physical attacks >_> Vanille is average. Edgar is a fair bit below (unless you don't hold Edgar to equipped averages for some reason) Vanille goes first. Her Pain has a 26.6% chance per use chance of inflicting the status at base I think? - 26.6% without chain bonus increase. Perhaps somebody else needs to do the math because I'm not sure there whether it's a base 26.6% + 26.6%, etc sum but I think Pain x 3 is over 50% regardless which is Turn 1 to me. I believe Vanille gets in a full turn over Edgar though and a chain of Pain x 4 or Pain x 5 should definitely do the trick.

(not ... sure what to think of Cut + Keep in the DL besides but if this is hypothetical in the DL then I am inclined to also factor in the chain bonuses to status effect chance that Vanille would receive as a SAB in game. Ehh SABs are attacking with some damage on their status spells, relatively crappy damage usually but still, damage+status on the spells. They are like pseudo COMs with their ability to slow/solidify/steady/hold chains preventing decay/chain gauge loss/sharp decrease. SAB/RAV - RAV/SAB first in the Vanille-Sazh/Sazh/Vanille chapters to stick + steady a chain the RAV has started building makes a world of difference (in addition to the SAB landing debuffs to weaken enemy defences) Compared to say trying to use a RAV/RAV deck from the beginning, driving the chain up only to see it nose dive sharply/lose the chain due to only having two RAVs and lack of role levels, also because RAVs can't prevent chain decay themselves)

Rest later~
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:50:36 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 05:26:47 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Hect (Grandia III)
v Emilia (SaGa Frontier)
Lans Tartare (Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together) v Harken (Wild ARMs)- luuuulz. WA1 form.

Middle

Eiko Carol (Final Fantasy IX) v Alma Beoulve (Final Fantasy Tactics)

Light

Rufus Shinra (Final Fantasy VII)
v Meena Mahabala (Dragon Quest IV)
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 05:31:41 AM »
I'd imagine they either allow initial tentacles (like in-game) or just see his durability as good enough. Heat has Almighty damage so... doesn't he just win if he does get a turn? At least I thought P4 didn't allow doubleturns.

In both games, crits give the critter an extra action. Souji simply needs to wait until he takes down the tentacles with a crit, then he can land a killing strike.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 06:32:03 AM »
To Djinn: Also, Raine can halve thunder, which fucks over Rauny beyond belief. Raine can heal and outslug from there. No way is Yuri faster than Cid, also. And Fogel shrugs off counters, he's like 8x PC against physicals. The only thing he even slightly fears is Aether, and Ike is almost certainly not getting that off in time.

What kind of averages give Fogel 8xPCHP? I mean, he was awesome in-game, but not -that- awesome.

Forgot that Raine halved thunder.

Still leaning that Yuri can take a Cid hit and then OHKOs back.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 06:43:02 AM »

Lans Tartare (Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together) v Harken (Wild ARMs) - haven't mathed it out, but from just recently playing OB, I'm not sure I see Paladin Lans as Heavy...

Lans Tartare isn't in Ogre Battle.  You're thinking of Lans Hamilton.  Easy enough mistake; that's actually how the opening battle of Tactics Ogre happens.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 06:50:21 AM »
Oh hey, look at that, it -does- say TO and not OB. Change that to an Abstain as I've never played TO.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 09:56:26 AM »
In both games, crits give the critter an extra action. Souji simply needs to wait until he takes down the tentacles with a crit, then he can land a killing strike.
Souji can't wait since the freeze will mean he's fucked (if the damage doesn't already)

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 04:44:37 PM »

What kind of averages give Fogel 8xPCHP? I mean, he was awesome in-game, but not -that- awesome.

Forgot that Raine halved thunder.

Still leaning that Yuri can take a Cid hit and then OHKOs back.

He reduces physicals by 90% or so. Fogel defense is beyond stupid, he has a shitload of STR and 70 physical resistance which makes him extremely hard to damage.  He's also got good evasion as well.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:46:13 PM by superaielman »
-------------------

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 05:53:49 PM »

Ah OK votes.  For the record, I'm pretty sure VC Vyse dies to Zerase too for the same reason - 2HKOed first.

As for Beatrice / Tifa, if you hand out materia, doesn't Tifa just heal and spam limits?  Beatrice's damage is bad even if she gets unscaled HP....

Man, you say that like it's a bad thing.  :(
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 01:05:22 AM »
Godlike

Claude C. Kenni (Star Ocean: The Second Story) v Riou (Suikoden II) - SO2 equipment nonsense.
Seymour (Final Fantasy X) v Albedo (Xenosaga Series) - Albedo 2 for me.
Souji Seta (Persona 4) v Heat (Digital Devil Saga) - Ziodyne => Hassou Tobi works for me. Souji -does- lose if Heat gets a turn to tentacles, though, just through sheer impossibility of breaking through the walling game. Also, what the fuck, Freeze hype? Souji can just immune Ice and trivialize the status, not to mention DDS Freeze is -shit- in a duel, especially against Souji "I immune physicals seven million ways to Sunday" Seta. IMPROVED CRITICAL HIT RATE UNTIL THE ENEMY GETS A TURN AGAINST SOMEONE WHO CAN'T EVEN BE PHYSICALLY DAMAGED OFF AWFUL PHYSICAL DAMAGE WOOHOO MARDI GRAS - no.

Layna (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) v Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series) - <Layna> INSTANT DEATH? OHSHI- *Deadly Fingertips.*
Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series) v Jenna Angel (Digital Devil Saga) - Guess who doesn't have a debuff game? Say hi to Bhairava hax, Yuri.

Heavy

Arngrim (Valkyrie Profile Series) v Marcello (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of Cursed King) - sure why not
Adelbert Steiner (Final Fantasy IX) v Margulis (Xenosaga: Jenseits von Gut und Bose) - FF9 equipment nonsense!
Kary (Final Fantasy) v Lloyd (Legend of Dragoon) - sure why not x 2

Hect (Grandia III) v Emilia (SaGa Frontier) - <Emelia> I CAN'T OHKO OHSHI- *Freeze.*
Lans Tartare (Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together) v Harken (Wild ARMs) - Physicals and Holy against Harken is such a great idea. On the other hand, ITD against Lans is wonderful.
Ike (Fire Emblem Series) v Fogel (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen) - FE9 Ike doesn't even double Fogel. I think his only chance lies in getting a Lucky Aether string, and that's not very likely.

Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) v Caina (Wild ARMs 2) - Kneejerk is that she gets just enough damage to down Flay, and the randostatus could screw things further.
Gallows Carradine (Wild ARMs 3) v Graham Cray (Suikoden IV) - This fight utterly sucks and Cray only wins it because Gallows sucks at building FP while dealing damage and 20% healing goes nowhere fast. Well, and I think Cray resists water anyway?

Eiko Carol (Final Fantasy IX) v Alma Beoulve (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Yeah.

Kid (Chrono Cross) v Rafa Galthana (Final Fantasy Tactics) - rafa
Koroku (Suikoden III) v Akaghi (Suikoden IV) - Dogs.
Aeris Gainsborough (Final Fantasy VII) v Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) - My kneejerk is that Aeris borderline 10HKOs. That's not breaking through Distortion -ever-.

Evil Gaia (Grandia) v Mullen (Grandia) - Whichever way it goes, Tonfa loses.
Rufus Shinra (Final Fantasy VII) v Meena Mahabala (Dragon Quest IV) - Rufus is so bad he struggles to 3HKO even Meena.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....